Reference image sites

Jimmyfingerz

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello
Been a while since i’ve asked a question :)

Reference image sites, who’s is everyones favourite.
I’ve got a few like shutterstock, deposit images.
I’m looking for a site where you get a licence to sell your paintings.
Shutterstock is quite expensive but from what I can tell has very good selection of images.
I’m going to buy a pack from there as practice paintings not to sell but just for future reference it would be nice to know where to go for the good licences without having to spend a fortune as i’m not going to charge a lot for my paintings.
Also i was advised to use a photgraphy app and ask the photographers if I can use there images, i’ve messaged about 10 and haven’t had anything back.
Any oppinions would be appreciated :)

There are some nice Facebook groups where photographers donate pictures to artists. I mainly use unsplash.com. Very good pictures and a good database already.

Ok thanks bud, have you got any of the facebook groups off the top of your head i could join?

Last edited:
devianart is not bad. If you ask artist for permission, usualy they give it. They wonna see picture of the finished ''product'' or sometimes they wanna credit.

Don't know if this can help you guys with airbrushing, but you can find crazy good stuff on deviantart
https://www.deviantart.com/panjoool/art/Symphony-767702687

gladiator___battle_arena_by_panjoool-dc5xuaz.jpg

war_by_panjoool-dbv781o.jpg

Last edited:
I actually prefer stock photo sites such as alamy or istockphoto. Their pictures are watermarked for non-members / non-payers (such as myself), but it doesn't really matter. You can download smaller versions of the pictures you want, with a watermark, but still at a reasonable size. What matters is to have a real photo as a real reference, to be able to study form, values, and light. And, yes, DeviantArt is another good source.

Ok thanks bud, have you got any of the facebook groups off the top of your head i could join?
"Photos for artists" for example. There are some rules to follow, but after you are free to use the picture also for your own use. Also unsplash is royalty free. Don't forget wallpapers, deviant art, shutterstock are good for studies and personal training, but if you want to use it you need permission/rights.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

"Photos for artists" for example. There are some rules to follow, but after you are free to use the picture also for your own use. Also unsplash is royalty free. Don't forget wallpapers, deviant art, shutterstock are good for studies and personal training, but if you want to use it you need permission/rights.

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk
Thanks bud

A royalty free site I have used is Pixabay.com, got some good pics on there.

Lee
Thanks Lee

Back