Pull back on the needle to clear a clog? Seems pointless.

P

Panorama Mann

Many ABs have cutaway handles. Is this feature more about a pretty new design than it is about a useful function? I've thought about it a lot and I can't see how this action is any different from simply pulling back on the trigger. Am I missing something?

Here is a simple test you can do to show you, With the rear handle cover off. Pull back the trigger as far as it will go and observe the spry pattern, Now with it still pulled all the way back grab the backside of the needle and pull , You should notice about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch more movement then just the trigger will allow. The Cut away allow you to do this without taking the handle end off,
But some clogs will not blow out by a simple full pull on the trigger and that added little can make a difference.
Then again if you strain you paint and reduce it you should in theory never have a clog.

Many ABs have cutaway handles. Is this feature more about a pretty new design than it is about a useful function? I've thought about it a lot and I can't see how this action is any different from simply pulling back on the trigger. Am I missing something?

I've always thought the same thing. I stand a better chance of pulling all the way back on the trigger and just blasting paint through to clear the clog. There are a few airbrushes to where you can adjust the trigger tension through the cut away, that makes sense, the other I've never used.

Ah, so there is a reason for it. I'll have to give it a try. Anything that helps bust clogs is a good thing! :thumbsup:

I've always thought the same thing. I stand a better chance of pulling all the way back on the trigger and just blasting paint through to clear the clog. There are a few airbrushes to where you can adjust the trigger tension through the cut away, that makes sense, the other I've ABnever used.
Probably like most things in the AB world--it comes down to personal preference.

Probably like most things in the AB world--it comes down to personal preference.

It certainly does, if I get a clog I automatically assume I'm going to get another one so I just clean the brush rather than keep wasting paint all day;)

It certainly does, if I get a clog I automatically assume I'm going to get another one so I just clean the brush rather than keep wasting paint all day;)

That's pretty much what I do now, too. It gets pretty frustrating when yet another clog happens soon after several good cleans though. I use Com-Art mainly, which is usually pretty good, but sometimes I just have a bad clog day.

That's pretty much what I do now, too. It gets pretty frustrating when yet another clog happens soon after several good cleans though. I use Com-Art mainly, which is usually pretty good, but sometimes I just have a bad clog day.

I use comart too now, no problems at all with clogging, I just threw away a load schminke paints that were constantly clogging, if I kept them I would be stupid enough to still try them but since I now have micron I can't afford to take the chance:confused:

Back