question for the hok guys

airbrushingferret

Air-Valve Autobot!
i have one of those trek street mountain bikes and it is silver and blue with black over a metallic base . i would like to do a custom paint job using hok candies. hears the issues I have i cant realy mess around with 2 parts in my room i rent an attic room in warm weather i have a fan that is on 24 7 blowing the warm air out so ventilation is not an issue i would like to do a small skull and flames with a 3-d graphics so the frame does not look like tubes thain go over it with tangerine and voodoo violet and possibly some other Candie colors that part is not the problem , the problem is i have to prep the bike first i need to make it all one color metallic silver , i don't have allot of money and i probably already know the answer to my question. this bicycle is all i have to get around for right now and it will just be my portable sample when i go looking for a job at an auto shop or go to car shows or bike shows. I guess the question is i have 4 oz of auto air silver and gold and wicked white should i just get a heat gun to heat set the wicked and use those paints Thain clear with the 1 part euro spray can i got from coast i think that would make my life allot easier I also don't have allot of money till i get going in the spring. I am just concearned about the auto air silver looking as good as the orion silver from hok. i want this to come out sweet as far as i am concerned i should do the whole dang thing with auto air Thain i don't have to worry about fumes i can clear coat outside One last question for painting a bicycle is it going to make much difference if i use hok or auto air candies

HOK is a dye candie unlike AutoAir which is a pigment candy.
So it you are just planning on one color of candy that you can use the Autoair. But if you plan on layering up different colors of candy than go HOK .
As far as the silver only those who really know their paints will notice a big difference. But with nothing on it to compare against you will be fine. It is hard for water based paints to beat the depth that you can get using urethane But You can use both HOK and AutoAir in the same piece.

Yes you want a lot of air flow over the AutoAir , Blow dryers are cheaper than a heat gun and will set the paint just fine.

thanks micron i think il just do white base with wicked thain metalic silver thain a single part euro clear from coast i already have it thain i can wet sand that and i should be fine il use hok candies after thats done i do want layers i want it to look like art work i biker would like on there bike thats thje point of it. i dont want it to look like some home less guy used spraycans lol i also want to put a skull on the front were the name would go maybe after i can do a cool looking trek name with flames lol

thanks micron i think il just do white base with wicked thain metalic silver thain a single part euro clear from coast i already have it thain i can wet sand that and i should be fine il use hok candies after thats done i do want layers i want it to look like art work i biker would like on there bike thats thje point of it. i dont want it to look like some home less guy used spraycans lol i also want to put a skull on the front were the name would go maybe after i can do a cool looking trek name with flames lol

That does sound like a cool paint theme you have come up with , I know the art work will be killer cause you pour you heart into it ,
make sure you post pics up , and do not spray the HOK in doors where people live...Oh wear a spray mask too.... I want ABFerret around for a long time...

cool thanks il wear a resperator i already have one i used it for fiberglass i have an exaust fan for my room. I just need to come up with a desight i am thinking of looking at home depot they sell aluminum tubes i can tryout diferent ideas need something that looks like you can poke your finger into it lol not a nose

Last edited:
i was just goofing around practicing daggers and stuff and playing with colors so i had etac magenta Thain added blue of course purple came oot thain more magenta thain decided com art aurilian yellow which is close to etac culebra gold when all of a suden i came out with an awesome burnt orange so since etac colors are already some what transparent i am thinking of using them or even etac transparent private stock instead of hok for at least this project i really want to use hok but i cant really afford it now after all its just a bicycle and the efect after applying the 2 part clear from coast will defiantly be awesome

i was just goofing around practicing daggers and stuff and playing with colors so i had etac magenta Thain added blue of course purple came oot thain more magenta thain decided com art aurilian yellow which is close to etac culebra gold when all of a suden i came out with an awesome burnt orange so since etac colors are already some what transparent i am thinking of using them or even etac transparent private stock instead of hok for at least this project i really want to use hok but i cant really afford it now after all its just a bicycle and the efect after applying the 2 part clear from coast will defiantly be awesome

Sounds like you have found your own answers , Plus if you look at some of the work being done in today's market with water borne paint it can stand toe to toe with HOK. Except for the Kandies.
So being you know etac and most of the water borne paint , I know you can make that bike come out with a stellar paint job.
I know a guy on another forum who does rust effects on cars with AutoAir candy rootbeer and they come out killer. Just get a piece of metal and practice the effects on it so you will know what the end product will look like.,

Back