Ratios

sevastra

Needle-chuck Ninja
I was reading some webpages giving ratio ideas for different projects and exercises, for people who are just messing around trying to find out what they like. Is the first number generally the reducer? like a 10:1, 10 drop reducer to 1 drop paint? I was reading comments on the pages and some people would put it backwards, so its confusing. Also, what if you're mixing colors, say yellow and red, but you want it a deeper orange so you add more red than yellow, is it all relative to the color you are trying to achieve, or will it look odd if a lot of the piece is done with a 10:1 ratio and other parts not?

God, graffiti was much easier, haha.

I would say that its always more reducer than pant so 1 - 10 or 10 - 1 the 10 would always be the reducer in my book. Dunno about the relative colour, never really thought about it. if i mixed 1 red 6 yellow i would do 70 reducer if it was a 10 - 1 ratio. Hope this helps.

Lee

The way you put it, is the way it generally is(reducer : paint), but reduction ratios are pretty irrelevant because everyone uses reductions differently the way they paint.
I usually use a mixture of transparent base and reducer. Too much reducer : paint breaks down the resins/binders in the paint and can effect adhesion. The transparent base is binder without pigment and makes the paint more transparent without reducing viscosity.

Color:
I match my color(hue), then lower the chroma(saturation), then tint(white)/tone(grey)/shade(black) as needed to achieve the proper color, then reduce it as I need it.
I almost never use colors straight from the bottle, the colors are usually too harsh for my style. Chroma in most references is never bright Red, Yellow, Blue etc., it is generally more toward grey.

Reduction:
My general rule once I have my color mixed is to add reducer until it sprays the line that I would like. It is different for every paint brand, which is why reduction ratios others mention may not apply to you.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks guys. That seems like so much reducer!

Jagardn, To lower the chroma do you use greys or a complement color? And for the tint do you mean if say a green is too bright, you add a touch of red? Is the transparent base, in airbrushing something you paint on the canvas or whatever, or something you add to the paint cup itself?

"thinner" will thin the viscosity of the paint but will take away some of the pigment which in turn make it similar to a transparent paint, and if thinned too much loses adheasion also. "transparent base" adds body, adheasion, and flow properties without losing any of the pigment(color). An opaque paint will always keep the same hue(color) that you see no matter how many coats you use but a transparent paint will darken with each layer you add so you can better control the color /hue you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back