Problem with airbrush, pretty sure I'm the problem :(

M

Matthewd5

Ok I have a brand new Badger 350, my first airbrush of any sort...

i don't know if I have my compressor set too low or what but no matter how much I open or close the needle setting either no paint comes out or just a modest stream comes out

it seems there ought to be more of a range than that, I've tried my compressor set from 20 psi slowly up to 40 psi and I've adjusted the needle the whole range from wide open to shut tight...

I would appreciate any help I can get!

matthew

I just started a few days ago and had the same problem. Your paint is probably too thick. I don't know what type of paint you have so I don't want to give you bad advice but I have createx paint and just mixed it 1 part paint : 3 part water and it worked. I still have to some more experiments with the paint to figure out the best ratio for me is but it shoots paint.

BTW my brush is siphon feed so if you got gravity it might be different.

I just started a few days ago and had the same problem. Your paint is probably too thick. I don't know what type of paint you have so I don't want to give you bad advice but I have createx paint and just mixed it 1 part paint : 3 part water and it worked. I still have to some more experiments with the paint to figure out the best ratio for me is but it shoots paint.

BTW my brush is siphon feed so if you got gravity it might be different.

If the paint thinning is indeed the problem the effect will generally be same if it's gravity feed or syphon, and I think thinning is the problem, however I've learned that every time I buy a new airbrush to completely strip it down and service it before the first use, a lot of airbrushes sit for a long time in the shop or in storage before they are purchased, and some lubricants after time become as wax and that will affect performance.

Mitch has a video on how to maintain your airbrush, and as I mentioned before there is a mine of information on Don Wheeler's website, both of these are well worth checking out, getting to know how your equipment works will help you get the best out of it.

The only thing I ever came across that works 100% straight out of the box is cornflakes, everything else I inspect, lol

Sounds like paint as everyone else has said, but if your brush worked initialy, and then stopped it could be that there is a blockage. You may not have cleaned it thoroughly (Iwas very guilty of thinking I'd cleaned my brush when I first started only to find more paint "hiding" in there), or if you haven't strained the paint some goop may have got stuck in the nozzle, and all that air has dried it and stuck it there. But sounds like reducing your paint is the way to go.

Wow, thanks for all the replies, my paint is from badger and supposedly was airbrush ready, it certainly doesn't seem thick also it's been like this from the very first use

matthew

Wow, thanks for all the replies, my paint is from badger and supposedly was airbrush ready, it certainly doesn't seem thick also it's been like this from the very first use

matthew
Well Spectra-tex is great paint and airbrush ready .
Ken Badger is a member might send him a pm or maybe he will catch this thread and he will help you out.

Well Spectra-tex is great paint and airbrush ready .
Ken Badger is a member might send him a pm or maybe he will catch this thread and he will help you out.

Im using their model paint, painting small buildings for an N scale model railroad

The paint should ideally be the consistancy of semi skimmed milk. But if the brush hasn't worked from the word go then do as Mr Micron said look for Ken in the user list and send him a message. He's a really helpful guy and I'm sure would be able to advise.

The paint should ideally be the consistancy of semi skimmed milk. But if the brush hasn't worked from the word go then do as Mr Micron said look for Ken in the user list and send him a message. He's a really helpful guy and I'm sure would be able to advise.

Im pretty convinced its something stupid I'm missing...

i can try taking a small amount of the badger paint and thin it out but it is pretty watery out of the bottle

matthew

Try that. Or even just spraying water to see how it sprays.

I agree just try spraying water and see what it is doing. If it sprays that fine than it is your reduction , If not than get a hold of Ken , Send him a pm if nothing else.

I'm just regurgitating Sir Microns advice, which is why he agrees with me haha :)

I had these issues just last week. Mine was due to poor reduction.

I wonder, have you checked the little hose inside the bottle to make sure its tight on the titt in the lid, If not it will not prime. also are you sure you are pushing the cup into the gun all the way? My Paasch has a little rubber O-Ring in the reciever hole and the bottle tit kind of snaps in past it for a lack of better words if you dont push past that ring the tit will not seal and it will not prime with paint.
Take the bottle off and turn the gun upside down put a drop or two of paint in the hole and push the trigger see if she sprays right then, If so your problem is in the bottle assmb.
If not then check your tip assmbly follow the directions on taking the needle apart from the tip and check the O-Rings make sure none are kinked or broken,

Last edited by a moderator:
And you did open the fluid cap right?

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/PDF/Model 350 Instruction Book.pdf

On the tip of your gun there is kind of a knob sits at an angle one side is a cone the other the paint jar goes in. open that cone counter clockwise all four turns and spray see what it does.
this knob is how you can adjust the amount of paint flow. all the way clockwise will shut it off.

Matthew, are you trying to do detail/weathering or prototypical finishing. Frankly, in a scale as fine as N scale an external mix airbrush like the 350 is not the most recommendable airbrush because the external mix airbrush is going to spray larger dots than an internal mix airbrush. Anyone finishing N or Z scale models should be using an internal mix airbrush so model details are enhanced rather than hidden. At the very least get the Fine nozzle set up for the 350.

Ideally I would've have recommended a model 200 for you if you're doing prototypical finishing in N scale. If you are wanting to do detailing and weathering you should learn to use a dual action airbrush as you are then an artist who chooses fine scale models as your canvas. With Modelflex a Patriot or a Krome (depending on how finite you want to get in your detailing) would be better choices for your application.

Modelflex being a heavier water-based media and the nozzle set up of the external mix airbrush is going to require about 30psi to spray properly. At that psi, in your fine of a scale you're going to have to paint pretty quickly and will not have much control. Additionally at that higher pressure you will tip dry more, even in fine scales, so it is advisable to use some extender in the Modelflex to slow its dry time.

The link wtsgems provided above may be helpful in explaining more. I also welcome your direct email to me at kenbadger@aol.com

also to clarify - with the 350 turning the air cap (cone), while pointing the airbrush away from you, clockwise opens the spray pattern and counter-clockwise reduces/turns off the spray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back