Problems with Metallics on H&S

Rossi156

Young Tutorling
Hi all,

I am experiencing some problems with spraying metallics from my Infinity and Evolution, specially detail painting, it starts to spray evenly, but then paint stops to come out and I need to open the trigger more to start painting again...this happens with fine lines using proper metallics for airbrushing (AK Xtreme, Zero Paints...), with the trigger open all goes well, but for fine lines, it fails.

I don't have this problem with other paints, only with metallics, and I know it is because of the metallic "flakes", but is there a way to solve this?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but my OCD needs some help o_Olollol

Thanks!

Best,

André Lourenço

Hello,

Is the paint properly thinned? It could be the paint is still a bit thick and causes a small clog. You can try a hint more thinner and test. Also, make sure the paint and thinner are properly mixed.

Thanks,
Ismael

It sounds like the metallic paint is drying quickly on the needle which will block the exit to the nozzle and require more of a trigger pull to flow. Like Ismaeal said, try thinking it more. Also as Mr M said, you’ll need a reasonable sized nozzle to allow for the flake.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback.

The paints are airbrush ready, but yes, I think that they might need a little more thinning...the Infinity has a 0,2 needle, but the Evolution has a 0,4, its big enough! :p

I don't need to do details with metallics, but my way of living is "if it is supposed to do something, it has to do it!!!" :laugh:

All the best,

André Lourenço

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback.

The paints are airbrush ready, but yes, I think that they might need a little more thinning...the Infinity has a 0,2 needle, but the Evolution has a 0,4, its big enough! :p

I don't need to do details with metallics, but my way of living is "if it is supposed to do something, it has to do it!!!" :laugh:

All the best,

André Lourenço
Airbrush ready is a loose term , Meaning while it will work with an airbrush that is .35 or bigger it will not work with anything smaller.
Like you I use to think the same , But to get a metallic effect that looks the part the mils of the paint are too big. So through the .4 you have with the right reduce or a higher PSI it should work.

Airbrush ready can be a little misleading. They may be ready for a .5 nozzle but would require a lot of thinning to pass smoothly through a .2.

I had similar issues with my infinity CR+s too. I switched one over to a 0.4mm and now make it a point to thin and turn up my PSI a bit (as others have recommended). Honestly I don't love running metallics since they are kinda a hassle to clean and can be clog prone (but I do it anyway! 😅)

Back