Poor mans micron hpc+

R

rick

Hi felas,

i know about the poor mans micron setup, and since i mostly work on a4 size, i prefer my .2 setup.
But what parts do i need for the setup, for my hpc+, i believe it was original nozzle, . 21 cm-c needle, and an other trigger.

anyone?

Hi felas,

i know about the poor mans micron setup, and since i mostly work on a4 size, i prefer my .2 setup.
But what parts do i need for the setup, for my hpc+, i believe it was original nozzle, . 21 cm-c needle, and an other trigger.

anyone?

The HP-C+ comes stock with a .30 needle nozzle .... You will have to order the needle /nozzle for a HP-A+ which comes stock with a .20 set up ,than you put the .20 set up in your HP-C+ and you have a poor man's micron...

That is it. I am not sure where you came up with yours came stock with a .21 cm-c due to micron parts do not interchange with any other IWATA..That is according to the guys at Iwata ...Different head set up and air chamber on the Micron's vs anyother Iwataout there...

The HP-C+ comes stock with a .30 needle nozzle .... You will have to order the needle /nozzle for a HP-A+ which comes stock with a .20 set up ,than you put the .20 set up in your HP-C+ and you have a poor man's micron...

That is it. I am not sure where you came up with yours came stock with a .21 cm-c due to micron parts do not interchange with any other IWATA..That is according to the guys at Iwata ...Different head set up and air chamber on the Micron's vs anyother Iwataout there...

Hey Herb, one question. Don´t you also need to use the air cap from the HP-A+ since the cap for a 0.2mm nozzle is abit smaller then the stock one for the 0.30mm setup from the HP-B+ ? . I would guess that
it would not have a perfect spray pattern with the 0.2 nozzle and the 0.3 aircap.

Hey Herb, one question. Don´t you also need to use the air cap from the HP-A+ since the cap for a 0.2mm nozzle is abit smaller then the stock one for the 0.30mm setup from the HP-B+ ? . I would guess that
it would not have a perfect spray pattern with the 0.2 nozzle and the 0.3 aircap.

Yes and no , I know a few who use the .3 cap because they say they get a softer pattern on the spray but if you are going for the detail part of the smaller set up I say yes replace the air cap too.

Not a prob of the cap, i never use them, i never liked em, so i always screw em off, never broke a needle so no prob.

thx guys im ordering tomorow.

Yes and no , I know a few who use the .3 cap because they say they get a softer pattern on the spray but if you are going for the detail part of the smaller set up I say yes replace the air cap too.

Ok yeah got what you are saying, was just wondering about it :)

Not a prob of the cap, i never use them, i never liked em, so i always screw em off, never broke a needle so no prob.

thx guys im ordering tomorow.

Hey Rick we didnt mean the needle cap, we were talking the nozzle cap that comes right on the nozzle to direct the airflow :) , on top of that cap the needle cap would be attached then.

Hi Rick, don't forget to change the needle packing screw aswell.

Needle packing only needs to be changed if it is still using the rubber one, According to Craig Fraser you do not have to change them , But you can call Iwata and ask them ,

Last edited:
Hey fellas!
I've done this with my airbrush - hadn't heard it coined 'the poor man's micron' haha!
I thought it was a great way to get 0.2mm performance out of my little machine - so i purchased all the parts and being iwata it cost just short of $US100.
Anyway i interchanged everything - needle, tip and head assembly and just as justme added - the needle packing screw will need adjustment. You need a small flat-head screw driver to give it half a turn (or until the needle feels firm when running through).
So what about performance?
I got my Krome at the same time i interchanged the 0.2mm setup. i think kromes are a 0.21mm??
I can't notice a difference between the two and actually find i use the krome more because the trigger is easier on my finger.
This poor man's micron cost approx $US300 to set up properly - Krome is $US115.
Iwata have a good name and a very strong product, but i think the krome is a great new contender for fine detail free-hand art.

jup its pretty exspensive, i already have a evolution .15, so money wise its a hard question for me, but my badger patriot does the iwata's work so ill just have to make some more muneh.
krome costs 200$ in holland, its fking unfair, if it would be affordable it would do waaaay better in europe.

There is a big difference in price across Europe.
In Sweden a eclipse cost about 240 usd and italy about the 150.
I live in Sweden and buy in italy shipping charge of 23 usd it still much cheaper then sweden.

I recently did the .2 set up on my hp-ch and did the whole head assembly incuding the air cap. I love it set up like that but I only did mine because I dropped it and damaged all those parts any ways. I feel the .3 set up was very nice also and the amount of detail achieved with this conversion is minimal. The badger is a best bang for the buck airbrush in my opinion.

The original Poor Man's Micron modification is to use a .2 nozzle from the HP-B and the taller trigger from the HP-BC. That's it, job done. You don't change the needle because you don't want the needle to protrude very much from the nozzle. The more the needle protrudes, the more tip dry. The HP-BC trigger is taller and a single piece trigger that feels smoother and provides more control, which is important since you loose some needle travel with the tip exchange.

YES, i meant that one, will it work on the hpc+? but i meant that one, the BC trigger wass to cope with the added lag because off the new set up right?

Back