problem creating depth

S

Sgt Nellie

This is my first try at biomechanical. I'm having trouble creating any depth. Probably because I'm only using semi-opaque auto-air color. I'm practicing for work I'm going to be doing on a helmet. But at this rate I'm frustrated. Any tips or suggestions would greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMAG0499.jpg
    IMAG0499.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 60
If you have transparent base, add it to the paint, at least 4:1, then reduce. This will allow you to slowly build the tones to be able to build depth.

If you have transparent base, add it to the paint, at least 4:1, then reduce. This will allow you to slowly build the tones to be able to build depth.
Is transparent base a different kind of paint other than the transparent colors I have. In other words, would the bottle be labeled transparent base. I know this sounds like a lame question, but I'm pretty green to airbrushing.

Yes the transparent base is an unpigmented paint base. The transparent paints as well as the semi opaques can be made more transparent with the transparent base. It's one of your best friends along with reducer.

Hi, Wayne.
Sorry to jack the topic on depth, but when you say ' unpigmented base ', is it that this is just a carrier medium that will provide a surface for you to paint on and allow you to work [ erase, scratch or whatever ] to create the impression of depth to your work?
Being fairly ignorant on these things, I thought I'd ask.

Can you use this base on all colors? When I looked up auto-air's colorless base, it said it was recommended for use with candies . Can it be applied to all colors?

Hi, Wayne.
Sorry to jack the topic on depth, but when you say ' unpigmented base ', is it that this is just a carrier medium that will provide a surface for you to paint on and allow you to work [ erase, scratch or whatever ] to create the impression of depth to your work?
Being fairly ignorant on these things, I thought I'd ask.
No, transparent base is basically paint with no color in it. It is the "base" of the paint, then pigment is added to create the color.

Think of trans base as a paint with No color......
If you had a half full glass of water (base) with food coloring (pigment). If you would add just water, (base) the color would be more transparent looking. But it does not make the water thinner......It is not a reducer, but the same make-up as paint.
Cheers

Ya haven't got a problem at all with depth, you've just not created it yet :)...Depth comes from three main things, contrast is one, another is your focus and probably the last one being layers, there is also color value and perspective off course but the last few not always used to achieve it..So far your just not far enough in to see any depth as theres little of the above elements, eg its all the same focus the majority anyway, there is contrast between the white and black but its hard to see depth in pure white againts pure black, but I think it really needs a middle ground or lighter grey in between the white and black paint rather than the canvas dark grey/black, that will add a moving contrast from foreground to background elements, its suggest dimension and helps add depth.

There is a few ways to proceed with the painting to help add that depth, one is to as mentioned add a light-mid grey between the white and black then blend the black back into the grey and white, adding the gradient over the top with a trans black as your final layer is generally what really helps suggest depth as it creates a focal variant to the piece and helps suggest depth through shape..

Another way would be to use a highly reduced light to mid grey and mist everything you've done (Once you finish the black outlining) to the point of hiding it about 50%..Do that from a distance to keep it smooth, this will add grey onto everything you've done but wld get rid of that canvas black and tint it rather than obscure it, then repaint the white and black areas back to what you have now, and then once again add a blending transparent black layer..

Could likely suggest a few more alternatives (IE Using more overspray when doing the white, that would mist that canvas black away into a grey, or texture focus ie foggy background focused foreground) as there is many ways to add depth, clearing is one but you need it there first in the picture, clearing and using transparent bases throughout just further enhance it, best of luck, the only thing I think I didn't say yet LOL, is nice pic, looking good.

What @RebelAir said :p

Also be aware and pick a light source. At some points (right bottom) the shadow runs all around the shape (might have to do with the outline). Pick one (or more if you hate yourself and want to make your life difficult) lightsource and base all shadows and highlights on the direction the light is comming from.

Wow, great feedback. I'll wrap my head around all that info and get back at it. Thankyou!

Also I always paint the 'deepest' parts first, then any overspray from the layers above help to push that deepest layer back, then it's just a case of watching your light source and shadows that are cast.

Back