Pen spring in Iwata

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
The search for a spring from a pen that fits an Iwata has always been a pain. And when you find one it is always in a no-name brand pen and you can not help people more then that.

Well, till today. I found a well know branded pen that has the perfect spring. To start off with, it is pretty nice pen with a nice erasable feature. It's the Pilot Frixion Clicker. It sells for about $1.50 here in South Africa and are available in 5 or 6 colours. Not that the springs are any different in the various colours. I use them in the office so buying a few just for the springs are not a complete waste as I can just hold on to the refills.

pens.jpg

It is a bit shorter and softer than the stock spring.
side_by_side.jpg

Just about the same diameter.
top_view.jpg

This is on needle shaft of an Eclipse. I tried it on a HP-B and a Micron and the fit is exactly the same. On the Micron you have to turn the spring tensioner all the way in. It's got a very nice linear feel though out the whole travel of the trigger.
on_needle_shaft.jpg

I hope this helps someone.

Looks good Andre', does it give the same sort of feel like the szolt spring does for the air valve?

Lee

@jord001, it does like almost the same effort is needed with both.

I will see now if the expanded one returns to its former shape after a while or not.

Nice find! I'll have to find one of those pens to give it a try, as I've always wished the Eclipse's spring had more adjustment range.

Ok think this spring may be one of my newbie problems, on my bcs when I pull back on the trigger I'm expecting paint to come out but it doesn't till I pull further back, it's a bit frustrating and hard to control, never occurred to me that the spring is wore out but makes sense now as I bought my iwata bcs used.

Ok think this spring may be one of my newbie problems, on my bcs when I pull back on the trigger I'm expecting paint to come out but it doesn't till I pull further back, it's a bit frustrating and hard to control, never occurred to me that the spring is wore out but makes sense now as I bought my iwata bcs used.

I spring does not control when the paint comes out when you pull back. It only affects how much force it take to pull the trigger back. But if it is too light, it will not shut off the paint in the nozzle and you will have a constant flow. Thin your paint more. That is usually the problem.

Ok thanks, hmm just seems like the action sometimes is not consistent but this can totally be my inexperience, I usually do thin my paint down but I am paining in some humid weather.

Ok thanks, hmm just seems like the action sometimes is not consistent but this can totally be my inexperience, I usually do thin my paint down but I am paining in some humid weather.

Every gun is different. What works with one does not with another. Also on a BCS you need a little more air pressure than on gravity guns. And make sure your paint bottle/cup is in securely. If there is a leak it will not suck up the paint correctly.

Back