please help with murals!

S

shaban

hello everyone! can someone please tell me if NC (nitrocellulose) base paints are ok for walls?? im planning to do a mural but i dont know which medium is the best for it!

Im sorry mate i don´t know for sure if the nitrocellulose paints are good for walls. But since the graffiti´s are also made with spray can paint that is solvent based i guess that it works.
If your mural is inside of a house or building i think you can use all kind of waterbased airbrush paint´s too like Wicked from Createx.

hello everyone! can someone please tell me if NC (nitrocellulose) base paints are ok for walls?? im planning to do a mural but i dont know which medium is the best for it!

I have recently bought auto air in preparation for my nephews mural, Simon Murray shows in his video murals he has done internally.

if your spraying staight out of a can Molotow is great for wall murals.....if it's inside just make sure there is good ventilation and wear a respirator, it's a good practice to wear one no matter what paint you use or no mater where you are.....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
if your spraying staight out of a can Molotow is great for wall murals.....if it's inside just make sure there is good ventilation and wear a respirator, it's a good pratice to wear one no matter what paint you use.....:)

That is a great point, not just when spraying it can take a while to clear.

[h=2] this info may help you decide for yourself....

Properties[/h]
  • Nitrocellulose, as well as paints and lacquers based on this compound, are stable under normal temperatures and pressures. However, this compound is extremely heat and shock-sensitive, and will break down into toxic gases such as nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide. It also reacts with oxidizing agents as well as acids and bases. Nitrocellulose paint has a nice appearance and is easy to use. However, it has a tendency to crack, deteriorates relatively quickly, is not very stable (especially in environments with varying conditions) and has a typical durability of about two years.

[h=2]Industrial Uses[/h]
  • Nitrocellulose paint is largely used as a relatively uncommon type of varnish and is most commonly used in applications where it is required to give a timber finish, such as in the case of musical instruments (like guitars and saxophones). It is also used as car paint in the automobile industry, or for painting of some aircraft components. Further, nitrocellulose lacquer is used in the manufacturing of specific type of phonograph records (called acetate discs), by coating the lacquer onto aluminum or glass disc and then a cutting a groove, which may then be used as masters or in dance clubs.

[h=2]Safety Measures in Handling Nitrocellulose Based Materials[/h]
  • As nitrocellulose is unstable and explosive, there is a likelihood of fire in paints and ink manufacturing industrial outfits that use it, if proper safety precautions are not taken. Since dry nitrocellulose is sensitive to heat and impact, materials having this compound should not be allowed to dry out.

[h=2]Storage[/h]
  • Excess nitrocellulose based materials should never be stored in the inventory and it should also be ensured that the stock with earliest date is first consumed. Storage should always be in an upright position, in a stable and shock resistant environment that is properly ventilated, and away from all possible sources of heat, ignition and static electricity. Care should be taken to only use grounded non-ferrous (and non-plastic) tools for handling nitrocellulose based materials.

[h=2]Health Hazards[/h]
  • Nitrocellulose or the resulting constituent gases can not only be an irritant to the respiratory system, skin and eyes, but are also fatal and suffocating if inhaled in large amounts. Long-term exposures can potentially cause serious chronic disorders of the kidney, liver, central nervous system and the eye.

this info may help you decide for yourself....

Properties

• Nitrocellulose, as well as paints and lacquers based on this compound, are stable under normal temperatures and pressures. However, this compound is extremely heat and shock-sensitive, and will break down into toxic gases such as nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide. It also reacts with oxidizing agents as well as acids and bases. Nitrocellulose paint has a nice appearance and is easy to use. However, it has a tendency to crack, deteriorates relatively quickly, is not very stable (especially in environments with varying conditions) and has a typical durability of about two years.
Industrial Uses

• Nitrocellulose paint is largely used as a relatively uncommon type of varnish and is most commonly used in applications where it is required to give a timber finish, such as in the case of musical instruments (like guitars and saxophones). It is also used as car paint in the automobile industry, or for painting of some aircraft components. Further, nitrocellulose lacquer is used in the manufacturing of specific type of phonograph records (called acetate discs), by coating the lacquer onto aluminum or glass disc and then a cutting a groove, which may then be used as masters or in dance clubs.

Safety Measures in Handling Nitrocellulose Based Materials

• As nitrocellulose is unstable and explosive, there is a likelihood of fire in paints and ink manufacturing industrial outfits that use it, if proper safety precautions are not taken. Since dry nitrocellulose is sensitive to heat and impact, materials having this compound should not be allowed to dry out.
Storage

• Excess nitrocellulose based materials should never be stored in the inventory and it should also be ensured that the stock with earliest date is first consumed. Storage should always be in an upright position, in a stable and shock resistant environment that is properly ventilated, and away from all possible sources of heat, ignition and static electricity. Care should be taken to only use grounded non-ferrous (and non-plastic) tools for handling nitrocellulose based materials.
Health Hazards

• Nitrocellulose or the resulting constituent gases can not only be an irritant to the respiratory system, skin and eyes, but are also fatal and suffocating if inhaled in large amounts. Long-term exposures can potentially cause serious chronic disorders of the kidney, liver, central nervous system and the eye.

To sum it it, that S**ts crazy nuts lol. Unstable and explosive..... Stick to auto air lol

thank you so much guys!! :) im seriously starting to love this forum!! spread the love!! :D ({})

thank you so much! and yes i just got my filter mask for painting! :) and i googled and searched a bit. spoke to local painters here. the above info is true and same for almost all solvent based paints so safety precaution is highly suggested! and for interior murals water base should just do fine! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
but what about clear coating the walls ? what to use to clear coat it if we use waterbase paints?

Back