plotters are the bomb!

J

jdub

I went to graphic design school and found out fast no one was going to pay me to draw and airbrush all day! LOL In the graphic design world its all about production!! I got a job years ago in a vinyl sigh shop and was introduced to large format digital print and cut vinyl!!! and I quickly incorporated it into my airbrushing at home.. I bought a plotter and hijacked a version of flexisign and along with adobe PS and Illustrator I can create some sick stuff!! I highly recommend it... hand cutting frisket or low tack tape sucks when a machine can do it or you in seconds and its precise!!

Now a silhouette cameo and Gimp give you the same power and only cost about $270.00 (Gimp is free).

thanks for the info jdub, can you show some of the crazy stuff you did? and which plotter are you using?

i have played with gimp... not familiar with the other one called cameo... are they vector based? or raster? vector is the way to go! some raster programs give you weird jagged results in the RIP when converting (anti-aliasing and all) ... and i just bought a cheap china plotter 48" off ebay for 500 bucks! some of the paintings in my albums (like the maltese cross and apache warbirds were done with a plotter mask) took no time at all... and came out awesome!

i have played with gimp... not familiar with the other one called cameo... are they vector based? or raster? vector is the way to go! some raster programs give you weird jagged results in the RIP when converting (anti-aliasing and all) ... and i just bought a cheap china plotter 48" off ebay for 500 bucks! some of the paintings in my albums (like the maltese cross and apache warbirds were done with a plotter mask) took no time at all... and came out awesome!
Cameo is the plotter and works with both vector and raster. Gimp is raster as far as I know but inkscape is free and is vector based.

Everyone will be going down the record shops now for cool looking album sleeves to scan :)

mr dig bick has played with a gimp also

I was checking up for plotters also. Can anybody give some advices like which is good enough and not that expensive for the beginning? Thank you!

Back