Problems with red color

S

Skanerost

Hey all,

So started to paint a bairfaster (fishing reel)

Its supposed to have scales on one of the sides, however i have some trouble i want it black and red. But the red turns out either pinkish or purple depending on the color i use for base. Pink with white and purple with black.
Is there some way i can avoid this its really frustrating :)

So any advice would be greatly appreciated !

What brand of paint are you using?
certain paints color shift more than others , I have also had to build the red I wanted over many many thin layers of paint .
You might try laying down a coat of green over the white base , That will make the red darker being it is the opposite color on the wheel.

I wonder if you are using a transparent red? like Mrmicron says - many layers, or else is it possible to find an opaque red?

What brand of paint are you using?
certain paints color shift more than others , I have also had to build the red I wanted over many many thin layers of paint .
You might try laying down a coat of green over the white base , That will make the red darker being it is the opposite color on the wheel.

Im using Etac private stock, and yes its a transparent one, so many layers are required …. unfortunately there was no opaq red for order.
Hmm green you say well might just give that a go to make it darker, i was told i could use white opaq in the transparent red, but that turns even more pink might have misunderstood though.

Ill give green a go and hope for the best, thanks

Im using Etac private stock, and yes its a transparent one, so many layers are required …. unfortunately there was no opaq red for order.
Hmm green you say well might just give that a go to make it darker, i was told i could use white opaq in the transparent red, but that turns even more pink might have misunderstood though.

Ill give green a go and hope for the best, thanks

I have started using the opposite color on the color wheel to do my shading . It gives it richer color than using black or smoke to shade with. If I am going to lighten a color I will go one step up on the wheel So light red would be red with red-orange or orange mixed in.
Sometimes even yellow depending on the color I am going for , But you really need an Opaque for something like your doing right now.

What ive found is basing with orange then hitting it with the red. This will give you a very rich red. Just my 2 pennies

YOU HAVE TO BASE COAT IT Iv noticed \lots of reds have a blue or cold hue or a pink hue it helps to do a yellow under coat if your using etac try the culaberera gold or how ever its spelled red over black wont realy work well unles thats what you want also for a neat effect try over gold metalic wahoo

No problem, I tried it once on the ladybug I did while back. That's the only way I do my reds anymore, especially on white. Did it on Marilyns lips too (that didn't sound right lol)
Well, that depends on any perverts catching that, and running with it lol. Like me for example, thats nice to know you have done IT on Marilyns lips lmfao...so, that should make you...like what 80?? lolol ♥♥

Well, that depends on any perverts catching that, and running with it lol. Like me for example, thats nice to know you have done IT on Marilyns lips lmfao...so, that should make you...like what 80?? lolol ♥♥
How do you know that im not a time traveler??? Or how do you know that im not talking about...in person? Ok that doesn't sound right either... You pervert!

How do you know that im not a time traveler??? Or how do you know that im not talking about...in person? Ok that doesn't sound right either... You pervert!

well being Marilyn Monroe has long since past he might be talking Marilyn Manson:D That is twisted even by my standards..LMAO

Oh ! congrats on the thread jack Michele:D

PMSL Marilyn Mansun, if you could manage IT on those lips, then give yourself a medal, for "manning up" in the face (literally) of adversity. That's some kind of determined stayng power right there!!!!

I have started using the opposite color on the color wheel to do my shading . It gives it richer color than using black or smoke to shade with. If I am going to lighten a color I will go one step up on the wheel So light red would be red with red-orange or orange mixed in.
Sometimes even yellow depending on the color I am going for , But you really need an Opaque for something like your doing right now.

What Herb said about going one color lighter on the color wheel is used to brighten, you can also go one darker for shadow colors.
Adding the opposite color(green) will dull the color, it's great for more realism in paintings, because realistic colors don't have high Chroma.
Going one or two colors darker on the wheel(violet or blue in this case) will darken the shadow color without losing vibrancy.
There are a few ways to go about it, it really depends on what kind of look you are going for.

I should of type Monroe, I should of typed Monroe.....

Well you know hind sight is 20/20 :D But I am sure everyone will get a huge kick out of this and you have manage to make skanerost a true part of the family for setting up such a perfect thread Hijacking....:D

Back