please help clear coat

G

Gainey

Hi everyone,
i am new to ab, and want some info on clear coat.....i am planning on painting my xbox with wicked colours, what can i put on after the paint to proctect it and bring our the colours...????
also i want to do the same on any paintings i atempt, is their a specific one or is their something i can get from bunnings or super cheap etc

My first few airbrushings on metal were using SuperCheap acrylic aerosols which I just sprayed into a jar and then poured into the brush. I used an acrylic aerosol gloss clear from SuperCheap which was surprisingly glossy.

Don't put acrylic over Enamel though. It will bubble.

whell since ur new, if u paint the 2k system with a pistol you'll screw up the first couple of times, so i advise u to use a rattle can, it will be shiny, maybe a cut and polish needed.
but for an XBOX and a newb, just use rattle can clear, dont know about ur brands, i heard of krylon and so, but its not my terrain, ive used dupli color and its good.

Hi everyone,
i am new to ab, and want some info on clear coat.....i am planning on painting my xbox with wicked colours, what can i put on after the paint to proctect it and bring our the colours...????
also i want to do the same on any paintings i atempt, is their a specific one or is their something i can get from bunnings or super cheap etc

Gainey, if you don't already know, before you paint use an adhesive promoter before putting any paint on plastics. Clean and scuff your surface then apply your promoter. As for clear I have heard of the 2k in a rattle can. Coast Airbrush carries one. On projects like this and small panels I use that duplicolor clear that rick mentioned. The price is good and it holds up well. Just load it in your paint gun right out of the can. I believe they also make it in rattle cans. Be careful of your base coat and what you use. When I first started I had used rattle cans for a base coat. Even if they had gloss I just scuffed them and painted my airbrush work on it, but sometimes the clear would have a bad reaction with the base coat and wrinkle up. If you are going to go with rattle cans try and use the same clear coat brand as your base coat. Just something to keep in mind. I would try your products on a test panel first. Also, I wouldn't spray clear through your airbrush. Intercoat clears are fine but not a top coat clear. Hope this helps ya!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gainey, if you don't already know, before you paint use an adhesive promoter before putting any paint on plastics. Clean and scuff your surface then apply your promoter. As for clear I have heard of the 2k in a rattle can. Coast Airbrush carries one. On projects like this and small panels I use that duplicolor clear that rick mentioned. The price is good and it holds up well. Just load it in your paint gun right out of the can. I believe they also make it in rattle cans. Be careful of your base coat and what you use. When I first started I had used rattle cans for a base coat. Even if they had gloss I just scuffed them and painted my airbrush work on it, but sometimes the clear would have a bad reaction with the base coat and wrinkle up. If you are going to go with rattle cans try and use the same clear coat brand as your base coat. Just something to keep in mind. I would try your products on a test panel first. Also, I wouldn't spray clear through your airbrush. Intercoat clears are fine but not a top coat clear. Hope this helps ya!

Quick question Hab, won't Duplicolour clear lift acrylic paint? if not I have some in house I can use for my heli's instead of acrylic clear.

Mad Brush, Good question I am not sure. I know it is a lacquer clear. I have only had problems with it when I use rattle can paints for my base coats. I use it with all my Auto Air and Wicked paints and HOK paints. I sometimes use the duplicolor base coats as well. They are decent for the price. I get the quarts for around $25.00 and I can get them at my nearest Auto Zone. Like I said I try to stick to the same base coats especially if your using the rattle cans. I am only speaking from my personal experience. I usually try a new product on something first.

Hi there, i am only an amatuer , but this is how i paint a hardhat. Firstly i hand sand with wet and dry paper maybe 800 to 1000 grit or a scotchbrite pad to remove all gloss. Then a wax and silicone remover. Then a couple of coats of spraycan automotive primer . then a very light sand before applying my design , either in water based paints like Trident or acrylic base coat. i then leave a day or 2 to harden before applying 5 or 6 light coats of spraycan acrylic clear coat. just light coats 5minutes between coats. Again, leave for a day or 2 to harden. next step is to cut it back till it is smooth all over. 1500 and 2000 grit wet and dry with soapy water works great. or you can use cutting compound , but its slower. Finish off with a light cut and polish and you will have a nice smooth glossy finish. Hope this helps you ,cheers.
Hi everyone,

Back