Panhead here….

Panhead

Double Actioner
Hello -

I live in Chancellorsville Battlefield, Virginia.

Momma gave me a single action Paasche a long time ago (when I was a child). Have always enjoyed the brush but used it infrequently.

I am an airbrush doodler.

Recently, I brush painted with my 3 year old grand daughter and we both had a marvelous time!

Our painting event sparked my desire to dust off my Passche, which I did…… but it’s so antiquated and after enjoying some wonderful lessons on YouTube it was clear that I need to upgrade my stuff to really advance my skills and better enjoy the art of airbrushing.

So, I‘m here…. a young tutorling - surely I will have some entry level questions.

That’s my intro, take care

Welcome to the family.
plenty for you to read and catch up on, when you’re ready just post up a question or six

Welcome to the club :)

Lots of knowledge around here to help You out if needed.

Hi Panhead. Welcome to the forum. You must have a Paasche H. They are very good for what they can do. Any ideas what brush(s) you may be considering?

Do ya got a Panhead?

Hi Panhead. Welcome to the forum. You must have a Paasche H. They are very good for what they can do. Any ideas what brush(s) you may be considering?

Do ya got a Panhead?

2D - yes, it was/is an h model….

Still researching and undecided on a new brush, it is a bit tough with so many options. However, with my cost point at around $100.00 my options have narrowed down!

One thing I did like about the vintage paasche was the siphon cup. I had a few extra cups and it made color changes super easy. So I am thinking siphon over gravity, but I see how popular gravity‘s are and I suppose it is for good reason. But I’ve never used a gravity feed. Definitely not absolute on siphon just liked it from previous usage.

I see myself using the brush for watercolors, automotive, motorcycles and I do leather crafting too and would like to incorporate airbrushing into my leather works.

Oh, and I also want to airbrush my name on my wife’s arm…. I’ve been wanting to have it tattooed on her arm forever, but she always refuses. But I think I might have a chance since they apparently make temporary tattoo ink for airbrushing. Lol……

So, if you have any suggestions on a new airbrush, I’m all ears!

I do have a pan, she is my first wife - bought her when I was 15, long before I met my ”human wife” - lol….. It’s a bit of a hodge podge, but it’s my baby….. The bottom end is a 1949, the top end in a 1972 shovel, frame is a knuckle and the forks are 50’s pan….. I mentored with some custom auto painters while in high school and the pan was my canvas. We changed the color every winter, added chrome and my mentors would spray murals and help me with the custom work. Great times……

I appreciate the warm welcomes, thank you.

2D - yes, it was/is an h model….

Still researching and undecided on a new brush, it is a bit tough with so many options. However, with my cost point at around $100.00 my options have narrowed down!

One thing I did like about the vintage paasche was the siphon cup. I had a few extra cups and it made color changes super easy. So I am thinking siphon over gravity, but I see how popular gravity‘s are and I suppose it is for good reason. But I’ve never used a gravity feed. Definitely not absolute on siphon just liked it from previous usage.

I see myself using the brush for watercolors, automotive, motorcycles and I do leather crafting too and would like to incorporate airbrushing into my leather works.

Oh, and I also want to airbrush my name on my wife’s arm…. I’ve been wanting to have it tattooed on her arm forever, but she always refuses. But I think I might have a chance since they apparently make temporary tattoo ink for airbrushing. Lol……

So, if you have any suggestions on a new airbrush, I’m all ears!

I do have a pan, she is my first wife - bought her when I was 15, long before I met my ”human wife” - lol….. It’s a bit of a hodge podge, but it’s my baby….. The bottom end is a 1949, the top end in a 1972 shovel, frame is a knuckle and the forks are 50’s pan….. I mentored with some custom auto painters while in high school and the pan was my canvas. We changed the color every winter, added chrome and my mentors would spray murals and help me with the custom work. Great times……

I appreciate the warm welcomes, thank you.
you do leather craft? i need a simple heavy gauge leather knife roll :)

Welcome home Panhead Ya must be a good old Harley man with a name like that or ya momma hit you with a pan too many time growing up LOL.
Well for some of the thing you want to do a gravity feed would be the ticket but being you do leather work siphon feed would be a lot easier on color changes with leather dyes . The thing I found for me was either I was hitting the siphon feed bottles on the item I was painting for things like bike tins due to it is more fine detail work then a car hood or trunk lid.
color change is more work with a gravity vs a side feed of a siphon bottom feed . But if you want the best of both world look at side feed brushes , You can have multiple cups which makes color change easier, same line of site as with the old siphon feeds and it will do fine details.

While this one is just a little over your 100 bone limit 10 bucks shouldn't break the bank too bad
https://spraygunner.com/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-276-0-3mm/ So far the ps 770 I bought has held up as good and in some case better then my Iwata Micron.
It'll give you something to ponder on .

@Mr.Micron thanks for the suggestion, looks like a nice option and from the reviews…. the GSI Creos line has some very satisfied artists.

I see airbrushes that offer multiple sized tips and nozzles included with the airbrush (or the ability to purchase and install different needles and nozzles), is that something that is important in the consideration? A needle size in the .25 - .33 is adequate for most situations?

@Mr.Micron thanks for the suggestion, looks like a nice option and from the reviews…. the GSI Creos line has some very satisfied artists.

I see airbrushes that offer multiple sized tips and nozzles included with the airbrush (or the ability to purchase and install different needles and nozzles), is that something that is important in the consideration? A needle size in the .25 - .33 is adequate for most situations?
yes being able to swap needle and nozzle on one gun saves money. Hard thing is making sure to store them as a set.
But like everything from tools to houses as far as if it is important or not depends on you.
As for me I have the different sized set ups for all my brushes. my CS can be a .35 or a .50 , my micron can be .18 or .23 and so on .
Mainly I have found I go my how a brush feels in my hand .
To me the GSI cero feels the same in my hand as the Iwata. Unlike the H&S and the old Paasche Vl I fist stared with.
But I always suggest make a budget your willing to invest and stick to it. Given your budget was 100 bones I thought that would make a good versatile brush. Granted extra cups will cost you a bit but they can come over time.
First things first you have to pick a brush then learn how it shoots , But difference going from a single action to a dual actions brush.
It was hard at first to remember to keep air on and pull back for paint, But with time much like leather paring you will get a feel for how far to pull back on the trigger to get the amount of paint you want to come out. leather paring you get a feel for how much pressure to put down so you do not ruin a piece of leather.

I like your choice of avatar. It looks like a Dave Mann painting, an Indian riding an Indian 4 chopper. Then again my eyes are old and the avatar is small.

2D- Your eyes are perfect and you are correct on all points!

It is an in-line Indian 4 with a Native American pilot painted by Dave Mann.

I love Dave Mann, to me…. his works always seemed to go beyond the bikes and babes and he captured the spirit of friends.

He was a great painter. I had a long subscription to Easyrider back in the 70s. Bought it for the articles don't ya know:thumbsup:. I loved his paintings too. You described him well.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind I post this Panhead. Please allow me a bit of nostalgia.

I think my ER subscription ran for 3 years. IMO this was the most beautiful woman to ever grace the cover. She was also the only woman who did not appear topless inside the mag. To me she did not need to. She was incredibly gorgeous. If it sounds like I had a crush on her you are right. Big time.

The pic is off eBay. I don't have the magazine.

ermag.jpg

Last edited:
@2Diverse

Yes, one beautiful lady indeed….. and no tattoos either! At least on the parts of her body that we can see, lol….

I think you should purchase that mag off eBay and she can be your next canvas!…. If you don’t do portraits, you could always start ….. or at least you will still have the mag :)

I have several boxes of Easyriders somewhere….. I like seeing the very artistiic old choppers from 40 years ago, the painters were incrediblly talented incorporating flake, leaf, murals.

How about the vans back in the days with airbrushed murals from front to back and side to side - the artwork on those vans was off the chart.

The mag is from 1976. Tattoos weren't a "thing" back then. I had a custom painted '73 SuperGlide, purchased in 1975. That is when I first learned how to AB. I found a couple copies of the book I learned from as my original was long gone. There were bikes, cars and vans. A van is quite a large canvas. '70s paint jobs are still my favorite.

I may buy the mag sometime. Right now just the cover is a good memory:love:.

Last edited:
Still contemplating my new brush.

Very interested in the side feed GSI Creos that Mr. Micron referenced above, but it’s currently on back order.

The GSI Creos have very, very favorable reviews all over the internet, on the spray gunner site and on this forum as well.

I’m patient and in no super hurry….. but while I”m waiting this setup keeps coming to my mind. It looks like a nice set up and appears to be a great value.

Thoughts?

Still contemplating my new brush.

Very interested in the side feed GSI Creos that Mr. Micron referenced above, but it’s currently on back order.

The GSI Creos have very, very favorable reviews all over the internet, on the spray gunner site and on this forum as well.

I’m patient and in no super hurry….. but while I”m waiting this setup keeps coming to my mind. It looks like a nice set up and appears to be a great value.

Thoughts?

Only thing I am not sold on is the air line. I've never had any luck with the hard plastic air lines .
For 8 dollars more you can get the https://spraygunner.com/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-270-0-2mm-no-package/ which is like the version 1 Micron CM-C+ I use this hose which has held up great over the decades https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Model-Kits/Airbrushes/Iwata-Braided-Air-Hose---10/p/838 Plus having 10 foot of hoses make painting larger things like Tractors( Farm type) and cars and bike tins easier.

As far as the ps-267 it is a great brush. But either of them fast color changing isn't something they do like side feeds and bottom feeds.

But you get use to it after a while .

@Mr.Micron I was kinda weighing in the inclusion of the air line into the overall decision not really even recognizing it is hard coiled plastic, which I too dislike. So your points on the benefits of the 10’ braided hose are very beneficial.

For the minimal additional cost and the additional features received it seems as though the 270 is an outstanding value.

I dont want to blow out my budget on a brush as I still need paint!….. and with a side feed I’d still have to buy cups to enjoy the features of quick color changes.

Spraygunner advised the side feed will be restocked in two weeks, so that’s reasonable.

I guess this is why people have multiple brushes, benefits and drawbacks to all of them.

And lastly and most importantly it appears with either the 267, 270 or side feed I will be able to airbrush my name on my lovely wife’s arm!,!, LOL lol

Thank you for the response, my best to all!

Back