Please Help! Questions on spraying Latex paint, compressors and more.

J

Joseph Valentin

Hello everybody,

This is my first attempt in asking airbrush questions so I ask how would I go about spraying latex paint? Specifically monster makers RD-407 mask making latex as well as their latex paint base and perm-wet gloss varnish. I would also like to spray latex house paint if possible. I just recently bought the Iwata LPH-80 124 G with the 1.2mm fan cap from Japan for $170 as well as Iwata HP-Th (.5mm cap) also from Japan for $151. (This is the same as the Kustom TH from the US without the aluminum case and the moisture grip filter for around $450 plus tax). Eventually I am going to get the Iwata Custom Micron CM-C2 or the Olympos Custom M-200 B. For the compressor I plan on getting the California Air tools CAT 6310 or save up more money for the Silentaire Super Silent DR 500. I have heard others using the Paasche H or the Critter 118 Siphon gun to spray latex but I wanted to go all out and buy the top of the line airbrushes/spray guns since I own a prop/costume business and want to provide top of the notch quality with high atomization finish. The reason I need latex is because latex is very flexible and is beneficial to prime and paint my EVA foam Dragon Ball Z battle armor. Because it is body armor it needs as much flexibility as possible in order to last longer. Also please don tell me to use plasti-dip. I have had enough with spray cans!

Thanks

Only thing on spray the latex is it will need some reduction even in the 1.2 spray gun. I am not sure how that will effect the over all finish you are looking for.
Krylon makes some great special effects makeup and body paints that are designed for what you are wanting as an end goal.
Now run along to the introduction section and make a proper introduction :D which you can find here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/
Also I moved this from the step by step section to the newbie question area.

Hi, Joseph.
Don't know much about liquid latex [ as far as viscosity goes] but I suspect it would behave in a similar fashion to thick acrylic.
You will need to consider a few things like WHERE you are going to spray it, WHAT the effects on the EVA will be [ and yourself, of course!] and will it give you the end result you require?
I think you need to find out how to thin out the stuff first [refer to the makers instructions on the container ....and will the thinners effect your EVA?], what sort of air pressure you need to give you the best spray pattern, and how to clean it out of your gun after your done.
Once you have this information, the job should [ I repeat SHOULDlol] be right.
Latex will be ideal for the job, being as it's already flexible enought to 'follow' the armour anyway,once it dries and sticks like mud on a 4x4, it's just finding out the technical stuff.
Sorry I'm not familiar with this stuff, other than masking fluid, but I hope this helps out.
Splasha.

Latex house paint can be thinned enough to go through a 1.2 even smaller (ive done it) but i wouldnt spray it in that olymposbyour looking at.. i have thinned craft acrylics to suitably spray through a .35 with good results. Minster maker latex not likely.

Latex house paint can be thinned enough to go through a 1.2 even smaller (ive done it) but i wouldnt spray it in that olymposbyour looking at.. i have thinned craft acrylics to suitably spray through a .35 with good results. Minster maker latex not likely.
what was your ratio of latex house paint to reducer and what reducer did you use?

what was your ratio of latex house paint to reducer and what reducer did you use?
That wont help much since every paint is different. I spray pva primer on panels before I gesso them... I use a flowing agent such as floetrol and water. The ratio is between 20 and 30 percent normally and even then I have to run the pressure pretty high.

My suggestion would be to contact the manufacturer of the latex, find out what it's made of and how to successfully reduce it.
Sorry, but it's about all I can think of.

Back