Quality masking vinyl

T

Tull

Hi folks.

I've been spraying with tins for a long time, but I got to the end of my talent with them, so I decided to pick up an airbrush, loving it so far but there's certainly a lot to learn.

The masking vinyl I was using with the tins isn't working so well with the air brush paint, must be something different with the way the paint sticks with and without the solvents.

Up to now I've just been using the A4 sheets you can get on Amazon and Ebay for sign writing, quality varies from order to order.

Could someone recommend a really thin vinyl I can use for masking that will give a really crisp edge and wont leave any glue/residue behind?

Many thanks.

Being I am not sure what paint you are calling airbrush paint I am not fully understanding your problem.
I have used Urethane paints to airbrush as well as waterbased paints, So which one are you using?
It is not so much the thickness of the vinyl as it is the tack of it. You want Low tack .

But being this is your first post and we know nothing about who you are , where you're from or ever what equipment you are using as well as paint it will be hard to get a perfect answer to your question.
So hop on over to the introduction section and tell us about yourself.\
You can find that here http://www.airbrushforum.org/introductions/

I was having issues with certain vinyl masks, but it ended up being my method and not really the mask. In my case I was getting some bleeding under the edges of the vinyl making the edges look rough. I believe the cause was from the texture of the surface I was spraying on, so the paint would travel under the vinyl due to capillary action and I wasn't taking that into account. So, I tried doing many thin dusting coats instead of a few wet coats, and the problem went away. I don't know if your issue is similar, but just wanted to point out that sometimes the solution isn't a different product but rather a different technique. Given you've recently changed from rattle cans to an airbrush I thought that worth mentioning, as you could be using techniques that work fine with tins, but won't give as good a result with airbrushes.

I get your point Mr.Micron, I have added an introduction thing.

I think however, you've nailed it, and when I think about it, it makes perfect sense. The vinyl I've been using is sign vinyl, so it will be very high tack, which exactly what I don't want.

Do you know of any good suppliers in the UK? It's proving difficult stuff to track down in any quantity at reasonable prices.

Cheers.

Back