Rain x type fluid

Robbyrockett2

Air-Valve Autobot!
It's been amazing!

So I ran out of 4012 reducer and I know a lot of people use washer fluid in it's stead. I've used washer fluid to thin latex paints in big airguns and it worked slightly better than water, without extending the drying time as bad. So i looked around and what I had on hand was Splash brand washer fluid with rain repellent, I'm assuming it's very similar to rain-x. I've never used the stuff with extra add ins for fear it would make the paint crack or affect the longevity or some other crazyness but decided since what i am painting is just paper which will spend its life indoors and it's not a paid job I figured heck i'll try it.

I checked the forum and found one discussion about rain x on needle tips, which seems like it would work for about five minutes and there were mixed opinions on doing that.

Anyhow I tried it and as i painted i noticed the performance getting better and better. As of right now it has made for a fantastic paint night! I've got about twice the control i had using 4012, I'm pulling hairlines ( and i mean tiny hairlines) slowly and easily with very little effort.
Best of all tip dry has been non- existant!
I'm not 100 percent sure that It's just this stuff and not some other factor like humidity or something since I've only used it tonight.

It hasn't affected the paint when hitting the paper, as far as spidering or anything like that. I've even painted over clear with no problems, and as of four hours later theres no paint crack or anything.
So far it seems like having a continuously self polishing needle. I'm not really worried about getting a buildup since my end of night cleanings are with acetone which i know strips off those polymer waxes in a heartbeat.

I would put this in tips and tricks but I don't know, Is there any reason anyone knows of that I should stop using this stuff?
Maybe theres something i'm not thinking of or can't predict?

I'm interested in hearing responses to this. Something I might give a try if those in the know say it won't hurt the paint in anyway..thanks for the idea

I've used washer fluid when thinning craft acrylics to paint model cars but it has never crossed my mind to use it with Createx. I'll follow this to see what others think about it.

Richard

When you use products not design for paint the paint will fail at some point.
The old home brew reducers were made when there were no reducers made by the makers of the paint.
Avoid using things that are not made for paint in the first place.

The old home brew was only glycerin, alcohol and water.. NOTHING ELSE.

Yeah youre right. I'm too leery to use it on anything that really matters. I'm sure it affects the longevity in some way but if it's like microscopic spidering under the clear 10 years from now, well, It's not a rotorhead on a blackhawk.
I'll consider my paintings a sacrificial experiment for now and let you guys know how well it works out.
It just works too well not to know for sure what the effects will be.

Last edited:
I'm always up for some experimentation. What is the exact product?

They make different colors and uses of Splash.

This was it..... It's just what i happened to have on hand and i'll probably try something with a little less added claims because that worries me a bit.
I kind of think the de-icer and bug remover thing is actually just an increase in the methanol content but I really don't know.
Its like a purple leaning blue color.

Attachments

• splash.png
    splash.png
    340.4 KB · Views: 23
This was it..... It's just what i happened to have on hand and i'll probably try something with a little less added claims because that worries me a bit.
I kind of think the de-icer and bug remover thing is actually just an increase in the methanol content but I really don't know.
Damn that has all the good chemicals in it LOL .. MASK UP!

LOL , I know, fun stuff. I'm always masked. Just got in that habit so i don't have to think about whether i need it or not.

There was an older thread about that. Haven't tried but i don't imagine it would last very long. I could try just spraying some of this stuff between colors.

Well after taking a look at the MSDS's for this stuff and 4012. Both require a respirator but the hazardous ingredients in 4012 actually have about 3 times lower exposure limits . (34% methanol (200ppm exposure limit) in the washer fluid and up to 24% butoxyl ether (50ppm exposure limit) in 4012)
I'd say we're in the same ballpark safety wise. Again BOTH REQUIRE A RESPIRATOR.

So far I haven't had any issues with it paintwise albeit it's only a couple days old and the performance is just fantastic!
It's ever so slightly more difficult to clean the dried paint you get on the walls of your paint cup in the gun using just water so it must make the paint slightly more water resistant. Which means adhesion between layers is probably not as good.

I still wouldn't go using it on a car or anything but im still a fan of all uros on outdoor stuff.
Indoors on paper, meh, bottom dollar craft paint will last for years so i have my doubts that however this affects wicked will ever be noticable on these personal paintings. Only time will tell.....

I would worry about using it as it states on the bottom left of the picture...Poison!!!. I don't think it's met to be sprayed out of an airbrush or paint gun as a mist. You might be killing more then a few Brain cell's along with the people around you?

I would not let that fluid any were near my paint or airbrush for the same reason I dont let any createx reducers near my airbrush I paint inside my house in a converted bed room studio and dont want to expose my wife or our animals to any harm full mists

I would not let that fluid any were near my paint or airbrush for the same reason I dont let any createx reducers near my airbrush I paint inside my house in a converted bed room studio and dont want to expose my wife or our animals to any harm full mists
In a case like that, do you use all AP non-toxic paints? Like Air-tex? I'm just curious?

I only use non toxic Etac paints no need to thin that paint and if you do want to thin it down just use plain water that is all this paint needs

Thanks! good option to know of . I haven't really liked the air-tex I have. It is probably very old though. If i'm not mistaken Etac is geared more towards Illustration than air-tex?

Thanks! good option to know of . I haven't really liked the air-tex I have. It is probably very old though. If i'm not mistaken Etac is geared more towards Illustration than air-tex?
the Etac EFX is the illustration version and the Private Stock is more for T shirts but can also be used on metal just keep in mind it contains water so it needs time to dry between every layer if you work on metal

Thanks for the info on that. At the house I work in a shed but with winter coming I may want to do some things in a spare bedroom. Plus If i'm using the airbrush more in my murals I'd like to have something better than thinned down artist acrylic to use.
I probably won't use the private stock since If i'm working on metal I'm probably at the shop, Where there are regularly gel coats, urethanes, polyester resins, fiberglass grindings and every other nasty thing you can think of floating around the air.
Still good to know though.

Back