Realistic hair/fur technique - other than scratching?

Realism is in the eye of the beholder, for me personally scratching looks fantastic from a distance but up close can look horrid, traditionally hair was painted into the layering sequence and like any technique in airbrushing has been tweaked to suit different applications and sometimes that tweak takes over in every other aspect, erasing and scratching have been around in all artforms for a very long time but have become much more prevalent recently than previous techniques maybe used in a similar need, learning how to create negative as well as positive space is any visual art and those who only erase are hurting themselves and those who only paint hurt themselves, learn both, but saying that I feel painted hair looks more natural and thus realistic, but for some perhaps less photo like that scratching or erasing can achieve, soft erasing is hard to do on metal but not impossible and various techniques and chemicals can remove any amount paint you want; often on auto work, a cotton earbud and thinners are my best friend..LOL and if wanting to save myself time and cost, it is a method I will use but always prefer to paint hair, just takes longer to get looking right but both methods can get to the same end point and often you'll want to use both if going for a strong realistic look..Good luck..

Realism is in the eye of the beholder, for me personally scratching looks fantastic from a distance but up close can look horrid, traditionally hair was painted into the layering sequence and like any technique in airbrushing has been tweaked to suit different applications and sometimes that tweak takes over in every other aspect, erasing and scratching have been around in all artforms for a very long time but have become much more prevalent recently than previous techniques maybe used in a similar need, learning how to create negative as well as positive space is any visual art and those who only erase are hurting themselves and those who only paint hurt themselves, learn both, but saying that I feel painted hair looks more natural and thus realistic, but for some perhaps less photo like that scratching or erasing can achieve, soft erasing is hard to do on metal but not impossible and various techniques and chemicals can remove any amount paint you want; often on auto work, a cotton earbud and thinners are my best friend..LOL and if wanting to save myself time and cost, it is a method I will use but always prefer to paint hair, just takes longer to get looking right but both methods can get to the same end point and often you'll want to use both if going for a strong realistic look..Good luck..
What a great, full comment ...
It tells a lot to me and giving me an imagination of all the aspect...
Because of your advice I can see wider ;)
I could compare what you have said to the cyclist using his bike... There are road, terrain, acrobatic cyclists... All of them riding the bikes, but it's up to them how they use the bike to finish their journey ;) If I like road bike, it's my choice, but I need to be aware that there are other bikes too ;)
Thanks !

Yer kinda, lots of bikes around :) and most will still likely get you to the same spot or pretty darn close, some maybe faster or better but essentially the journey in this case doesn't matter, everyone getting to that destination they want is..and for that there are about 3 main roads down the hill they can take (Roads being akin to Airbrush base foundation techniques, there is only a few basic techniques essentially to successfully paint any reference every time, deviate from that technique or road you will crash, the clicking moment for many is simply realizing all they have to do is do what they did last time it worked LOL and follow that same road), some we pick may be fraught with bumps and dangerous drops but can get you there fast and maybe not so pretty, some are slow and sure coursed, but will be a slow ride no matter what bike you take, some may pick the completely wrong bike and simply not make it because of its square tyres..but yes, most will get to the same spot unless you fall of the cliff completely along the way, hair can do that for some, the fast road normally means a really big crash, a slow road, maybe not so much to recover from if you have an oopsie..Try all the methods mate, see which works for you, for me I have not once, ever, done a dagger stroke deliberately for a hair stroke (In fact I have no idea why so many deem it even practice worthy), and generally paint hair in rather than erase it out, one is a clear winner in which my eye appreciates in others works also, but that's the bike I chose LOL.

Kinda feel like going for a ride now LOL..have a few very old vids on my YT page that may help give you some idea's and techniques on hair, when you have 5 go have a squizz, may be sumfin in there that helps https://www.youtube.com/user/acekustomair

Rapid-o-graphs are indeed expensive :cry:. I purchased some that are like an introductory model (same company, less features), and were cheaper - I will have to look them up, and will come back in and edit the post with the info later on. The point sizes on the pens are indicated in terms of size by whole numbers. 1, 2, 3 etc. The smaller the point, the lower the number so they run 3, 2, 1, 0. They do not stop at zero though, so the finer ones are indicated like - 2x0, 3x0, 4x0 - the higher the number "x"0 the smaller the tip. A 3x0 is a very fine line. I have been using a 1 or a 0 for most of my stuff. While I may like to go finer, there is no guarantee the pigment of the white ink will flow through the point...
I have a leroy letter set basically the same thing I have never thought to use it for my airbrushing too LOL .

Yer kinda, lots of bikes around :) and most will still likely get you to the same spot or pretty darn close, some maybe faster or better but essentially the journey in this case doesn't matter, everyone getting to that destination they want is..and for that there are about 3 main roads down the hill they can take (Roads being akin to Airbrush base foundation techniques, there is only a few basic techniques essentially to successfully paint any reference every time, deviate from that technique or road you will crash, the clicking moment for many is simply realizing all they have to do is do what they did last time it worked LOL and follow that same road), some we pick may be fraught with bumps and dangerous drops but can get you there fast and maybe not so pretty, some are slow and sure coursed, but will be a slow ride no matter what bike you take, some may pick the completely wrong bike and simply not make it because of its square tyres..but yes, most will get to the same spot unless you fall of the cliff completely along the way, hair can do that for some, the fast road normally means a really big crash, a slow road, maybe not so much to recover from if you have an oopsie..Try all the methods mate, see which works for you, for me I have not once, ever, done a dagger stroke deliberately for a hair stroke (In fact I have no idea why so many deem it even practice worthy), and generally paint hair in rather than erase it out, one is a clear winner in which my eye appreciates in others works also, but that's the bike I chose LOL.

Kinda feel like going for a ride now LOL..have a few very old vids on my YT page that may help give you some idea's and techniques on hair, when you have 5 go have a squizz, may be sumfin in there that helps https://www.youtube.com/user/acekustomair
You did hit the spot on regarding your keen advice, as I'm motorbiker hahahaaa ;)
So all your description speaks to me very well ;)
Appreciated that !

Back