Part 1. Tutorials: How to Control an Airbrush!

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbrushtutor

Love Spreading Overseer
The Part 1 Tutorials:
The foundation of airbrushing is learning how to control one control one correctly. Airbrush control is the first stepping stone for beginners and should constantly be practised, trained and improved through the rest of your airbrushing career - no matter how good you are!

Individual
How to hold an airbrush - like a pen!
**How to Hold an Airbrush

How to control an airbrush - in depth tutorial on double actioning!
**How to Control an Airbrush

How to airbrush a line! - an in depth analysis of how to airbrush lines correctly.
**How to Airbrush a Line!

How to airbrush 2/3 of the most commonly used effects - the blend and reverse dagger stroke.
**Airbrushing Effects!

The dagger stroke! & how it's executed correctly. This is likely the most commonly used effect in airbrushing.
**Airbrush Effects 2

Airbrush control exercises! The most beneficial of the part one tutorials.. This will teach you how to fine tune your airbrush control, increase speed and confidence!
**Airbrush Control Exercises 1
**Airbrush Control Exercises 2

The final project for the part 1 tutorials. Reference & mark up template is supplied for you to download and practise a human eye using the techniques that you have learnt and practised from the part 1 tutorials!
**Airbrushing the Eye!

All
Includes all of the tutorials shown at airbrushtutor.com.
**Airbrush Tutorials!

Last edited:
Hi there, very new here, and think what you are doing is great, especially for beginners like myself, I have taken up airbrushing to mainly do chocolate and cake decoration, so any tips on working with 3D objects would be very much welcome

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious, what kind of airbrush and paints do you use? I have to iwata hp-cs wondering what my limitations are.. I am sure I will find out once I start getting into it more.. I want to use HOK for auto and I use spectra-tex for water based paint.. I'm still in the basics though. This weekend I am going to practice and try to prefect using your tutorial procedures.

Just curious, what kind of airbrush and paints do you use? I have to iwata hp-cs wondering what my limitations are.. I am sure I will find out once I start getting into it more.. I want to use HOK for auto and I use spectra-tex for water based paint.. I'm still in the basics though. This weekend I am going to practice and try to prefect using your tutorial procedures.

It is not the air brush that makes great art but the artist who has put in the practice time to learn the airbrush.
Basically you can get great detail with your hp-cs . It is a great all around airbrush that will serve you well.

Mitch does have the best tutorials for beginner as well as those who have been painting for a while. I am glad he started this site and wish he had started it about 4 years ago....

Wow, thanks Herb.. I was going to buy the 20 dollar airbrush at first, until I started researching, then I was going to buy the patriot.. I decided on the iwata hp-cs because I hate it when I get something new, and as you use it, you find out that it doesn't have the abilities you expected. So I always try to research and buy nice stuff.. Thanks for confirming that it is a good starter brush and as I get better, I will be able to find the detail I am looking for as soon as I learn to apply it. Thanks you have been a great help!

Yep they are great brushes, I use an HP-C+ with a 0.3 needle and using com-art straight out of the bottle can pull very fine lines.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to pull fine lines. I have some com-art. I tried fine lines with spectra-tex last night, and I noticed a lil flow problem @ 15
Psi, so I reduced it a little, and then spiders, so I'm trying to find that happy medium.

Hey Bro I just started airbrushing, and was having the same problem, I think you would love the WICKED LINE from createx, it can be reduced to almost transparent and still flow soooo smooth, I have no problem shooting it through my Eclipse HP-CS at 15psi!

Also big thanks to AIRBRUSH TUTOR for creating this awesome forum community and the informative youtube vids, highly appreciated man!! Thanks so much!

i hate wicked/createx paints. go for etac/trident instead. or "fx" inks. really good stuff. dont even bother with wicked/createx if you have nozzle 0.23 and smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i hate wicked/createx paints. go for etac/trident instead. or "fx" inks. really good stuff. dont even bother with wicked/createx if you have nozzle 0.23 and smaller

I use Wicked Detail line (transparents) with a Badger Velocity .21 nozzle and W500 reducer and I don't really have that many issues. I find that painting can vary from day to day even using the same paint, reducer, psi. One day may be humid, or cool, or overcast, ect., lol the point is it is rarely get up jump in and paint consistently every day.

I know this is an old reply buuuuutt Really.. care to elaborate?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old reply buuuuutt Really.. care to elaborate?

There is no fact behind it, just most likely frustration. I would agree that ETAC sprays better than CI or Wicked. Both work just fine with the proper reductions though. I spray them through my H&S Infinity(.15mm) and Evolution(.2mm) all the time. Wicked has aweful tip dry though. Watch any Cory St Clair DVD, he picks his needle about every 10 seconds.

Wow these tutorials helped a lot, I am new to air brushing and I wanted to start using an air brush to make custom funko pops, because before I was using acrylics and they didn't look that smooth, but your tutorials taught me the basics and how to actually use my airbrush, now I have to start using it on the pops and see how it turns out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back