Question for Etac users

S

shadow2462

so, I am looking to make a paint brand change, and at some point in the future I would like to do a little bit of art on metal as in bike / my truck but mostly general art. I know many peeps use Wicked and Auto-air, so my question is this... are Etac paints UV stable and usable for auto? Keep in mind auto is not my intended art path but would like to do some here and there and looking for my options. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice!

The PS ETac is perfect for metal, add in he AG 20/50 and it's even better, the EFX line is the illustration stuff. It too can be used on metal, but is more fragile until coated. I highly recommend the ETac. I love the stuff. Yes AA and Wicked have more colors to chose from. But ETac has almost no tip dry. Only drawback is you have to order it from one source, but they are great to deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed with wmlepage. I use it almost exclusively now, and it has taken a lot of the hassle out of painting.The EFX is re-wettable, so you have to be careful with it until it is cleared, but both the Private Stock and the EFX are safe with UV. Bill Edwards at E'tac will answer any questions you have and can give you a ton of advice on using their product. Their customer service is second to none.

I agree but one question I forgot to ask was , they claim it can be uses right from bottle, but I know all artists will have their consistency that works for them. but if that is true might need to keep more paint on hand since buying will be limited. So what im hearing for general use of Etac stock up on colors I would mainly use. Now if anyone has any knowledge / info to dispute this current info, hit up this thread, slap da gauntlet down and speak your peace.

I always thin it down. They recommend thinning with bottled water, and then I also use the AG modifier with just about everything. The AG was designed for harder surfaces, but I like the way it sprays, so I'll put a couple of drops in with ever color change. I guard my E'tac stock, so I'll still use other paints for base coats, just to help keep the costs down a bit. E'tac isn't expensive, but it does cost a little more than some of the cheaper paints I can grab locally for base coats.

im not familiar with this ag modifier all iv been using is the extend air and efx which im convinced is nothing but transparent base so some body fill me in on this ag modifier also when i did tose paintings on glass the efx never realy dried in the 90% humidity if its dry atmosphere and you hit it with a blow dryer before clearing it the stuff is awesome it lays down smooth no roughnes at all meaning if you coat it with a good layer of clear gloss it should look like wet sanded and polished laqueer i prefer the efx i havent tried it on metal or glass and my land lord wont klet me use my blow dryer or i would try it i have to wauit for a day when she goes to work. as for the private stock i do like it but its not rewetabkle so it seems to have the same problems as wicked id recomend getting some of each and trying it your self im suprized with your geography you havent already . if i place an order with chris before 2;00 he tries to ship that day and its on my door step in two daysfor you it might be 1 just kidding probly 2 days.

thee reason efx doesnt have tip dry is becaus of it is re wet able the paint doesnt settle and dry on the needle so if you paint on a non adsorbent surface such as glass and its extreemly humid the paint will always have a tacky surface to it so before you clear it you should hit it with some dry heat makes sense to me

I'll second (or third, or whatever) whats been said so far. Both PS and EFX spray great, are certified non-toxic, and are lightfast. I've used EFX on quite a few hard-surface projects, and never has a problem. I've used urethane 2k clears over it, nitro laquers, all sorts of cheap rattle can clears. Not a single problem.

You do have a single supplier, but Bill and the rest of the crew are absolutely great to work with. IMO, they have the best customer service in the industry, bar none. They'll bend over backwards to keep their customers happy.

As far as reducing, I usually spray it without any reduction. If I do reduce it, I'll use a couple drops of bottled water and/or a drop or two of condition-air (which is invaluable stuff, btw).

I use E'Tac EFX, Wicked detail, and sometimes CI. Different tools for different jobs. But, E'Tac definitely sprays the best, and has the best, most consistent quality. I like the color palate offered by Createx better (which is based off of Holbien's palate), but E'Tac's palate is definitely adequate to get any job done.

A few drops of water is all that's needed for reduction... but it does also spray straight from bottle (no really this one actually does) been told to hey some reduce air aswell

im not to happy with there greens for natural leaves next time i order il just get some extra collors i need to pre mix my own leaf green il say one thing thaere customer service is awesome and as far as tthe colors hey look at what marissa does with them how can you complain about her work absolutely awesome ACK IM RUNNING LOW ALREADY JUST PLACED AN ORDER PAINTING TO MUCH lol ...dont mind me all nighter you know im tired

Marissa showed me nicely what to look for when reducing. Not to go too far and break the pigment down. If you want to make it transparent, you use medium. If you want to thin, you use water which also will make it more transparent.

You can also get the EFX base( reduce air) and mix it 4:1 with the PS paints and make it eraseable like the EFX. I have done this. Yes it makes it more transparent at the same time, but aren't we supposed to work slow. Many times with the PS on paper I reduce my colors 1:1:1. 1 paint, 1 extend air, 1 water. Works great this way. And on a hard surface just sub the extend air for the 20/50.

According to ETac the 20/50 can also help other paint lines to perform better. I have put some in my wicked white Not sure if it helps it that much. But the 20/50 can be very versatile. As a clear base, a clear top coat, and as an additive for thinning paint opacity, and as a means to get a herder paint film on solid surfaces.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I need a midnight blue, I actually prefer to use a color from Createx (Wish E'tac would add that shade to their line up), but I'll add the Ag20/50 to it in about a 5:2:4 ratio. 5 drops paint, 2 drops AG, 4 drops water, and I notice a huge difference in how it sprays. With the AG, it almost sprays like regular E'tac.... almost. Cuts down on the tip dry a good bit, and really lays down on the harder surfaces very nicely.

When I need a midnight blue, I actually prefer to use a color from Createx (Wish E'tac would add that shade to their line up), but I'll add the Ag20/50 to it in about a 5:2:4 ratio. 5 drops paint, 2 drops AG, 4 drops water, and I notice a huge difference in how it sprays. With the AG, it almost sprays like regular E'tac.... almost. Cuts down on the tip dry a good bit, and really lays down on the harder surfaces very nicely.

I think I'll have to get some 20/50 and try that.

I've asked Bill about why he uses the pigments he does, and not always the "standard" pigments. The short version- he uses the highest quality pigments he can that allow for paint performance and lightfastness while maintaining the "certified non-toxic" rating. (i.e. some paint pigments can be hazardous to your health. Not usually at airbrushing-size doses, but they are still hazardous.)

But, if you ask him, he can tell you specifically, color-for-color, why he chose the particular pigments he did. Just be ready for an avalanche of information ;-)

I use ETAC and love the stuff!! Very little to no tip dry! I use the private stock on bikes, vehicles and such and its proven itself time and again. I also use the PS for shirts and canvas!! It is erasable but isn't near as easy to erase as the EFX is (or so everyone has told me, I haven't had the chance to try the EFX line yet) but I was able to erase with an electric eraser for highlights. Great coverage as well, even when thinned!! The hardest part for me is to quit eating that stuff.....I know right... man, I've tried everything, but Im addicted to it....it smells sooo damn good I cant control myself, hahaha. It does smell good. My wife actually likes me painting with it cause it smells so good, lol. The only thing I don't like in the ETAC line, and it has nothing to do with paint, the paint is awesome.....is their caps on the PS realllllyyyyy suck. I have to clean them out every single time I want to use a color because of the design. I have a lot of empty bottles of Wicked so Im taking the tops off my Wicked bottles and putting on my ETAC bottles to solve the issue, but as far as the paint, I think its one of the best on the market!!!!! Oh, and the 20/50 is a must. I even use the 20/50 with my Wicked and Spectra Tex. Im sure its probably not recommended but it did improve their flow without breaking the pigment down!!!! I wish I would have bought the larger bottles but I wanted to try it out first, so my next order will be my most used colors as you stated and will be the larger bottles!!!

I use ETAC and love the stuff!! Very little to no tip dry! I use the private stock on bikes, vehicles and such and its proven itself time and again. I also use the PS for shirts and canvas!! It is erasable but isn't near as easy to erase as the EFX is (or so everyone has told me, I haven't had the chance to try the EFX line yet) but I was able to erase with an electric eraser for highlights. Great coverage as well, even when thinned!! The hardest part for me is to quit eating that stuff.....I know right... man, I've tried everything, but Im addicted to it....it smells sooo damn good I cant control myself, hahaha. It does smell good. My wife actually likes me painting with it cause it smells so good, lol. The only thing I don't like in the ETAC line, and it has nothing to do with paint, the paint is awesome.....is their caps on the PS realllllyyyyy suck. I have to clean them out every single time I want to use a color because of the design. I have a lot of empty bottles of Wicked so Im taking the tops off my Wicked bottles and putting on my ETAC bottles to solve the issue, but as far as the paint, I think its one of the best on the market!!!!! Oh, and the 20/50 is a must. I even use the 20/50 with my Wicked and Spectra Tex. Im sure its probably not recommended but it did improve their flow without breaking the pigment down!!!! I wish I would have bought the larger bottles but I wanted to try it out first, so my next order will be my most used colors as you stated and will be the larger bottles!!!

Oh yeah... forgot to mention the caps on the PS. They bug me too. I have an old exacto knife I keep in my studio, just for the purpose of pulling dried paint out of those silly caps. Never though about stealing the caps from my other bottles. Good call there, Russ.

I don't know what the normal E'tac bottles are like but I also decanted my Marissa set into smaller bottles that can drop one drop at a time without waste. The eye droppers are great but the bottle openings are too narrow so you scrape all the paint off the dropper and it settle on the thread and waste paint.

ny4etema.jpg

I need some lids just like that Andre!!!! The Wicked lids help a lot, but the factory lids on the ETAC bottles royally suck, lol. Oh, forgot to mention, I do use ETAC straight from the bottle when doing Tshirts, works great!!!!

First let me say thanks for all your comments, opinions, and information. I have tried to look at the pros and cons of both brands and honestly Etac wins however there is another circumstance to look at...co$t! Dollar for dollar if I purchase 24 oz. of Etac & no reducer it would cost me $113 incl. ship. meanwhile I can purchase 30 oz. Wicked +6 oz. reducer at a cost of $80 incl. ship. And when considering that Etac requires less reduction that means a lower volume of paint over all and for me not cost effective. So for financial reasons I guess I will have to deal with any issues Wicked should present.

oh my god i just laughed me arse off last night i axidently spilled a bunch of etac ps on the floor because i had to take the cap off because it was clogged the dropper bottles and eye drop bottles tthe efx come in are great but the bottles the private stock come with are weasel poo im waiting for a call from chris tomorow morning regarding an order im going to ask if he can send me some eyedrop bottles

i would seriousdly re think that lol just order some 1 oz botles efx white black and red or something like that and try it youu donnt need the reducer its just transparent base

Back