Pressure issues???

larz313

Gravity Guru
Hi everyone. I have a quick question for ya. When I'm trying to do some detail work I over reduce my paint and drop my air pressure to around 20 psi. I'm using Createx illustration paint and reducer with a Badger Velocity Jet .2 needle ab. There's no play in the trigger but I find most of the time I have to pull back more than I want to, to get a fine line/spray. So with that I lose the control I thought I had. So what's going on here? Is my pressure too low or paint too thick? Or what??? Thanks in advance for your help.

It's generally tip dry. I clean my needle with a small natural sponge dipped in a mixture of 50/50 Denatured Alcohol and Water. If that doesn't work, loosen your needle chuck and spin your needle, then re tighten the chuck. Follow it with a quick blast of paint. Spinning the needle generally loosens the blockage and the quick blast of paint gets it out.

I would assume that you are correctly pulling back just enough until paint actually starts to flow, then keep your in that same place to get the fine lines, from experience of doing the same myself and the fact that over reduced paint has a tendency to separate in the cup causing particle build up in the nozzle or around the needle.

To solve this just give your brush a good clean and when you work in same way afterwards, look frequently at the paint in cup and keep it well mixed, and after every couple of lines give a good blast at full trigger away from your work, this will avoid issue or at least lessen the chance of it.

There are few tricks that work well for the velocity one thing I notice the air cap gets paint build up more than my other ABs I also like to polish my needles rubbing compound works well with a drill or dremel to spin the needle.

Firstly, what do you consider "over reduced"? I consider it to be 1:10 (paint:reducer) and more and then I work below 10psi. What reducer are you using?

Firstly, what do you consider "over reduced"? I consider it to be 1:10 (paint:reducer) and more and then I work below 10psi. What reducer are you using?
After reading this, I'm starting to think it's not reduced enough. I was previously told a 50/50 mix was good for that paint. Maybe I should reduce more. And it's Createx illustration paint and illustration reducer.

After reading this, I'm starting to think it's not reduced enough. I was previously told a 50/50 mix was good for that paint. Maybe I should reduce more. And it's Createx illustration paint and illustration reducer.

Definitely. I've read that people use it unredused straight out of the bottle at low pressure and with small nozzles but have never tried.

You can literally reduce as much as you want, the main reason for it certainly in my case is to be able to build up values at our own pace allowing for more control.

Definitely. I've read that people use it unredused straight out of the bottle at low pressure and with small nozzles but have never tried.
I tried it out of the bottle. Wasn't happy at all with its performance, based on how I work. But that's just my amateur opinion.

I tried it out of the bottle. Wasn't happy at all with its performance, based on how I work. But that's just my amateur opinion.
It's not your opinion, it's pretty much consensus. Out of the bottle, I can't get it to spay any kind of detail, even out of a .5 nozzle. Even with my Patriot, I generally reduce 1:1 for painting backgrounds.

Back