reducing?

T

thematrixiam

Hey guys I'm a N008 here. I've got one 'createx' paint, and a whole bunch of 'com-art' paint... just wondering what your guys thoughts are on reducing/thinning paint? what to use, house hold products, etc.

thanks in advance

Only thing I ever recommend beside the reducer made by the MFG is 75% water 25% Denatured alcohol and 1 drop per ounce of Glycerin.
Standard Createx is made for Textiles only and is not light fast which means it will fade in direct sunlight.
But for practicing and textiles it is a great paint.
But other things we would have to know before offering reduction ideals is what airbrush are you using?
What size nozzle/needle set up are you using in it?
and what compressor (tankless or tank ) are you using and at what air pressure?

I know lots of question for something that seems like a simple question.

Most time com-art I never have to reduce I just use it straight out the bottle.

I have the iwata eclipse hp-cs.
it comes with a .35mm nozzle/needle.
I'm using a mastercraft compressor 8 gallon 2 horsepower. running at roughly 20 psi. I need to get a second regulator that can show me more correctly what pressure I'm working at. My tank regulator goes up by 40, so that's not the greatest read.

I noticed the createx was much thicker than the com-art. I seemed to get caught until I hit the right pressure level and then it would just burst out a splatter of paint... Keep in mind this is my first time using an airbrush, so I'm not quite used to everything yet.

Try running your pressure at 30-40 psi. Is it createx paint or wicked or auto air or createx illustration? If its basic createx, try thinning it with water like 4 parts water to 1 part paint. That should get you spraying at 30-40 consistently. A lower pressure will need more water to the mix . Maybe as much as 8:1 say at 15-20 psi . Learning paint reduction to pressure relationships are part of the curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay on the Createx reduce it at least 6 drops reducer to 1 drop paint. Yes it is thin but Createx is thick for a reason.
Run your compressor at 25 to 30 PSI.
You may find that you have to reduce even more depending on the color of paint IE ... White will require more reduction in general .

On the com-art at 20 to 25 PSI you should not have to reduce at all.
You may also want to order some Airbrush Restorer (made by createx and can be bought from Coast Airbrush which you can find listed on this page Coast Airbrush Products
only soak the Nozzle and needle in this stuff , But it is also reusable (My 4 ounce bottle has been cutting through dried paint for over 5 years) just filter it back into the bottle when done using.

Hey guys, it's been a year on the month since I joined this forum and started airbrushing. It's been a blast. I wanted to jump in this thread because this is literally the one thing I still struggle with. I have an iwata revolution cr, use basic creatix and reduce everywhere between 5-1 all the way up to 20-1. My pressure is always around 20, anything higher I seem to lose control with too much paint for tight work. Too thick I tip dry like crazy, too thin my paint skates all over. One thing that hit me recently was room temp. My shop is set up in the basement and has been around 62 fahrenheit. Is that a big problem by chance or do I just need to work more finding that sweet spot? I've tried different surfaces from aluminum, different artist paper with differnt weights etc... When I watch videos of people getting really close with such fine detail I think how in the world is that possible. I am thinking it just boils down to my trigger control but after doing a lot of different work I am a little confused.

I am thinking it just boils down to my trigger control

Likely not, read Herb/Microns post, Createx is a textile paint first and foremost, rarely good for much else though peeps no doubt will disagree..unless painting tshirts stay away from the stuff for fine art, get one of the numerous other brands and likely you will see huge improvement..It just ain't made for that purpose but is great at high pressures and big nozzle work for blasting the paint hard into textiles..

Hey guys, it's been a year on the month since I joined this forum and started airbrushing. It's been a blast. I wanted to jump in this thread because this is literally the one thing I still struggle with. I have an iwata revolution cr, use basic creatix and reduce everywhere between 5-1 all the way up to 20-1. My pressure is always around 20, anything higher I seem to lose control with too much paint for tight work. Too thick I tip dry like crazy, too thin my paint skates all over. One thing that hit me recently was room temp. My shop is set up in the basement and has been around 62 fahrenheit. Is that a big problem by chance or do I just need to work more finding that sweet spot? I've tried different surfaces from aluminum, different artist paper with differnt weights etc... When I watch videos of people getting really close with such fine detail I think how in the world is that possible. I am thinking it just boils down to my trigger control but after doing a lot of different work I am a little confused.

You in KCM , Go back to hobby lobby and buy some WICKED and the W500 (they carry them now)
You can not shoot standard at 20 PSI and expect it to shoot no matter how much you reduce it.
Bump up you pressure to 30-35 PSI,
Now ask yourself one question you leave out when thinking about this ,. On the videos you are watching what paint are the artist using?
Standard Createx NOPE Wicked , Createx Illustration, HOK, Etac, Comart that is what they use. unless you are watching t-shirt videos.
give it a go and let me know when you have tries the Wicked with the W500 30 psi 1 drop paint 3 drops W500 and tell me if you notice a difference..:D I am sure you will.

Thanks guys for your quick response. That all makes sense, I guess I never really paid attention to what guys were using. I hear a lot about House of Kolor. I did pick up some Wicked and the the w500 so I'll give it a go this weekend. I have tried spectra as well which seems to be a little better than createx.

I continue to work on the worksheets that AT provides which has helped a ton. Really working on getting a steady hand which has been a huge challenge. Attached is the latest one I am most proud of but a lot of it was stencil work as well. I did this one on the side of my sons PC. I keep pushing forward and try not to get discouraged when I see so many amazing videos. I know most guys have been doing this for many many years. Thanks again for the advice.
;)
pc eagle.jpg

Thanks guys for your quick response. That all makes sense, I guess I never really paid attention to what guys were using. I hear a lot about House of Kolor. I did pick up some Wicked and the the w500 so I'll give it a go this weekend. I have tried spectra as well which seems to be a little better than createx.

I continue to work on the worksheets that AT provides which has helped a ton. Really working on getting a steady hand which has been a huge challenge. Attached is the latest one I am most proud of but a lot of it was stencil work as well. I did this one on the side of my sons PC. I keep pushing forward and try not to get discouraged when I see so many amazing videos. I know most guys have been doing this for many many years. Thanks again for the advice.
;)
View attachment 25587

That is a great piece .

Hi from the UK! Lots of friendly peeps ready to help out here, and seems like you got helped out already. Just to add my 2 cents - I have this gun and use Wicked paints. I run at around 3 drops reducer to 1 paint at 20 PSI, BUT, this is just my basic starting place, and I adjust as needed from here depending on weather, colour used, amount of detail needed amonst other things.

Also, you might be interested in this friendly little comp for newbies - "Race for the Face" Newbie challenge .. You have to choose a ref, piant a pic, show progress pics, and say what you did. The end pic isn't as important as how you progress and learn. Hopefuly you guys can help each other out along the way, while more experienced people chip in with advice. Hope you give it a try.

Back