Poke at the eye tutorial

W

Woppydop

Hello everyone

this is my first try at painting the eye. I really should have used a better printer for my reference print as looking back on my computer I see a lot more detail that I've missed. Might take the iPad into the garage next time (if my daughter lets me that is.)

all constructive comments very much appreciated. image.jpg

Looks a lot better than my first attempt.

The advice I got when starting was to keep practicing the basic strokes and control. Do a few more eyes as well, and you will be surprised how much you improve in a short time.
Practice those dagger strokes and reduce your paint a bit more so you can build up the layers.

Second attempt

Well I had some time this morning to organise myself. Staying away from the coffee also helped with the shakes. I work nights so coffee is my staple diet.

image.jpg
Would love to hear what you guys and girls think, I've never been an arty kind of person (besides photography) so all this is very new to me and is turning out to be quite a steep learning curve.

Pretty good attempt. I would advise going in lighter and building the layers more slowly to avoid going too dark to soon, and losing the subtlty. (May be reduce your paint more?) and again the micro shapes for texture, a abit more sublte and it's there. Good job.

I actually really like that second piece.

All that texture gives it a slightly creepy feel, but I think it's very cool. Maybe just a bit of work on the lashes, but I would be pleased with that one :)

Squishy summed it up there mate, take your time, we all started off the same with this eye, your blends and fades are pretty good and the eye lashes are a tricky one to master....the dreaded dagger stroke!!! Keep it up my friend you are definitely going in the right direction.

Well I had some time this morning to organise myself. Staying away from the coffee also helped with the shakes. I work nights so coffee is my staple diet.

View attachment 10010
Would love to hear what you guys and girls think, I've never been an arty kind of person (besides photography) so all this is very new to me and is turning out to be quite a steep learning curve.
steep for sure but not vertical!!! you have done a great job on this so far...... im at work now but will have a proper look later

Thanks for all the helpful and encouraging comments, will keep me motivated. Have finally managed to get some decent paper so can now stop practising on cheap A4 printer paper, I'm hoping it will help.

another constructive comment....tell your daughter,"I AM using your ipad in the garage"or im doubling your house keep.....in sure she will be compliant hehe

Hahaha, when I tell people it's my iPad they look at me funny because of all the Barbie games on it.

Back