Really really newbie... I cant get my airbrush pressure right

R

Reddogwa

Hiya everyone. I got a Paasche VLSTPRO airbrush for Christmas along with a little air compressor . I have tried using Art Spectrum Ink and also Createx Opaque airbrush colours. To start off I used the Createx but thought it may have been too think and then changed to the Ink.. Anyway I can not get anything that doesnt look like a spider or a caterpiller. I have tried adjusting my pressure from around 20 psi up to 60psi and it really doesnt make a huge difference. I have tried getting close to the paper so my pinky runs on the paper and also using my other hand as the guide for the height difference. It doesnt matter. If I have the button pressed down for air the paint will still come out even if I dont have the trigger pulled back. Even though I am using black it is coming out a grey. Help please!!! I live 1200kms from the nearest city so classes arent an option.

Thanks

Holy cow Reddog - where do you live? are you in WA, Australia?
I've no idea about Paasche guns, but generally if it's spraying without pulling back for paint, then you have something stuck in your tip. you will need to undo the tip and inspect it with the needle, just gentle rubbing the needle on the inside edges of the tip.
Yes i'm talking about an airbrush.
sounds like an airbrush problem rather than a paint problem.. photos of the issue would be helpful also and feel free to intro yourself!

haha yes I am in Western Australia... Can tell you aren't an American as I always get asked if I am from Washington..lol. If you were using those paints what sort of pressure would you use?

Can you also help me out with another thing... on top of this already. My husband is now pulling it apart and telling me that I didnt clean it properly... Now I swear I have put about 2 litres of water in the damn thing and covered the front so it bubbled back. The water coming out was clear. Am I not cleaning it properly? How often do you pull apart your whole brush to clean it.

Ok so it seems there was a little bit of crap on the tip. Here are some samples before it was cleaned (sorry not a great photo)

Oh and the intro...

I live in a mining town in the north west of Western Australia, 1200kms north of Perth. I am more a papercraft person and a tiny little bit of a sewer. My husband brought me an airbrush about 5 years ago but we only had his big compressor which sat out the front of the house. I wanted to airbush out the back so had a long hose going through the house and needless to say enthusiasm for that didnt last so it was put away... This Christmas my husband surprised me with a little compressor... great I know exactly where everything is... ummm I had just done a big clean up and threw away what I thought was an empty box...nope airbrush was in there. So lovely husband bought me another one and this is where we are... Eventually I think I would like to do tshirts... not sure yet

Attachments

• airbrush 16-01-15.jpg
    airbrush 16-01-15.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 39
Welcome :)

I think you have a bit of water mixed in with the paint when you first start spraying. if the paint is grey at first when spraying then this is why. When you clean it out with water, spray out all the water. Then just before putting paint in - try spraying out the water again. When the paint is in there, hold the head and bubble the paint back into the cup like you're mixing paint. That will ensure the same consistency.

Second;
i have no idea about art spectrum, which having lived on a forum such as this for a couple of years tells me it's not a widely used paint for airbrushing, which you should avoid in most cases.
Createx is used for airbrushing, however if it is the normal createx - then this stuff is designed to be sprayed around 60 PSI and is best suited for material! like cotton, fabrics etc.
First thing i'd do is order some paints.. perhaps createx illustration paints, which are the most readily available, decent airbrush paints. a good supplier is Airbrush Megastore. I know Steve well and trust him.
In the meantime, you can practise with your createx at lower PSI (30 PSI) by over reducing your paints, around 40% water to paint or better yet if you have the dedicated reducer, then use that.
You may continue having issues with the airbrush, but as long as you can be descriptive and send pics, then we can help :D

thanks airbrushtutor.. The Art spectrum is an ink. When I was given my first airbrush my hubby and I did a trip to Perth and I did a two day course at the Fremantle Markets and the guy there suggested the ink as well as the Createx.

I did think that maybe the Createx was a bit thick. I will try it all again tomorrow and post more pictures

Appreciate your help

oh that is something... just went to Airbrush Megastore to look at the paints and I noticed that he has Createx Retarder and it says that it can be added to Createx Colors to reduce tip dry when spraying in extremely dry, humid or outdoor conditions. So I think I just got all of those conditions... I was spraying outside (dont trust myself to do it inside yet), and it was about 43 deg and dry. So would that have had anything to do with it?

thanks airbrushtutor.. The Art spectrum is an ink. When I was given my first airbrush my hubby and I did a trip to Perth and I did a two day course at the Fremantle Markets and the guy there suggested the ink as well as the Createx.

I did think that maybe the Createx was a bit thick. I will try it all again tomorrow and post more pictures

Appreciate your help

If the Createx you have is the standard version this is intended for larger nozzle sizes so if your nozzle is under 0.3 you will struggle, you can thin the paint but unfortunately not the heavy pigment it contains, an arid 45 degrees will also certainly not help.

Thanks Madbrush. My airbrush comes with a 3 needle in it also has two spares a 1 and a 5. Yes the Createx is just the standard version

Thanks Madbrush. My airbrush comes with a 3 needle in it also has two spares a 1 and a 5. Yes the Createx is just the standard version

You have more joy with your 0.5 setup, and your createx is ideally suited for fabric painting without the need for any other treatments before or after.

If you want to get into fine art get yourself some com art, Etac or stick with your ink.

Thanks for that. My long term plan is doing tshirts but not until I know what I am doing. Great I might try and change to the 5 to see if that makes any difference also

Don't forget you'll need to change the nozzle as well as the needle, putting a .5 needle into a .3 nozzle won't work without splitting the nozzle -

Hi, Reddogwa,
I'm on the other side of Oz, but have had some of the probs you have.
Art Spectrum acrylics are for hairy brush enthusiasts and their medium does not reduce it so it can succesfully be sprayed.
I tried it and got left with a horrible amount of gummed up gear.
If you could get your hands on some Daler/Rowney inks [ I started out with these ] or as Mitch suggested the Createx Illustrator paints, then it should get your flow issues sorted.
The atmosphere will play a huge part in how your respective ink / paint behaves.
If you are outside on a dry day and it's above 30 ish, the paint will dry out very rapidly and leave an amazingly small "window" for you to work it.
On humid days, the window is longer but not much.
I'd suggest you need to add some retarder to them.
This makes the paint "wet" for a longer than 'normal' time.
It slows the drying time down, leaving more time to add textures, scratching or erasing to your work.
Hope this helps and will be waiting to see more posts of future work.
Cheers,
Splasha.

Hi, Reddogwa,
Art Spectrum acrylics are for hairy brush enthusiasts and their medium does not reduce it so it can succesfully be sprayed.
I think reddog is talking about the Artist Spectrum inks, not acrylics. They do ones very similar to the Daler/Rowney inks. I have some which I used to practice with when I started out. They spray fine though an airbrush, though are a little thin, so certainly don't need any reduction. For practice they would be fine as long as the pressure is not too high.

Lol Jackeb. No well worth mentioning as the nozzle is well hidden and if it weren't for the fact that my previous airbush had the nozzle visible I wouldn't have thought about it

Hi, Reddogwa,
If you could get your hands on some Daler/Rowney inks [ I started out with these ] or as Mitch suggested the Createx Illustrator paints, then it should get your flow issues sorted.
The atmosphere will play a huge part in how your respective ink / paint behaves.
If you are outside on a dry day and it's above 30 ish, the paint will dry out very rapidly and leave an amazingly small "window" for you to work it.
On humid days, the window is longer but not much.
I'd suggest you need to add some retarder to them.
This makes the paint "wet" for a longer than 'normal' time.
It slows the drying time down, leaving more time to add textures, scratching or erasing to your work.
Hope this helps and will be waiting to see more posts of future work.
Cheers,
Splasha.

Thanks Splasha.. The Art Spectrum I am using is an ink not an acrylic.. Ok I am thinking that maybe I need to just bite the bullet and put up a sheet and spray inside... in the aircon. Everday up here from August to April is over 30 and more than likely over 40 so that doesnt leave much of a window. I will buy some retarder but with the post around here that is going to take a couple of weeks to get here.

Thanks heaps for your help

I think reddog is talking about the Artist Spectrum inks, not acrylics. They do ones very similar to the Daler/Rowney inks. I have some which I used to practice with when I started out. They spray fine though an airbrush, though are a little thin, so certainly don't need any reduction. For practice they would be fine as long as the pressure is not too high.

Thanks Supernova.... and yes that is the ink I was talking about. Glad you started using them as I was starting to wonder if I was told the right thing or not to start off with . This ink is very thin. I will try decreasing the pressure for the art spectrum ink
Thanks for your help

For the ink I would start at about 20psi and go from there,if your still getting spidering lower the pressure to 15 psi or if the spidering gone go up till it starts to spider then turn down the psi till it stops,THATS the psi the airbrush/ink likes and will work for you!

For the ink I would start at about 20psi and go from there,if your still getting spidering lower the pressure to 15 psi or if the spidering gone go up till it starts to spider then turn down the psi till it stops,THATS the psi the airbrush/ink likes and will work for you!

Thanks basepaint. Appreciate your advice

Back