Practice of control and detail

Diegojavbau

Air-Valve Autobot!
Just want to share a picture of one of the several eyes that i'm painting to practice small details , still need a lot of practice , specially on eye lashes

625577_326877287414724_716383927_n.jpg

Coin diameter 25mm (almost 1 inch)

Looks great for that size. Try reducing a little bit more and lowering your PSI.
For little tiny daggers like that, it takes a lot of practice. I am still by no means a pro at them, but here is how i practice.

I paint an entire row of horizontal lines about .25" (6mm) or so apart.
After all of the lines are on the paper, probably about 20 lines or so.
I practice moving my AB up and down vertically and try to start my daggers at one line and have the sharp tip stop at the one above or below it(depending on direction of travel. By the end of that one drill, you will have done hundreds of dagger strokes.

The above drill is for daggers only, but eyelashes are circular(generally). I practice them by starting off with the same lines, but I keep my AB rotating clockwise or counter clockwise in 6mm circles and turn the paint on and off during the circular(or elliptical) motion to create the lashes. If you don't understand maybe I can do an example of how I practice tomorrow night.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the comments !!!

@Jagardn : great tips for practice , I will try it !!! I understand perfect , anyway an example can be very useful for all the members of the forum and to use as reference

Things like eyelashes and whiskers etc, always make me nervous. I can do them really well......in practice Lol!!! As soon as I do it for real, I'm too scared to even breathe LOL!

being trying something like that for a while this is something i´ve been looking to achieve thanks diego and jagardn.but one question the movement is realized with the wrist or the shoulder,because i saw the video of micro airbrushing and the guy talked about using the wrist?

being trying something like that for a while this is something i´ve been looking to achieve thanks diego and jagardn.but one question the movement is realized with the wrist or the shoulder,because i saw the video of micro airbrushing and the guy talked about using the wrist?

The only time I don't use shoulders is when doing textures. I personally have more consistency and control by holding the brush with two hands for lines, dots, faded and daggers while moving at the shoulders. To me, using the wrist changes distance and angle of the brush which majorly effects end result.
There are probably plenty of people who can do it, just not my preference.

The correct way is as jagardn say , in this case of small details I work resting my hand in the canvas , like with a pencil and both hands , is not the ideal but I have no skills to paint this on the air

what i do is that my left hand,i am right handed,is that i get very close to the support or the surface am working and my left little finger or my nuckles touch or a reference for distance so no accidents happen,my right hand holding the gun never touches the working surface.is this the right way?

what i do is that my left hand,i am right handed,is that i get very close to the support or the surface am working and my left little finger or my nuckles touch or a reference for distance so no accidents happen,my right hand holding the gun never touches the working surface.is this the right way?

Yes, the way you are describing it is the way I support my airbrush for fine detail.

Back