problem with Alclad candy red

M

Matthew

Hi all

Im new to airbrushing and this forum, so this is my first post :)

I am following this guide
to try and paint my guys. The first 3 coats of alclad black primer, alclad copper and then alclad gold went on just fine (and look pretty good!) but the final coat of Alclad candy red is just not working.

I have had 3 pots now, and every single one appears to be be lumpy, with like a gelatine type substance in it which appears to instantly block my airbrush. The instructions specifically say not to thin the paint and the other 3 colours worked just fine.

Does anyone have any experience with this alclad candy red? Or can offer some advice? I can provide pictures of the goo if thats going to be of any use.

I am using an IWATA TRN1 airbrush.

Appreciate any advice anyone has

Regards

Hi Matthew, If there are any type of lumps in the paint i would strain it first, you can either buy paint strainers from an automotive paint retailer or ebay, 190 micron is good. Alternatively if you have a female living with you and they have some old tights / pantyhose / stockings, just pour the candy or paint through the material or strainer into the airbrush before spraying.

Lee

How are you mixing your candy ? Sound like it is seeding to me . Which mean you are not adding it to the intercoat clear first mixing well then adding reducer.
If it is pre mixed you may have gotten a bad batch or you have have let it get to cold while in storage.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I took your suggestion Lee and run it through some fine tights. While a whole pot of paint only have me 2 small cups of usable paints it did work. I have ordered some proper nylon paint 190 micron filters from the interwebz.

Mr Micron, I am not mixing it at all. The instructions say go straight from pot to airbrush. The other Alclad colous i had worked just fine doing that. I think I might have got a bad batch as all 3 are the same as I havnt kept them in a cold place.

I was going to phone Alclad on Monday and see what they say

I have no experience with the candy alclad but the stuff I have is thin lacquer and sprays great. NO lumps. That can't be right, I would contact manufacturer.

Hi there, looks like there are some good solutions here. Welcome to the forum, how about popping along to the intro section and saying Hi... where you from, what do you do, what do you use, that sort of thing. Cheers Mark

Back