For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

picture of the year

Discussion in 'Picture of the Month!' started by Tsunami airbrush, Oct 13, 2013.

1. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

I think that there should be less focus on prizes and more on the reason a person is participating in the first place. The spirit of the competition is initially designed to bring the members / artists involved together and hone and sharpen their skills to aid them in becoming artists. There is nothing better to get people to participate than a friendly competition, after all that is why this forum exists in the first place...to HELP others and as TUTOR says "spread the love". As for prizes they are cool to have an opportunity to win but it is not what it is all about. Now from the sponsors point of view, they do it for several reasons...they want to help as well but also have other reasons as well, BUSINESS that's right because everyone that sees, hears of, and participates it a potential customer to them and there is nothing wrong with that at all. The bottom line is if we participate we have already won because we painted, we pushed ourselves to do more and be better at it, and that's the whole purpose...isn't it?? Prizes if any are just icing on the cake! This is just my own personal opinion (doesn't mean squat) lol I personally did not have tons of detail in my entry but I wanted to focus on the quality.... even if it was just stick figures lol
  2. AndreZA

AndreZA Elite Member! Elite Member! Very Likeable!

No prizes should be awarded. You can get a "Picture of the year painter" tag under your handle and that is that.
  3. CaparzoSK

CaparzoSK Needle-chuck Ninja

A tag like that would be best prize!

Odoslané z GT-I9300 pomocou Tapatalk
  4. Seamonkey

Seamonkey Air-Valve Autobot!

I agree, no prizes. It's not a competition between us to see who is the best. A tag under the name is all you need with a pic displayed on the front page, just like the Pom. The Pom has been a great addition to the forum but I still feel that people look at it like a competition. It was designed for who created a cool piece BUT also has a WIP thread to help others with how they created it.
    Artist of the year says it all, it should be all we need. Even then (if I have a vote) there will be other factors that help me make the decision of who I vote for, not just for the best artist.
    This place is fun, let's keep it fun. Anytime a physical prize is involved, people become defensive and lose their mind, lol!!

"If your not willing to learn, no one can help you. If your determined to learn, then no one can stop you!!"
  5. Jedi Weasel

Jedi Weasel Needle-chuck Ninja

I agree with that! It could be also a simple Star with the year inside ( due to the existing POM tag, and tags like moderator, Editor, etc ) ..! lol And that could be permanent, instead of passing for other member at the end of the year, the star (or other symbol) , remains in your nickname area independently if you win again or not. In the case of winning again then you have 2 stars.. for example : one star with the year 2013, and if you win again in 2040, then you'll have another star with the year 2040.. :D lol 2040 :)
  6. Kajzer

Kajzer Young Tutorling

i dont see why not, its a quite a good idea.
    theres pic of the month contest on this forum, 12 of those are in for pic of the year.

good one
  7. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

Sorry for giving your post the readers digest treatment Seamonkey but the points I left are true!!!
    - except the last one, I can't blame the lure of a prize for losing my mind, I've been trying to find it for years after I left the front door open and it wandered off somewhere!!

Seriously though, prizes shouldn't enter into your decision to enter any of the comps here. Do it for the challenge or the glory, what ever the reason, just do it
    . I've valid reasons why I've delayed picking up my airbrush but my 'excuse jar' is nearly empty so shortly I should be able to join the 'tears and tiaras' crowd as we joust for notoriety amongst our forum family.
  8. foreveryoung001

foreveryoung001 Detail Decepticon!

The prizes that Mitch rounds up for the competitions act as an incentive, not only to push ourselves (forum members) into new and challenging areas, but they also help draw new members in, who come in to try and win the prizes, but might wind up staying and sharing in the fun we have 'round here. Unfortunately, I think some people come for the prizes, and whether they win or not, we never here from them again.

Seems to me, that an Artist of the Year award would be for work already completed... perhaps not... but sort of seems like it would be defeating the whole purpose of what Mitch has created here if it were a competition for prizes. I would love to acknowledge one of our own as the best of the year, but in my mind, it should be one of the truly talented artists, who has been a part of this forum for a good long while, who's been putting up WIP threads, with helpful tips and techniques that they used, and has already been spreading the love. I mean, there have been tremendous paintings done this year, evidenced by the fact that it gets tougher and tougher to cast a vote for the POM, but as far as this forum goes, does the "best" painting mean they're the best artist?... When it comes to this forum, the best artist for me is going to be someone who has the talent, but also the willingness to share their knowledge, and a history of doing, just that, on this forum.

Maybe I'm way off here... Oh, somebody smarter than me figure it all out.
  9. Squishy

Squishy Queen Clown Slayer Mod

Pick up that "excuse jar", dump it out, and get some air blowing Jackie, and get painting and swearing along with us Lol! You know you want to LOL!!!!
  10. shadow2462

shadow2462 Elite Member! Elite Member!

It is a shame that people can't do things for all the right reasons, but if everyone thought and acted the same this world would be sooo boring. I think people should realize they win by participating, with that being said having prizes is the lure so one has to expect what happens. I don't think that prizes should be removed because in some cases a project such as this would not be possible without the support of businesses so it is a good thing. As for the term "prize" it could be something as a simple recognition of progress as an artist to any type of tangible item, in either case it would be prudent to view any/all with the same value...the product of "hard work". SUGGESTION: maybe there could be a page or a section in the forum to recognize artists for their progress, contributions, ect. there could be several categories. I know it means a little bit more work for the site techs but just a thought. In any case you can't please all the people all the time. lol
  11. Squishy

As the POM is done for the love of it ,to share how you did it, and for the appreciation of your peers, I think POY should go along the same lines. I like the idea of a little star of recognition under your user name though. I think any one who wants to should be able to enter one piece, the art they are most proud of creating during the last year, (whether it was for a comp, POM, or just something they are proud of) and then have a vote.
  12. JackEb

JackEb The Dragon Hunter Staff Member Admin

I'm always blowing air ! Just never any paint to go along with it :)
    As you know squishy I had an 'issue' with my trigger finger recently which put things on hold for awhile but that is resolving itself. So fingers crossed it won't be long.

I want to give this airbrushing 100% of my mind , body and soul and at the moment that's not possible. I've got all the gear ready to rock and roll and while I'll be entering into the spirit of competitions it will only be a ' participation' star that I'm likely to see alongside my name for a long while - and that's Ok
  13. Squishy

Great to hear it's on the mend Jackie! It must be frustrating the hell out of you, so good to know there's light at the end of the tunnel. The day you get to put that gear into action, I will be raising a celebratory glass for you, and hope you'll be doing the same, you'll have earned it!!!