Questions about which paint to use for auto and illustraton

R

Rados19

I have read a ton on the different paints on here, and have a couple ?'s. I want to know which paint I could use to do illustration and automotive. I would like to do paintings along the lines Micheal Godard's whimsical olive scenes, but would also like to be able to do some custom scenes on motorcycles, helmets, etc. Would the etac efx line work for both of these applications? From what I've read so far, they would be great for the automotive aspect, but what about the illustration? I would be using an Iwata hp-cp, and am looking at getting another Iwata, but can't pul lthe trigger on the micron yet. I love the gravity feed/ bowl of the hp-cp, so I would like to stick with that set up, but any opinions on a different Iwata that I can add to my set-up that is better suited for illustration? I am new to illustration, and any advice given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I have used ghe etac/grex line for both of these I recently did a man tribute bike your other option for a dual purpose paint is wicked colors

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the advice. What's the difference between the efx and the grey line? I hear that the etac efx is the cat's a$$ when it comes to paint flow and tip dry. I know it's probably a matter of preference and what you've had the best success with.

E'tac makes some great paints. I use the Private Stock line for most everything, but am slowly moving to the EFX. It does flow wonderfully, and the pigments are the same in both lines and hold up to UV light very well. The EFX is re-wettable, meaning, even after you spray it and its dry, if it gets wet, it can ruin your whole day. Touch your painting with a damp finger by mistake, and you'll be fixing a nasty smudge. I like to add a little AG 20/50 to the EFX, or even Extend Air (the PS base) and that makes it a lot less touchy when it comes to my clumsiness, but it still keeps most of its great spray characteristics. Besides a somewhat limited color palette, I love E'tac paints. I say limited colors, but that is because Bill Edwards will only use pigments that are 100% non-toxic... plus they smell really nice. LOL

E'tac makes some great paints. I use the Private Stock line for most everything, but am slowly moving to the EFX. It does flow wonderfully, and the pigments are the same in both lines and hold up to UV light very well. The EFX is re-wettable, meaning, even after you spray it and its dry, if it gets wet, it can ruin your whole day. Touch your painting with a damp finger by mistake, and you'll be fixing a nasty smudge. I like to add a little AG 20/50 to the EFX, or even Extend Air (the PS base) and that makes it a lot less touchy when it comes to my clumsiness, but it still keeps most of its great spray characteristics. Besides a somewhat limited color palette, I love E'tac paints. I say limited colors, but that is because Bill Edwards will only use pigments that are 100% non-toxic... plus they smell really nice. LOL
Does the AG 20/50 or extend air decrease, or increase the drying time? As far as illustration goes, I would like to be able to use a low tack frisket, and am curious about how long before I can use the frisket without lifting paint, I am planning on using a cold pressed illustration board, but maybe there is a better suggestion? Thanks for your help

I use Wicked Paints on everything from Tshirts, to Harleys, to golf cart bodies. I use it on everything!!

The E'Tac EFX is really designed as an illustration paint that also happens to work for custom work. It responds really well to scratching and erasing techniques, and is rewettable, which opens up a ton of artistic options. It can be a bit fragile, but once cleared its as durable as anything.

where in WI are you at, btw? If you're near the Fox Valley area I can give you a bit of E'Tac to try out if you'd like.

The E'Tac EFX is really designed as an illustration paint that also happens to work for custom work. It responds really well to scratching and erasing techniques, and is rewettable, which opens up a ton of artistic options. It can be a bit fragile, but once cleared its as durable as anything.

where in WI are you at, btw? If you're near the Fox Valley area I can give you a bit of E'Tac to try out if you'd like.
I am in southeast WI. Between Madison and Milwaukee (which btw is the 10th most violent city in the country. Nice, right?). Would love to chat sometime and possibly meet. You could steer this newbie in the right direction more in a half hour of face to face than we could accomplish in 10 hours of chatting on here. I could buy you a coffee or beer,and we could burn a Bears jersey:friendly_wink:.

Back