Panel wipe Opps

O

Oddball

I have been using AA paints and I have just wiped my work with Panel wipe de-greaser and its taken off some of the paint!
I gave the whole thing a couple of coats of base coat clear, heat set it thinking that would stop it and the panel wipe is still taking the paint off!
Any ideas why this is happening? I have panel wiped all my stuff in the past prior to clearing and never had a problem!
What a mare .......
Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Marty

Marty, tack rag instead of degreasing. Automotive processes are designed to be prepped, primed painted and cleared.
There's a product by house of color called SG100, it's an intercoat clear which is designed for application mid job and can be degreased.
We would never degrease once we had started airbrushing though, even the best quality degreasers can take off layers of actual basecoat (solvent based).
Don't degrease and simply use tack rags or sg100 intercoat clear.

Only use degreaser before you start your AB work. Don't use degreaser after your artwork. I use Wicked paint and they recommend odorless mineral spirits to clean with. Although its not necessary, I'm a bit anal about preventing problems with my work, so I use the odorless mineral spirits periodically. After you wipe the artwork down with it, while wet, it shows how the work will look clear coated. This also helps you to see if anything needs correcting before clearing. With the hood project, the body shop that cleared it also used the odorless mineral spirits and tacked it before clearing it. No issues. :)

Yep, everyone has answered this for ya!! NEVER use degreaser after you do your art work. A tack cloth is all you really need. With mineral spirits, just watch your cloth for fuzzies...those suck :malicious:

Morning Guys n Galls.
Thanks for your prompt answers. Really helpful, too late for me but helpful :rolleyes:
I was wanting to see what this Coffin was gonna look when cleared as @CALz AyrWKz was saying.
After not doing this for two years because of a serious illness I seem to have forgotten things and I'm making basic mistakes. I won't make this one again though :sus:
Thanks again and I think we can close this one out now :)
Marty

Yep, everyone has answered this for ya!! NEVER use degreaser after you do your art work. A tack cloth is all you really need. With mineral spirits, just watch your cloth for fuzzies...those suck :malicious:
Yup, Meesh is right. I forgot to mention I used a lint free cloth.

Only done that a hundred times LOL, sucks when it does happen but when doing an important or paying job on steel I spray and move my panel around wearing cotton gloves, saves the need for degreasing so late in the process and after coping the odd scratch with a tack rag, especially on the lighter overspray coats I use I've just gotten into the habit of spraying the dust off with an airgun instead....good luck.

Back