problem with acrylic paints

V

victoria

hello i juts star learning about airbrush , i did got acrylic airbrush paintings golden , but when i spray on canvas are to liquid and fall by gravity what i could do , also i would like to use the normal acrylic colors but how i mix this for airbrush?

Hi Victoria. Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you might be trying to spray your paint on to fast. If you're using a double action airbrush, try going in light layers and bilding up the colors. As far as regular acrylic paints, I have used them before, but with different levels of success. I thin them with regular water until they are the right consistency, about the same as milk, and then pour it through a filter to trap any large pigment particles so they don't clog the airbrush. I wouldn't recommend this, unless you absolutely have to use to. Airbrush paint is designed to be sprayed through the tiny nozzles and will be a lot easier to work with in the long run.

It might help if you could post a picture or two of the problems you're having so everyone could address them a little better. But whatever you do, don't give up. It is a wonderfully fun and challenging form of art and it can be really rewarding

I think you may want to turn down your air pressure as well and not work too close to the surface. What you described sounded like spiders - uncontrolled splatters of paint. If you spray in many layers, as foreveryoung suggested, mix water with paint in a 1 : 20 ratio and turn you air pressure down to between 10 and 14 psi. Then you should be able to work with a distance between tip of the airbrush and surface of about 1 cm to accurately get the paint where you want it to land.

I used to dilute Liquitex acrylic paint from a tube with water, but that is a tricky business, since you have to approximate mix ratios every time you mix fluid paint to spray. Some (experienced) artists do it anyway, but for each project they mix the colors they need in advance of airbrushing, making sure that they have enough to complete the entire painting. This requires good planning and a lot of mixing and left-overs are usually waste.

I used golden acrylic for my AB , I mix with water and golden airbrush medium (1:2:3, paint:water:medium) , no problem with 0.15,0.2,0.4 tip size ( I used infinity ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back