Paint clean up problem

B

barry o'hagan

I'm new to this but my number one problem so far is that I can't seem to completely clean all the paint off when I use Testors water base Pearl or any of the silver. Does anybody know any tricks or solvents that do this, I always have a r\large amount of residue left on the bowl and the whole inside. I have to completely break down the gun and do a complete cleaning and it still has junk on it. There has to be someone who figured out how to remove this product, it's water based. Thank you.

Moderator edit: Some more information copies from a second post.
"I need to understand why I' m having trouble cleaning out the brush with Testers/azac water based paint The Pearl and Silver are my problem. If I use acetone it will break down the O rings,which are where?

I 'm using a Master S62."

Last edited by a moderator:
First what airbrush are you using?
Next acetone should take it all out but you do not want any rubber parts exposed to it.

and once that's done pop along to the intro section and say Hi! Where are you from? What do you paint? Gear you use? What got you into AB? Cheers Mark

OK so what are you doing to clean it out? What is the process you use? How long do you leave the paint in the bowl prior to cleaning?

OK so what are you doing to clean it out? What is the process you use? How long do you leave the paint in the bowl prior to cleaning?
I know ,I just sometimes get frustrated.So what I do is leave it in maybe 2-3 minutes then I wash with clean water maybe Ttwice then wash with solution and the brush still doesn't work right.Of course I was probably somewhat negligent with the way I treated the needle / tip so it always clogged
I really am a beginner with the only desire to paint great looking and useful ocean lures.
Can you give me guidance so I'm not so frustrated.
Barry

Mister M you asked what type of gun I am using a Master S62.I've learned that it's a low-end device with not much of a following.My needs are not to great since will be using it to paint wooden salt water lures.Again my problem is that I've had problems getting paint residue from the bowl and tip and inside the gun.The pant that's giving me the problem is a water base Testors Azek purl and metallic silver.You said I could try Acetone, but not were O rings are .Don't all g0uns have O rings and wo0uld I be spending all my ti0me cleaning instead of airbrushing.I thought you might have some secret solution that you know that could just flush it out. Right now I fill the bowl twice and run the gun then wash with cleaning solution and still it's a mess and I end up breaking the whole gun down and hope it will spray. Can you help?

If I have paint in the cup that won't go I use 2k thinners or a solvent of some sort and a small stiff paintbrush. Fill the cup, use the brush to clean off the paint and tip it out, clean with a soft cloth or paper towel, Don't spray it. Do that until the cup is clean then spray some thinners through until it sprays clean. See if that works. I have never failed with this solution.

Lee

Mister M you asked what type of gun I am using a Master S62.I've learned that it's a low-end device with not much of a following.My needs are not to great since will be using it to paint wooden salt water lures.Again my problem is that I've had problems getting paint residue from the bowl and tip and inside the gun.The pant that's giving me the problem is a water base Testors Azek purl and metallic silver.You said I could try Acetone, but not were O rings are .Don't all g0uns have O rings and wo0uld I be spending all my ti0me cleaning instead of airbrushing.I thought you might have some secret solution that you know that could just flush it out. Right now I fill the bowl twice and run the gun then wash with cleaning solution and still it's a mess and I end up breaking the whole gun down and hope it will spray. Can you help?
if the airbrush is in one piece as in spraying , Just add some in the bowl use a small paint brush to work it in all the areas that paint is staying. Back flush it a few time then dump it out, Do not spray it as as it may still leave residue .
You might also check into Wicked Brand as they too make a pearl and metallic ,
Nothing wrong with a Masters a lot of folks use them as they are an affordable way to get into airbrushing.
Yes all airbrushes do have o-rings but some are teflon and some are rubber. Teflon ones can handle solvent paints and even acetone with out issue rubber tends to swell causing more issues if you soak it as in a deep cleaning.

Welcome to the forum. Just to get it out of the way, I have quite a few Master, or generic branded import brushes, and they can be a blessing, or a curse ;). For the most part I feel like they work well enough to be more than just dismissed as a tool to get the job done. I have used some of them to do some very satisfying work, so no judgement here!

That out of the way - I will say my experience with Testors water soluble paints has me thinking they are a bit strange. It is like water does not really dissolve them, but causes them to break down somewhat. In the S62, what I would do is empty the jar of all the paint and spray any remaining paint out of the brush itself. Add a small amount of lacquer thinner, and use a small brush to swish it around in the jar to clean all remaining paint from the inside of the jar. Dump, and add a little more lacquer thinner to the jar, and spray a small bit through the brush, then block the front of the brush to back flush a little, and repeat a few times. Dump the lacquer thinner out, and follow with water to repeat the process. I have done this for years in various airbrushes with no ill effects when using solvent based paints. You o not want to breath any of the spray, so make sure you use a mask, and have good ventilation.

Your next chore may be investigating other brands of paint that might be more airbrush friendly. You are using pearls, which I am not very familiar with, so will leave those suggestions up to others more versed in their use.

Welcome to the forum. Just to get it out of the way, I have quite a few Master, or generic branded import brushes, and they can be a blessing, or a curse ;). For the most part I feel like they work well enough to be more than just dismissed as a tool to get the job done. I have used some of them to do some very satisfying work, so no judgement here!

That out of the way - I will say my experience with Testors water soluble paints has me thinking they are a bit strange. It is like water does not really dissolve them, but causes them to break down somewhat. In the S62, what I would do is empty the jar of all the paint and spray any remaining paint out of the brush itself. Add a small amount of lacquer thinner, and use a small brush to swish it around in the jar to clean all remaining paint from the inside of the jar. Dump, and add a little more lacquer thinner to the jar, and spray a small bit through the brush, then block the front of the brush to back flush a little, and repeat a few times. Dump the lacquer thinner out, and follow with water to repeat the process. I have done this for years in various airbrushes with no ill effects when using solvent based paints. You o not want to breath any of the spray, so make sure you use a mask, and have good ventilation.

Your next chore may be investigating other brands of paint that might be more airbrush friendly. You are using pearls, which I am not very familiar with, so will leave those suggestions up to others more versed in their use.

Back