recommend an airbrush set up for me (never used one before)

T

tr0n

Hello all, just joined the forums here. I wanted to see if anyone could recommend an airbrush and compressor for me. i mainly use them to customize munnys (do a google search, theyre 7" vinyl figures), i like cutting out eyes and pasting them onto the munnys so, just soild color is what i want. i just want a smooth, even finish. i have been wanting to customize resin model kits that are about 7" tall that will have facial details like lips and eyes. so, later on if i get good enough, id like a kit that will let me do small details. looking to spend around $300, before paints...it would be nice to go lower in price but i want a sort of intermediate level set up verses a beginners. thanks in advanced all !!

Welcome trOn. I don't know enough yet to help. but would like to give a little warning. I bought a what seems to me to be a nice compressor but as yet I have not been able to use it since it came with a hose that connects to the compressor on one end but the other end fits nothing. I also bought a Paasche air brush that came with a hose that fits the airbrush but the other end also fits nothing. It is the same as the useless end of the hose that came with the compressor. I have been to hardware stores and here they don't seem to be able to connect the National Pipe Thread (NPT) to British Standard Pipe threads (BSP) that seem to be used. So when you get your compressor and brush be sure before hand to make sure you have the right connections or adapters.

Have to agree with donec. Get more educated first.

Airbrush hoses come is different fitments. Badger brushes have their own end for the brush. Iwata style hoses fit just about everything else. You can get adapters from an airbrush supplier or the net to adapt badger to iwata and vise versa. I prefer to buy hoses with 1/4" fittings on one end and use standard 1/4" couplers to attach to my air source. This lets you disconnect the hose for storage without having to drain your air source. 1/8" airbrush quick disconnects are also highly recommended . Makes for quick brush changes down the road. Also a good way to go from badger brushes to iwata hoses. Simply buy a badger male nipple in this case and it attaches to the standard 1/8" female disconnect.

As for compressors, get one with an air tank, a cheap hardware store model will work, they are just a bit loud. For doing t shirts and anything where you need higher pressures they are great. If you need something quieter and can spend more look into a GMC syclone or California Air Tools model, they are fairly quiet but not silent, and way quieter than a standard small compressor. Always use a regulator/ moisture trap to prevent water from getting to your brush. It is advisable to run them at least 18" from your air source, this allows the air to cool and condense any water so it can be removed.

Airbrushes are almost a personal thing. Get a good name brand. Badger, Iwata, Paasche. In the US if near a Michaels or Hobby Lobby look on line for coupons. Or buy off the net, Coast Airbrush is a great one for info, call them and they can help you out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1/8" airbrush quick disconnects are also highly recommended . Makes for quick brush changes down the road. Also a good way to go from badger brushes to iwata hoses. Simply buy a badger male nipple in this case and it attaches to the standard 1/8" female disconnect.
So the female side of the quick disconnect is the same for all the different type of brushes that have a quick disconnect male nipple correct?

So the female side of the quick disconnect is the same for all the different type of brushes that have a quick disconnect male nipple correct?

You are correct...here is a pic of my hp-ch and my anthem side by side. The nipple size is the same just the threaded part is different.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373301417.477210.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373301417.477210.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 11
Here's a pic of my regulator and manifold set up. In the pic the hose ends are 1/8" BSP, it is also a straight cut thread, with a 1/8"BSP pipe die and using it both directions over one end of an 1/8" npt nipple, you can retread one end so it is correct for AB hoses. You see the 1/4 couplers and the moisture traps and female quick disconnects as well. Yes some QDs have a Mac valve built in for more air control. The pic will probably show sideways , so oh well. But you get the idea.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373301814.906015.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1373301814.906015.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 17
You are correct...here is a pic of my hp-ch and my anthem side by side. The nipple size is the same just the threaded part is different.

Thanks that will make things easier.

Back