reducer reccipe ???? do I use

T

towniceman

I have been researching how to reduce my paints , and am becoming quite confused|||
here's why....some people say just use distilled water some say use regular water some say use alchol and others say use windex and then I found a reducer recipe do I use it

Here it is
1 cup rubbing alchol
4 cups water
1 cup glass cleaner
5 drops glycerine

seems like alot of work to reduce your paint what is easiest and when reducing water based paint they should be the consistancy of skim milk is this correct , there are alot of opinions out there,a advise about what u use would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi . I can't help cause I'm at the same situation as u are. Do u want a reducer so they will be more airbrush friendly or do u want to make them more transparent ?

I have been told its a good idea to reduce your paint to reduce cloggging of the gun nozzle and the paint is easier to apply.

The recipe you have is good except one thing....do Not use "rubbing alcohol" you should use "denatured alcohol" from any hardware store. here is a link to a great recipe and is what I use when I don't use the brand of reducer for paint. Homemade Reducer

Thanks shadow 2462 I will pick up what I need and give it a go.

Or you could just buy the recommended reducer from the paint manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have been researching how to reduce my paints , and am becoming quite confused|||
here's why....some people say just use distilled water some say use regular water some say use alchol and others say use windex and then I found a reducer recipe do I use it

Here it is
1 cup rubbing alchol
4 cups water
1 cup glass cleaner
5 drops glycerine

seems like alot of work to reduce your paint what is easiest and when reducing water based paint they should be the consistancy of skim milk is this correct , there are alot of opinions out there,a advise about what u use would be great.

leave the glass cleaner for the glass
75% water 25% alcohol and 1 drop of glycerin per ounce mixed..
I can not remember how many times I have given this out. but it has been a lot ...
so 8 ounce bottle you will mix 6 ounces water to 2 ounces alcohol (denatured is what I use) and 8 drops of glycerin.
That is all you need Plus you never ever shoot rubbing alcohol it is deadly...
and the glass cleaner has other stuff you really do not want in you paint and you are just adding extra alcohol.

Thanks Mr Micron you are a wealth of knowledge , glad I joined this board you guys here have been so helpful and welcoming ...awesome

Or you could just buy the recommended reducer from the paint manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah, I tried cheeping out when I first started too, but now I use nothing but the recommended reducer.

That is all you need Plus you never ever shoot rubbing alcohol it is deadly...
and the glass cleaner has other stuff you really do not want in you paint and you are just adding extra alcohol.

Thanks Micron,...I did not know that.

Loren

Yeah, I tried cheeping out when I first started too, but now I use nothing but the recommended reducer.

I wouldn't say I'm cheaping out I saw this on the internet and was curious .
I am new to this medium and want to learn the right from wrong so it is easier to learn to airbrush.
I only joined this forum yesterday and have already learnt alot thanks to experiences of other people on this board/forum .
Im here to learn and improve my skills and be a help if I can ,thanks for all the help so far .

I wouldn't say I'm cheaping out I saw this on the internet and was curious .
I am new to this medium and want to learn the right from wrong so it is easier to learn to airbrush.
I only joined this forum yesterday and have already learnt alot thanks to experiences of other people on this board/forum .
Im here to learn and improve my skills and be a help if I can ,thanks for all the help so far .

When I am just doing something to either learn something new or just for fun I use my home brew. But if it is something I am being paid for I use the reducer that the paint MFG makes.

Back