Quick Question, total noob.

D

Decryptionally

Hello! I just got my first airbrush and other tools for Christmas, and I want to get into this stuff. I am going to be doing customs on shoes in the future, but I want to start off on paper. What is a very cheap, yet very satisfactory paint that I can buy? It does not matter if it is online or in stores, just very anxious to start. Thank you! P.S. My starter kit is very expensive! My family spent $300 just on the compressor :p! So don't worry, I know the basics of this and everything, just never done it. Thanks!

Where are you located? If you are in the States and have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels close both have AB paint section with paints. Michaels sells Badger brand Spectra-tex ... nice and cheap-ish , cost wise. But the paint goes a loooong way. I forget what Hobby Lobby sells as I am not near one to make a good enough excuse to drive to .

Congrats and welcome. Paints usually available in the US locally are Spectra Tex at Michaels and Wicked at Hobby Lobby. I don't remember if Spectra Tex is lightfast, but it is great paint. Wicked is probably best suited for shoes, it is durable as hell, and lightfast.

EDIT:Nevermind, I got beat to it. :)

Where are you located? If you are in the States and have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels close both have AB paint section with paints. Michaels sells Badger brand Spectra-tex ... nice and cheap-ish , cost wise. But the paint goes a loooong way. I forget what Hobby Lobby sells as I am not near one to make a good enough excuse to drive to .
Thanks! How is Createx? I found a nice 16 set kit of it for $60 on eBay. Does this sound like a good deal?

ooooph.... you would have to price check that. I have an extreme prejudice against E-bay. Between "low prices, high shipping" and NIB usually equals its new but 10 years old. I will only say be very careful . You can probly find it cheaper and better customer service from vendors like Coastairbrush.com or TCPglobal or whatever it is....still early for me to type.... Delete button is getting a lot of action today.

The Hobby stores listed usually have good coupons. Heck (I didn't say this) Michaels is notorious for almost being able to name your own price. I got a 6 pack primary color set of Spectra-tex for $15 without a coupon and they usually are $40-ish. Someone put it under the wrong price tag. They gave it to me anyways!

Thanks! How is Createx? I found a nice 16 set kit of it for $60 on eBay. Does this sound like a good deal?

I would not recommend Createx for a new user, it's very thick and not lightfast. I started off with it, but there is a huge learning curve with reducing it.
It's great T-Shirt paint if you have a .5mm needle and have your PSI on your compressor at 50 or higher.

I would also add not to use opaque paints at first, hey will give no end of headaches in the beginning, and make sure to get an appropriate reducer. Wicked has it's own, spectratex uses water, many starter sets will come with one bottle of reducer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I would also add not to use opaque paints at first, hey will give no end of headaches in the beginning, and make sure to get an appropriate reducer. Wicked has it's own, spectratex uses water, many starter sets will come with one bottle of reducer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks for all the replies...if you guys can help me with a new question please go ahead and check it out, its in the Airbrush Compressors section. Thanks...really desperate for an answer :\

Hi Decrypt - if you can get Com-Art then do so, either a paynes grey or transparent smoke - unless of course you want a full colour set. but there is a reason for not wanting a straight opaque black at this stage of the game - too black too fast is unforgiving on mistakes.

Back