Ready to learn

M

malcolm

Good day all. I am from South Africa. Where it seems like airbrushing isn't a common site and knowledge behind it even less. But hopefully I would get to know a couple of people here to assist me in my early stages. Started very recently. Have watched a ton of YouTube clips and have done 3 projects so far. I am a qualified electrician and do this purely as a hobby, don't have the best airbrush as I am still deciding but leaning towards the iwata hpc. Bring on the info please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Malcolm, and from another Malcolm, lol

Everything you need is here, but please do ask whatever you need to, we are all here to help you and make your journey a pleasant one.

HP C is a very good choice of brush, I'm planning one for myself when I can get the pennies together.

Thanx guys I feel welcomed. I am going to jump in on the deep end here,
I did a helmet, was silver, scuffed the silver, sprayed it a black base, and the I airbrushed some flames over it and the cleared.

Now problem time from base to clear was approximately 36hr. And I know there is only a certain time period (depends on manufacturer). So in the meantime I learnt about inter coat clear. That you spray after each color. But if I have 10 colors my paint film is going to be very thick, what is the best procedure, and is your time period between base and clear fixed and firm?

Thanx

Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Malcolm, welcome aboard!! This forum is full of information, and others will gladly help ya out!

Thanx guys I feel welcomed. I am going to jump in on the deep end here,
I did a helmet, was silver, scuffed the silver, sprayed it a black base, and the I airbrushed some flames over it and the cleared.

Now problem time from base to clear was approximately 36hr. And I know there is only a certain time period (depends on manufacturer). So in the meantime I learnt about inter coat clear. That you spray after each color. But if I have 10 colors my paint film is going to be very thick, what is the best procedure, and is your time period between base and clear fixed and firm?

Thanx

When I do a helmet, I sand it, prime, paint,..do my art work, and then clear.

So you do your art over the basecoat then? Like I did?

Yes. You can clear the helmet (if you wanted to), but then you would have to wet sand the helmet to airbrush, and then clear it again

welcome malcolm.... we have plenty of members from S.A here... so you are in good company my friend... all the knowledge you could want and some fantastic artwork to show
all the best from the u.k

Hi Malcolm, welcome from the uk, hopefully some of the guys from your part of the world can help you with the best places to get supplies etc, and the rest of us are here for all your other questions.

Welcome to the forum, there are several fellows from your part of the world here so you wont be alone. Glad you found us, hope you have a great stay.

Lee

HI Malcolm, welcome from sunny Roodepoort :)

There are a few of us here, AndreZA is the Iwata fundi, I like to promote Harder and Steenbeck, between us and all the fabulous peeps here we will get you sorted and loving it :)

welcome from honduras,hope you can call this place home as i do!!!:loyal:

Thanx guys. Actually surprised at how many people welcome the newcomers. Always a good thing. Flycatcher, thanx I joined Andre's Facebook page in hopes of learning more as I really want too learn more, but don't want to do this and make money. As soon as you link time and money to a hobby it becomes work. As soon as I am allowed to post pics I would like some constructive criticism on them as there is always room for improvement

Hi Malcolm, welcome to the forum. I totally agree with you when you say as soon as money is connected to a hobby it becomes work. I am trying to paint a picture for someone as a favour and I not only find it less fun, I also find it dispiriting. I can't wait to get it finished so I can start painting something I really want to paint. It's a hobby for me too and I'm glad I have learnt this lesson now so I don't get tempted to do commissions for people, paid or unpaid:)
Mind you, I'm sure I will be proud of the painting once it's finished :)
Cheers Mel

Hey Mel. Yes I have a guy that asked me to do his boulevard. And although I am exited about it because it will be super challenging I fear that the time factor is going to come into play with the high bar that I set for myself. Which will take the fun out of it.

rasedahe.jpg

Back