Please help - Sil Air leaks.

K

Kingpin79

A few days ago I commented about how I got Sil-Air 100/24 for $200, but in life nothing is without reason, so neither this cheap price. Everything was fine until today when I noticed that the check valve is leaking air (picture 01) - probably was leak before but I didn't notice. I took off thread in which I suspected and wrapped it with Teflon tape (picture 02). After I returned that thread, I turned on the compressor. The check valve is still leaking as before, but there's a new problem. Before, after reaching the pressure of 120 PSI, compressor was turn off by itself with the release of excess air which is normal. Now, after tank reached 120 PSI, pressure switch was turn off the compressor and exhaust valve drop all air out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You probably already know that the exhaust valve is connected directly to the check valve, so I doubt that is the problem in check valve. Or not ...

Please help!!!

1ifw5f.jpg

2ezkcwi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume that hard plastic black line it the problem. It has a crush crimp connection and they are prone to leak from there if they get bounced around too much.
Also soapy water sprayed around the area will help pin point the leak faster then try to feel it of hear where it is coming from.

I would say that the component pointed out in the video has developed a fault and become too sensitive.

Do you actually 120 oi? , it should possible to to set the cut off to say 100 and see what happens.

Also you say this happened after you applied ptfe tape to the other part, try removing the tape to see what happens, either way it seems to indicate that the cut off pressure is set too high, since that part would probably only leak due to too high a pressure, because you've effectively blocked the airs escape at that point the cutoff or check valve does its thing.

From the video it sounds to me like the check valve is the cause, when the motor shuts off it opens the unloader valve, which removes the pressure in the line that connects the motor to the tank, the check valve is between the motor and the tank, if it is not doing it's job air will flow back towards the motor, and since the unloader valve is open (as it is designed to be) the air will escape from it, when the pressure drops enough the pressure switch closes the unloader valve and turns on the motor. Even when the power is turned off the pressure switch will close the unloader valve when pressure drops below the start value, then air should stop escaping from the unloader valve, but since the motor has no power it will continue to lose pressure more slowly.

Hope it helps :)

Just saw Madbrush's post, and so realized I had not read completely through your post and had jumped to the video. And so I would say that the ptf tape is preventing the check valve flapper from closing properly, letting the air back out of the tank.

As before, the compressor without problems reach 120PSI and then when hi need to shut down, drop all air out. At lower pressure there is no air leaks on exhaust valve. I tried to remove teflon tape but the problem remains. I suspected on the rubber stopper in the check valve, because as you see in the picture, he fall down before I close the hole.

fwppgn.jpg

From the video it sounds to me like the check valve is the cause, when the motor shuts off it opens the unloader valve, which removes the pressure in the line that connects the motor to the tank, the check valve is between the motor and the tank, if it is not doing it's job air will flow back towards the motor, and since the unloader valve is open (as it is designed to be) the air will escape from it, when the pressure drops enough the pressure switch closes the unloader valve and turns on the motor. Even when the power is turned off the pressure switch will close the unloader valve when pressure drops below the start value, then air should stop escaping from the unloader valve, but since the motor has no power it will continue to lose pressure more slowly.

Hope it helps :)

Ok, but the video shows that air leaks on the exhaust valve which is mounted on the pressure switch. The check valve is fitted to the tank and it almost not heard of leaks.

btw exhaust valve released all air from the tank, not partially but completely while the pointer shows 0 psi

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, but the video shows that air leaks on the exhaust valve which is mounted on the pressure switch. The check valve is fitted to the tank and it almost not heard of leaks.

btw exhaust valve released all air from the tank, not partially but completely while the pointer shows 0 psi
I can only guess that what you call the exhaust valve is the unloader valve and it is mounted on the pressure switch, mine is mechanical pressure switch so the pressure in the tank will have an effect even when there is no power. No matter, the exhaust valve is not leaking, it is doing what it is suppose to, that is relieving the pressure in the line so next time the motor start it wont have pressure on it which would require a lot more power to start and would extremely shorten the life of the motor. So when the unloader valve is open any air in that line will escape, the only way air can be in that line is if it is coming from the motor or the tank, but once the air is in the tank the check valve should stop it from coming out and you could disconnect the the line coming from the motor and no air should escape anywhere.

Check carefully your check valve make sure there is no foreign material in it and no damage to its parts, close her up and try again. :)

Back