Question On Badger Airbrush

T

ThomasJ.

I posted this question on the Beginners page but haven't gotten any replies. Hopefully this page will do better. I am currently using a Paasche Talon airbrush for use on my model RR cars to weather them but I am thinking of trying the
Badger Xtreme Patriot 105-XTR and was wondering what the difference is between that one and the plain 105 model? I need something that will give me a real fine atomized spray and from the description of the Extreme model it looks like that may be the one. And what about the Renegade Krome, would that be an even better choice than the 105 Extreme? Also will I need to buy a new disconnect and hose for the badger or can I use what I'm currently using with the Paasche? Thanks for any help. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this question on the Beginners page but haven't gotten any replies. Hopefully this page will do better. I am currently using a Paasche Talon airbrush for use on my model RR cars to weather them but I am thinking of trying the
Badger Xtreme Patriot 105-XTR and was wondering what the difference is between that one and the plain 105 model? I need something that will give me a real fine atomized spray and from the description of the Extreme model it looks like that may be the one. And what about the Krome, would that be an even better choice than the 105 Extreme? Also will I need to buy a new disconnect and hose for the badger or can I use what I'm currently using with the Paasche? Thanks for any help. :)

I think it has more to do with no having had both brushes than the page it's on, so no one is really in a position to answer, I believe one our members @bex has the badger extreme patriot and can maybe tell you if it's good or not, as far as I know she seemed to like it, after a little checking all I could find out was that there three main differences to the old patriot, these were the addition of precision air control valve built in, a much higher trigger for smoother control and an exposed head fro easy picking of tip dry, I've never had any experience with either of the brushes you mention but I do that the reviews are positive over all the badger brushes as well there renowned customer care, so based on this I think you would probably be pleased with the extreme patriot, since it seems that the quality of modern paasche airbrushes has taken a dive and they aren't what the y once were.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help you much but as I said if no one has owned are even tried out both brushes the won't really be in a position give you a comparison, badger airbrushes are know to be very popular among modelers, I have personally avoided them only because where I live dealers and spares are scarce, and ordering from abroad would be killed by shipping costs, since you are in the USA you will have far more luck with spares and such, Ken the CEO of badger is a member here on the forum and pretty much a gentleman who is very approachable, I hope you get sorted out.

Hey thanks for your quick reply. I'll wait and see if anyone else chimes in. :)
I'm not looking so much for comparisons but what people feel about either of those brushes for fine atomization spraying. In fact maybe there's an airbrush I haven't mentioned that would do what I'm looking for that someone can recommend.

Hey thanks for your quick reply. I'll wait and see if anyone else chimes in. :)

No problem, hopefully Bex will be able to give you some info at least but even if you don't here anything soon enough I still think Badger would be your best choice even if it isn't the extreme patriot:)

From what I've read, the Extreme is a great gun and all say it is way better than the regular 105. Also the Paasche does not have a good rep.

Have used a patriot with a fine line conversion kit, am guessing it may not be far of what the extreme may be spray wise, but personally haven't used that gun so can't comment on it, but would likely do the job. All mid range to high range guns will probably atomize the way you want, as all brushes essentially atomize the paint. Thats how airbrushe's airbrush :) but its all about the detail and the size you want to paint and thats more to do with needle size and skill base more than brand. Paasche are being left behind a bit and few use them these days besides hobbyist. How small do you want to paint? That may get you some better answers as to what may be useful, and whats your budget?

Basically to do a fade on the shiny paint of a new model as shown in this pic and then do a mild weathering with weathered black paint. The spray as you can see must be very light to almost nothing and spray consistent which I'm having trouble with the Paasche doing.bn61_pep.jpg

Looks like dusting basically, any brush will do that, well most. Get your reduction right and spray from a distance and lightly "dust" the surface. You can consider increasing pressure to better atomize from your paasche, hold the model on a slight angle so much of the spray goes past the model (again from a distance and rotate the hand holding the model rather than per say doing a stroke with the airbrush hand..More technique I think than gun type, going a fine detail gun may not best serve you in this need..Would do the job but something with a bigger needle setup and higher pressures is a good thing for this..consider an Badger Anthem. It can do the big heavier sprays of basing your models, it will also dust nicely and on top buy a fine line conversion kit for it and it will also do detail, but get some practice first, the Anthem is hard for some to come to terms with....good luck.

Yep I have the xtreme. I got it a few weeks after it came out its been promoted to my go to brush since then really. I haven't actually used the original patriot though. But I have used (and still use) the krome and sotar.

I wanted something that did a finer line than the sotar but allowed me to use more paint in the cup too. and thought I'd take a chance with the xtreme.

i found it flows lovely. Its very easy to clean and use ( where the sotar and krome can be a bit more fiddly with their smaller parts and nossels)

The trigger hight took me a few days to get use to as I was use to a lower trigger but once use to it I like it now. The shape of the trigger works really well seems to stop a few cramps setting in its rounded on the top . I think it's well balanced and weighted it's so far the only brush I have kept the back section on.
I like the fact it's a bit chunkier and a bit more solid than the other badger airbrushes I have feels better to use and easier to hold.
I paint with solvents and it's had no issues at all with them.

Anything you want to know just ask and I will put the brush through its paces for you.
:)
definitely worth a buy though in my opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I fond a what appears to be a great price for an Iwata Hp-BP on Amazon and I went ahead and grabbed it. I heard so much about Iwata so I'm waiting to see how it works for me. :)

Back