Repairing scratches on helmet?

I completely agree with oddball. I think it's important for anyone painting a helmet to have a signed form from the customer stating that the helmet will only be used for decorative purposes.
There is no way original manufacturers will guarantee (provide their warranty for) a paint job even if it's done correctly - especially helmet repair!

I agree - these days, everything and anything will void the mfgs. Warranty. I'm a biker and personally don't leave the driveway without a helmet. We don't have a "helmet law" here, so if someone chooses to ride with an unsafe helmet, is that better than no helmet? I like the signed release thing...

Oh my Lord!! Those are bigger then tiny scratches!! Practice helmet yes. I would not that on my brain bucket thats for sure!! If the customer is gonna wear it for protection, I would in your receipt, put in so many words, that you are not responsible for the protection of the repaired helmet, and have them sign it.

I have just started to respray my DH helmet. I sanded it down and gradually moved up the grit level until it was nice and smooth. Once I primed it and smoothed it over again with 800, I started to spray it. But once the paint started to dry I noticed loads of scratches in the primer coat. Should I sand it right back down to the base and start again or can I just sand it don from where I am until it is smooth again?

If the scratches are only in the primer coat, then repairing the primer coat is the answer.
If the scratches are deeper than that you'll have to go down deeper to repair the surface, otherwise they'll show up in the finish.

Helmets a disposable item one smack only unless you send it back to the manufacturer for inspection. What did you prime it with what paint system are you using?

Back