prepping a helmet

S

Sgt Nellie

I would like to get creative and paint a helmet. A friend of mine has given me his Modular helmet to have free reign to paint. It's gloss black with no decals. Where do I start for prepping? I've heard some say use a scotch brite pad, but I'm not sure which one. Or sandpaper. I would like to get it right the first time. I was thinking of making the helmet a large, evil skull. Should I stick to transparent colors? I'm using createx auto-air paint. Any tips would certainly be helpful, since I've never painted on anything but paper and canvas.
Thanks
Sgt Nellie

Hey sarge! Red scotch brite after wax and grease remover. Mask, wax and grease remover again. Coat of auto air sealer and go for gold!

I'm still really new to airbrush painting. I haven't heard of auto air sealer. What exactly is it?

Before you start you should strip the helmet including the face visor seal (asuming it has one).
When you have the helmet striped give it a GOOD clean then use a de-greaser before a good keying with red scotchbrite.
The AA sealer, either wight or dark (which isnk a true back) is to give at AA paint a good mecahical bond and to give a uniform color.
There are lots of things on U-Tube regarding this. I don't thing we can put web addys on here but have a look for Simon Murry who is the major imported for AA in the UK and a brilliant artist in his own right.

Before you start you should strip the helmet including the face visor seal (asuming it has one).
When you have the helmet striped give it a GOOD clean then use a de-greaser before a good keying with red scotchbrite.
The AA sealer, either wight or dark (which isnk a true back) is to give at AA paint a good mecahical bond and to give a uniform color.
There are lots of things on U-Tube regarding this. I don't thing we can put web addys on here but have a look for Simon Murry who is the major imported for AA in the UK and a brilliant artist in his own right.
You can put links mate :) If it's going to help someone learn something then go for it :)

Back