Question need answered FAST!

D

Decryptionally

[Solved]Question need answered FAST!

Just got my sotar and air regulator, and all of the hoses and pieces fit IF I have the regulator in, but I think the regulator MIGHT be broke. This is the regulator I got: Amazon.com - Airbrush Depot® Brand Airbrush Compressor AIR Regulator with Water-trap Filter, Now Included Is a (Free) How to Airbrush Training Book to Get You Started.
When I put it in and all, and turn the compressor on, the air is leaking out of the regulator out of some hole right by the gauge reading the PSI. Any ideas? I tried taping it up. I cannot get the hose to fit the airbrush unless the regulators in, so really need this fixed....any ideas? Is it broken? Is it supposed to be like this? Whats up with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have it hooked up in the right direction? There is a definite in and out. Have you tried adjusting it? Or it may just be junk. But we can try to diagnose it for you before you decide it's junk.

Looking at the pics, you can only hook it up one way. Is the gauge tight? Is the air from under the adjuster cap? Take the bowl off, see if the oring seal is seated correctly, or even there. Also look for any areas near the gauge or threaded areas that look cracked.

Can you adjust the pressure op and down? I know that when I close it down when I am done, it will bleed the air from my airbrush line back....
Are the fittings tight and is there thread tape used?
Thats all I can think of.....not sure what you mean by hole near the gauge?
Hope you can figure it out...

If you still get a reading on the gauge it's unlikely that it's broken, the gauge simply screws in and it's my guess that it's not exactly a snug fit, you should be able to unscrew the gauge it'self and apply some Teflon tape around the threads then replace it, I'm assuming the hole you mention is the hole that receives the gauge?.

Take a peek at the comments on the Amazon page (if you haven't done that already). In the third comment leaking is mentioned as well as the solution. Did the connectors screw in easily - did you not have to use force to screw them in?

Last edited:
If you still get a reading on the gauge it's unlikely that it's broken, the gauge simply screws in and it's my guess that it's not exactly a snug fit, you should be able to unscrew the gauge it'self and apply some Teflon tape around the threads then replace it, I'm assuming the hole you mention is the hole that receives the gauge?.

No, there is actually a small hole but it looks like they meant to make it there right near the gauge....the gauge reads and all the air is just leaking...Thanks for help so far!

Picture of hole:
http://prntscr.com/2gfuht
Definately meant to be there, its in the picture on amazon. Wonder why its leaking?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree I think there should be a small grub screw there to stop accidental unscrewing of the gauge.

If you look at the pic in the first post link, you will see the hole....
I think it is the air release (bleed) when you close the valve. any air past this unit will bleed from there. Mine has it built into the gauge.
Do you need to lift or push the knob before you adjust the pressure? Mine doesnt need to unlock, I just turn...
Do you have air going to your a/b while this leaks air?
Cheers

Yep agree, looks like a bleed hole, should I my vent air when adjusting e pressure lower from a higher pressure, it will vent the line to meet the new setting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you look at the pic in the first post link, you will see the hole....
I think it is the air release (bleed) when you close the valve. any air past this unit will bleed from there. Mine has it built into the gauge.
Do you need to lift or push the knob before you adjust the pressure? Mine doesnt need to unlock, I just turn...
Do you have air going to your a/b while this leaks air?
Cheers

You need to lift it to unlock, mine does it, I push it down when I choose my pressure so it doesn't move with the vibration of the comp, although i'ts pretty stiff so it probably wouldn't do that anyway.

But whether it has that feature or not, I still believe that it is closed and needs to be opened.

If it is the bleed hole and it is letting air through when the compressor is running, it sounds like it's on backward. The side which should be connected to the airbrush is connected to the compressor.

That was my original thought too. Maybe they assembled the adapter fitting on the wrong side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was my original thought too. Maybe they assembled the adapter fitting on the wrong side.

Thanks. So what should I do? Throw it out? Is it really necessary for a moisture trap at my level? I'm not really doing anything for customers or anything obviously, just working on lines dots and doing a couple of small not super detailed pictures. I used my Iwata Neo with no moisture trap and it seemed fine. I'm working in my freezing garage, does this cause more moisture or less moisture? Should I move to the basement where its warmer?

Thanks. So what should I do? Throw it out? Is it really necessary for a moisture trap at my level? I'm not really doing anything for customers or anything obviously, just working on lines dots and doing a couple of small not super detailed pictures. I used my Iwata Neo with no moisture trap and it seemed fine. I'm working in my freezing garage, does this cause more moisture or less moisture? Should I move to the basement where its warmer?

You always want to use a moist trap even if it is practice.
You also want your paint area to be around 70f degrees , If it is too cold like under 40 you run the risk of the moist in the airline freezing. just like the temp outside feels colder when the wind blows same thing in your airline.

So unless you are spraying urethane move to the basement.

As for the trap, look for a directional arrow or triangle. If they assembled the fittings backwards, swap them, just might have to move the gauge to the other side.

As for the trap, look for a directional arrow or triangle. If they assembled the fittings backwards, swap them, just might have to move the gauge to the other side.

Got it! Thanks for the help!

i had a ximilar problem with the badger regulator and no mater what i did air stil leaked from that hole i just gotied another regulator end of problem but that doesn't mean yours is defective you also say you have a defective water separator and that doesn't relay seem to be something that could be defective show us some pictures of how your setting everything up perhaps your doing something wong. ps wellcome to the frustrating world of airbrushing

Check out the hole for a thread [ I'm assuming r/h thread] in it.
If so, you'll have to get a screw or grub screw to fit.
Should solve your leak hassle.

Back