Primers! water based or urethane?

Keifer smeaton

Double Actioner
hey could anyone tell me what type of primer I should use before spraying Createx on a motorcycle tank. i was planning on getting the 4030 balancing clear as an additive to the illustration or wicked for the artwork maybe after putting down a base coat over the primer.. should i use water based primer or urethane? I did see somewhere that i should use a urethane primer and clear coat for durability and it wont affect the waterbased paint, if so could someone recommend a brand? Im really just taking a chance here I dont know much I would like to learn this stuff but feel I need to just get a tank and go for it with what i have. also is it worth trying the autoborne can this be used as a primer or is it just a base coat ?thanks

One more thing. Can I use either Wicked or illustration over this for the artwork itself and then clear coat? As in can the waterborne be the basecoat by it’s self and artwork directly over as I see they have a range of different colors

Yup I know for a fact you can use wicked over it causes I've done it, I read on here that you can also use the illustration as well I just haven't tried any as of yet..just be sure to clear it after

Yup I know for a fact you can use wicked over it causes I've done it, I read on here that you can also use the illustration as well I just haven't tried any as of yet..just be sure to clear it after
Sounds good. I’ll give it a go n make do with what I have at the moment cheers

That's true @Jonathon , did the artwork on a tank with illustration and applied candy2o. And then clear-coated it. No problem at all. The tank was allready black though, so just scuffed it and washed it.

This is from SM Designs, they are the main European distributor for Createx and also do a lot of r and d for them. The video shows what products for all kinds of different surfaces.

If you are at bare metal then no. Autoborne is not a DTM primer, actually it would guarantee you have rust under your paint.

https://creatextech.com/pdf/app-guides/Createx-Colors_Hard-Surface-Application-Guide.pdf
Beat me to it.... What @Robbyrockett2 said above. It's always a safer bet to use a urethane based primer under your water-based paint (when painting anything steel) in the event you sand through a small area and don't realize it while prepping the primer for base.

Back