Printer or Cricut?

So I ended up pulling the trigger on a Circuit Explore Air 2 from Wally Mart. Couldn't resist the price at $165.

Attachments

• IMG_8083.jpg
    IMG_8083.jpg
    378.9 KB · Views: 6
I have a US cutter SC plotter so I purchased some 7.5 mil mylar but even at the highest pressure settings and blade stick-out it just wasn't enough to cut through it.
you need to pick multiple passes. - translation = you have a setting somewhere which tells to plotter that plotter needs to make more passes then just one on the shapes which you try to cut. So first pass will not go true mylar, even second won't go, maybe even third. I forgot how many passes I used to cut mylar - it was a long time ago. I used cameo 3

But, make a little square, just so you have something to cut. 5mm will be enough. This will be your testing cut, so you don't waste a lot of mylar. Put knife pressure lower then the max you have. And pick more passes. Lets say 5 passes for testing. Check that little square after machine do those 5 passes and see what you got. If that is not enough, add more passes and more pressure if needed. After you done, clean the knife. At least my knife on cameo gets so much waste inside the knife from the mylar which I was cutting.

edit: nvm, just noticed Kingpin already told this lol

here is the file I use for testing knife settings, hope this download will work. 118KB file, so no worries server will crash. Square with few objects inside. It is very small, good for testing in my case.

Untitled-1.jpg

here is the file on my google drive:

So we don't push our luck with forum server.

I know we have a member who can't help himself to get some free stuff. 😁

edit: I know silhuette has default test thingy, this one is better :cool:

Last edited:
you need to pick multiple passes. - translation = you have a setting somewhere which tells to plotter that plotter needs to make more passes then just one on the shapes which you try to cut. So first pass will not go true mylar, even second won't go, maybe even third. I forgot how many passes I used to cut mylar - it was a long time ago. I used cameo 3

But, make a little square, just so you have something to cut. 5mm will be enough. This will be your testing cut, so you don't waste a lot of mylar. Put knife pressure lower then the max you have. And pick more passes. Lets say 5 passes for testing. Check that little square after machine do those 5 passes and see what you got. If that is not enough, add more passes and more pressure if needed. After you done, clean the knife. At least my knife on cameo gets so much waste inside the knife from the mylar which I was cutting.

edit: nvm, just noticed Kingpin already told this lol
Yea I tried that. Even on the highest pressure it wouldn't cut even with several passes, and even tried the deep cut blades, so I gave up and saved up and got the Cricut which is what The Airbrush Garage guy on Youtube uses and I just set up the machine as per his instructions in his video and it cut the 7 mil mylar perfect. The SC cutter is nice but not for mylar.

Back