Practicing hair

Just getting back into the hobby. Here is my practice panel for hair. Bristol paper isnt the greatest for the scratch technique. Crits welcome.

No criticism here, you made a good start, but in the future why not hit your Bristol paper/board with a coat of water based varnish to seal it before you start, give it plenty of time to dry out and you'll probably find it more forgiving, also (and I'm just guessing here) if your using a pointed blade, try switch to a curved blade and use different parts of the curve for slightly different effects.

If you have done those fly away hairs with your airbrush, and I am assuming you have, they are pretty damned impressive, with that kind of skill you deserve to have everything else work in your favour, so try a little test piece with the varnish and let us know how you get on.

Just out of interest, what airbrush and paints are you using?

Thanks for the comments!

You are correct in assuming I was using a pointed blade, I will try and find the rounded blades asap. The varnish idea is intriguing. I have always wanted to try Claybord but haven't wanted to spend the money on them yet.

Yes those fly aways were done straight from the airbrush. I am still getting back in the groove of everything. Thank you again for the comments.

I am using a Hp c plus with wicked detail paints. First time using them.

Thanks for the comments!

You are correct in assuming I was using a pointed blade, I will try and find the rounded blades asap. The varnish idea is intriguing. I have always wanted to try Claybord but haven't wanted to spend the money on them yet.

Yes those fly aways were done straight from the airbrush. I am still getting back in the groove of everything. Thank you again for the comments.

I am using a Hp c plus with wicked detail paints. First time using them.

Well there is no doubt you have good control of your brush when I look at those fly away hairs:thumbsup:

The pointed blade is a little too aggressive for paper, that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it though, it is especially handy for doing thin fly away hairs which have been caught by the sun or other light source and very very fine facial hairs or hairs on arms sometimes referred to as "down" but you have to be very light with, I usually do that with the blade of it's handle held between my fingers, a rounded blade is less aggressive and will give you a lot more control.

Throwing on a coat of varnish will give your paper similar properties to clay board, you may find that when you varnish your paper it will warp some but you can iron it flat again when it's dry, that's assuming it's paper and not board, boards would be fine but if you want the rigidity of board you can stick your paper to cheap cardboard by means of spray adhesive or even thinned down wood glue (PVA), I've resorted to doing this for my Paint Pals cos I;m a cheap skate but I believe my little cuddly leprechaun friend @matty171 does this too;)

Well there is no doubt you have good control of your brush when I look at those fly away hairs:thumbsup:

The pointed blade is a little too aggressive for paper, that doesn't mean you shouldn't use it though, it is especially handy for doing thin fly away hairs which have been caught by the sun or other light source and very very fine facial hairs or hairs on arms sometimes referred to as "down" but you have to be very light with, I usually do that with the blade of it's handle held between my fingers, a rounded blade is less aggressive and will give you a lot more control.

Throwing on a coat of varnish will give your paper similar properties to clay board, you may find that when you varnish your paper it will warp some but you can iron it flat again when it's dry, that's assuming it's paper and not board, boards would be fine but if you want the rigidity of board you can stick your paper to cheap cardboard by means of spray adhesive or even thinned down wood glue (PVA), I've resorted to doing this for my Paint Pals cos I;m a cheap skate but I believe my little cuddly leprechaun friend @matty171 does this too;)

lol cuddly, yes i stick my 4g paper to card or mount board for that extra rigidness (thats what she said) and i also use a spray varnish to coat the paper/board before i start

Excellent work... I've used liquitex varnish and it's OK, I'm going to try the curved blades... Actually, a handle for the curved blades I have...

Back