Plastic primer or adhesion promoter?

waynem325

Gravity Guru
Hi all,

I'm going to paint a safety helmet for a friend and although I'll be finishing off with a 1k or a 2k clear, I'm wondering how to start off?
For pre painted surfaces I have been using a can of standard automotive primer, but as I'll be painting straight onto plastic would I need to use a plastic primer or an adhesion promoter?
I currently have quite a few cans of automotive primer but nothing else. Ideally I'd like to use that and not have to spend more money, but ultimately I'd like the job to be done properly and not peel/ruin after a short time - is it worth investing or will I be okay with what I've got?

As always your comments are appreciated. :)

Ps - this is more a practice job than anything, and if it turns out okay THEN I'll give it to my friend (he currently knows nothing about it)

Anything plastic really needs an adhesion promoter used, I am not sure what brands are available in you area but I use bulldog , then base coat, art work and clear.

Thanks Mr M.
I've never used them before so I'll prepare for another new experience!
There are various brands here (UK) but I'll aim for the most affordable. All the ones I've seen seem to be clear in colour-are other colours available?

Clear is what it comes in . Mainly because it is more like a clear primer that will give a good tooth to the base coat.
I use comet cleanser and a scotch bright pad to scrub the plastic first, Then wash that off good and then use a mild wax and grease remover ,
Then apply the adhesion promoter and make sure to follow the direction on the can , Some will tell you totally dry and some will only have it tacky before adding you base coat.
Then it is just base coat , art work and clear.
so you can think of the adhesion promoter kind of like a primer that give a longer life to the paint job on plastic.
Bulldog runs 20 US dollars for a rattle spray can of it.I have tried another brand but it gave me fits.

Fits? Hahaha haha!
Bulldog is definitely the can for you!
I haven't seen any rattle cans of ad promoter, but there are plenty of plastic primer in a can. I'm guessing these are totally different beasts and the promoter is what I want?
It is available in 1k and 2k - should I lose much sleep over which one to go for?

Yes, go for a 2k.
Ask them for advice on application also, adhesion promoter shouldn't be applied thick, one light coat normally.

I just did a hard hat, I used the duplicolor adhesion promoter, worked perfectly. It was like 10 bucks at O'Reilly's. They recommend to tack coats 2-3 minutes apart followed by the base color within 10 minutes. I used the Auto Air Sealer, it works great as well. Here's a link to the WIP.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/bump-cap.10321/

You have excellent advice already from Herb Wayne, but very often I see plastic helmets mentioned, my concern here is that a lot of helmets are actually made of fibre glass or even carbon fibre instead of plastic, it will generally depend on what the helmet is used for and hew stringent the safety requirements are
I just did a hard hat, I used the duplicolor adhesion promoter, worked perfectly. It was like 10 bucks at O'Reilly's.
O'really? :whistling:

I just did a hard hat, I used the duplicolor adhesion promoter, worked perfectly. It was like 10 bucks at O'Reilly's. They recommend to tack coats 2-3 minutes apart followed by the base color within 10 minutes. I used the Auto Air Sealer, it works great as well. Here's a link to the WIP.
http://www.airbrushforum.org/threads/bump-cap.10321/
LOL The guy at O'Reilly's told me that they had had some issue with the dupllicolor not spraying that is why I spent the extra and just got the Bulldog.

Thanks guys...
Any idea how long this stuff keeps after opening? I don't have any plans for plastic jobs after this.

Back