Pledge w/ Future as a thining agent....

O

Opabennett

I see a lot of modelers using Pledge with Future to reduce their paints. Would like to know what peoples thoughts on this are. As an artist I can see it might be useful "in theory" for canvas work, maybe even other hard surfaces. But for fabric I would say no, as I think this would not stretch/move with the fabric once dry. I am just starting into airbrushing. I have done work in pastels, and acrylic brush. Now I am looking to expand, I plan on doing scale models and want to get more into portraits. But before I put a drop in the well I want more info. I watched the 1 hour+ Badger video and have been watching vids from modeling to T's on youtube. And at this point I think I'm at or exceeded information overload.
The benefit I see would be mostly with opaques, giving them a matte/semi-gloss appearance verses the flat you normally get. I don't know about trans, floures, or pearls though. Has anybody used this? Thoughts?

P.S. Please don't scream NO, my eyes are sensitive. 8 )

Hey Opabennet, welcome to the forum. No screamers here, we're all way to genteel and refined LOL. (Maybe the odd nut job, thread jacker or random thought poster though)I've heard of people using that mixture, but haven't tried it myself I'm afraid. I just stick to good old water if I'm practising or messing about, and if I'm doing something properly, then I use the specific brand reducer. I would say I wouldn't use it on fabric though, it would have to be heat set, and not sure how it would react. It might give a sheen to opaques I guess.

Anyway that was absolutely no help whatsoever, but at least your eyes haven't been violated Lol!

First off welcome home,

The main problem with using that combo if both products will break down over time and make cause cracking on plastic.
being those are water base product I can only assume that you are using water based paints.
75% water 25% denatured alcohol and you have a perfect home made reducer.

But yes back in the day both of them were used but paint back than was not as refined as it is now. We have one member who is in the Navy out on a float right now who use Future liquid floor wax as a clear coat. It does work on canvas well . But mainly if it works for you and you are happy with the outcome than go for it.

To Squishy: I asked for your thoughts, you gave them, hence you helped. Thank you.
To Mr. Micron: Figures a Navy man would use it, that was one of the key items we used when I served to wax our floors in the barracks. Best of the best for a shine! Thank you for the home made reducer recipe, will definately give that a go. I might use the future on a scale model and see what the results are. Maybe even go so far as a practice piece like some tattoo flash I might color. Thank you.

To Squishy: I asked for your thoughts, you gave them, hence you helped. Thank you.
To Mr. Micron: Figures a Navy man would use it, that was one of the key items we used when I served to wax our floors in the barracks. Best of the best for a shine! Thank you for the home made reducer recipe, will definately give that a go. I might use the future on a scale model and see what the results are. Maybe even go so far as a practice piece like some tattoo flash I might color. Thank you.

See ya thought we was going to jump all over ya....

I served in the Army SF we used Johnson pasted wax , Light it on fire pour it on the floor and buff it out , Tough as nail when finished and lasted a long time...LOL

Herb, is denatured alcohol the same as isopropyl alcohol please?

Herb, is denatured alcohol the same as isopropyl alcohol please?

nope
Denatured alcohol or methylated spirits is ethanol that has additives to make it undrinkable (poisonous, extremely bad tasting, foul smelling or nauseating

Isopropyl alcohol is a common name for a chemical compound with the molecular formula C 3 H 8 O. It is a colorless, flammable chemical compound

Cheers Herb, methylated spirits is something I can buy in the UK

You also have to remember as well that each different type of reducer, whether it's home brew or the pledge stuff or water or the proprietary reducer, it's going to spray differently with each one.

HAHAHA have just posted a question about Bio Ethanol,as to weather it's one and the same thing as Denatured Alcohol and even after reading that from you Herb I'm still not sure lol

It would be great if you could of looked at my post but I'm not sure if I done something wrong with it as it says solved at the start....It ain't and I'm still ruddy lost as to weather or not Iv'e got a bargain or another Turkey hahahaha *holds head in hands and cries* oh i seen to make it worse asking questions hahaha ;)

Back