Recommend a paint...

D

Decryptionally

[Solved (Com-Art)]Recommend a paint...

Alright, just ordered my sotar and krome a few days ago, now I need a paint. Will just be using on paper, going for photo realism. any recommendations? A lot of people told me wicked. Is this a good option? Thanks. Also, should I get Wicked Detail or the other just "Wicked" (If recommending wicked)?

Last edited by a moderator:
With those 2 brushes, and what you want to paint and how, the Createx Illustration line is probably more along the lines of what you want. That or the EFX from ETac.

With those 2 brushes, and what you want to paint and how, the Createx Illustration line is probably more along the lines of what you want. That or the EFX from ETac.

I'll go with that then, thanks. What kind of reducer should I use for Illustration? Would "Createx 8 Ounce Wicked W500-08 High Performance Reducer" work? Thanks again.

Since you will be using the Sotar and Krome which both have relatively fine nozzles, you may want to consider trying Com-Art paints. Their pigments are granulated finer than Createx and Com-Art paint seems to be premixed which allows artists to use it straight out the bottle. No need to add water. Adding some retarder to the paint will make it spray even better than it does without and improve adhesion to the surface that you spray on. Com-Art approaches the top quality Holbein Aeroflash paint for a considerably lower price.

I'll go with that then, thanks. What kind of reducer should I use for Illustration? Would "Createx 8 Ounce Wicked W500-08 High Performance Reducer" work? Thanks again.

Get either the W100 or W500 The W500 works better with the Illustration line .Biggest bottle they have cause you use more of it then you do paint.

There are probably as much oppinions on paint as there are airbrushers :). My advice would be go to a store and pick a bottle of the most used illustration colors (e'tac, createx illustration, golden, schmincke) and see what works best for you. You might even find that certain colors from certain brands work best for you and mix it all up a tad (I generaly use E'tac but use the white and black from createx illustration)

I would definitely try Com-Art (Comart) paints first. I only paint illustrations onto paper, card and canvas and of all the paints I have tried it is by far the easiest and best. Especially as a beginner it will help you greatly because you can concentrate on painting. You can use it straight from the bottle or just use bottled water to reduce it if needed. It is a reasonable price and offers a wide range of colours including effects.

The only thing I will say is the Com-Art Opaque White is horrible for tip-dry, the Com-Art Neutral White is better but still not great. I bought Com-Art Medium which is a Transparent Base and that helps a lot with the white but I also bought Createx Illustration White which can also be used straight from the bottle and reduced with water if needed.

You can buy Com-Art paint in Kits which are great value, set G would be a good one to start with 5 opaque and 5 transparent paints and buy a bottle of Createx Illustration White and you'll be good to go. For painting onto paper/card try Bristol Board 250gr once you've learned your dots, lines and dagger strokes on ordinary paper. For photo realism you need an erasable paint so Com-Art, Etac FX or Createx Illustration paints are the way to go but I'd start with Com-Art if I was you, it's a great paint for illustrations.
Cheers Mel

Yep, works great, the illustration reducer works well too and keeps the working time for erasing open a bit longer. The w500 will allow it to cure a bit faster and harder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wicked is a great paint, but it is an all rounder, can be used on very many different surfaces, but isn't specific to one. So if you are just going to be working on paper then maybe try the illustration line. However most of the pros seem to use Etac.

I would definitely try Com-Art (Comart) paints first. I only paint illustrations onto paper, card and canvas and of all the paints I have tried it is by far the easiest and best. Especially as a beginner it will help you greatly because you can concentrate on painting. You can use it straight from the bottle or just use bottled water to reduce it if needed. It is a reasonable price and offers a wide range of colours including effects.

The only thing I will say is the Com-Art Opaque White is horrible for tip-dry, the Com-Art Neutral White is better but still not great. I bought Com-Art Medium which is a Transparent Base and that helps a lot with the white but I also bought Createx Illustration White which can also be used straight from the bottle and reduced with water if needed.

You can buy Com-Art paint in Kits which are great value, set G would be a good one to start with 5 opaque and 5 transparent paints and buy a bottle of Createx Illustration White and you'll be good to go. For painting onto paper/card try Bristol Board 250gr once you've learned your dots, lines and dagger strokes on ordinary paper. For photo realism you need an erasable paint so Com-Art, Etac FX or Createx Illustration paints are the way to go but I'd start with Com-Art if I was you, it's a great paint for illustrations.
Cheers Mel
I may have to try out the comart that came with my brush. I do really need to get the hang of this wicked though, its slow going but each time I have a problem I just google what is happening and there is usually an answer from this forum. I think the best words I have read are "We were all there at one point making the same mistakes"

In my personal experience of over 30 years of airbrushing - commercial work with both uros (custom painting for several motorcycle organizations) and waterborne mediums, demonstrating for companies, such as Revell (Vega), Van Beek Graphic Supplies (Paasches of the goood old days, De Vilbiss of the good old days, Rotring, Grafo's etc.), Bakker Graphic Supplies (Fischer Aerostar), Badger Holland, Testor (Aztek) and some more, I can say that in my humble opinion waterbornes like Createx is too grainy (gross pigments, mediocre solvents), etac handles well but needs too many additives which requires artists to become somewhat of a chemist to use properly, Holbein Aeroflash is excellent but expensive and it sucks on hard surfaces, Rotring Acrylic Ink was exceptionally easy to spray, but not light-fast and no longer produced today, Illu Color is great for paper, t-shirts and canvas, but sucks on hard (metal and plastic) surfaces, Com-Art is reasonably priced, handles well and holds pretty good on all surfaces. For white I always used Badger's which was exceptionally good in the realm of traditionally terrible white paints. I will not begin to mention uros, since matters with these types of paint things are even more complicated.

Mind you: Pros get paid to promote a certain brand. They may be using other paints away from the media themselves or even go so far to pour their preferred mediums in the bottles of their sponsors (when conducting demos), making the uninformed and unaware public think that they are spraying a particular brand (while they're not actually...).

Last edited:
Hey peeps, please don't forget that decrypt is 12 years old and never airbrushed before. He wants to paint photo realism onto paper/card. Even though he's real brainy I would suggest we keep the advice simple :) He can always graduate onto other paints as he gets more experience.

decrypt, I wish I'd started airbrushing with Com-Art it would have made painting a lot easier in the beginning and it is specifically designed for illustration artwork. You also only need bottled or distilled water to reduce it.

I don't remember if you had a mask on your shopping list but even with water based paints you still need to wear a good filter mask or respirator to protect you from paint particles in the air.
Cheers Mel

Hey peeps, please don't forget that decrypt is 12 years old and never airbrushed before. He wants to paint photo realism onto paper/card. Even though he's real brainy I would suggest we keep the advice simple :) He can always graduate onto other paints as he gets more experience.

decrypt, I wish I'd started airbrushing with Com-Art it would have made painting a lot easier in the beginning and it is specifically designed for illustration artwork. You also only need bottled or distilled water to reduce it.

I don't remember if you had a mask on your shopping list but even with water based paints you still need to wear a good filter mask or respirator to protect you from paint particles in the air.
Cheers Mel

Thanks, not just to you but to you other folks too. Anyways, should I go with opaque or transparent for the com-art? I'm looking to get a good set with at least 16 colors in it. If you could get me a link to a good set to start with via Amazon, please do so. Thanks again! You've been a great help, as well as all you folks out there.

Edit: Does not matter how many colors actually, just hoping to get a good set. I found primary and secondary on amazon, which should I go for, Opaque or transparent?

Edit 2: Okay, Ignore that whole message besides this. I decided to go with transparent by reading about opaque and transparent paints online. What kind of reducer should I use for com-art transparent? Should I use water, or should I buy a certain type of reducer online?

Last edited by a moderator:
Transparent is an excellent choice (not just for beginning artists). Com-Art is already quite thin; you can use it straight from the bottle or reduce it with a small amount of reducer. The latter not only improves spraying, but also enhances adhesion to the surface you are working on.

Transparent is an excellent choice (not just for beginning artists). Com-Art is already quite thin; you can use it straight from the bottle or reduce it with a small amount of reducer. The latter not only improves spraying, but also enhances adhesion to the surface you are working on.

Which reducer u use with Com Art? have lot of these paint here, and i have the W100 reducer for createx Illustrator, can i use it with Com-Art or just distilled water do the job? And how Com Art paint will hold on hard surface with a polyurethane clear on it? Is they'll fade on sunlight after somes years?
Thank you

I always like to suggest to new airbrush artists that you get a set of primary transparents, both of a cool and a warm variant and also a bottle of black and white in the biggest volume you can afford..When I say cool and warm you will find in many ranges that it may have say two basic yellows, a warm yellow swaying a bit more into a darker yellow and a cool yellow which is much brighter. From these transparents you can then make your opaques by adding white, and of course most other colors of the color wheel..Its a good idea to get into color theory and mixing your own colors from day one as it is something many struggle with further down the track and if you really on pre-mixed colors and run out in between and cant get back to the store for a week or two your painting stops, if you can mix your own then your at least able to keep on painting...It doesnt really matter what brand you go for as I'm sure if you look around you'll see people using all different brands and ultimately creating similar works though it may take a cple different trys with different brands to find what best suits your needs and your setup..GL

With Com-Art you can just reduce with WATER!!! Preferably bottled water (for drinking) or distilled water (used for ironing) from the supermarket.

Com-Art do a Transparent Base called "Com-Art Medium" but you don't NEED it to reduce your paint. Com-Art transparent paints are very thin and should easily spray but if you need to reduce just use Water.

I must try com art myself some time, it does sound good. I don't do much fine art though, and wicked suits my needs for automotive as well as anything else I feel like trying, so I tend to stick to what I know, might have to give this a go though.

Back