Resin figure modeler...

Crabcar

Young Tutorling
Hello forum.
What to say? I'm from Milwaukee, WI, and at the very earliest stage of beginning to airbrush, here looking for as much knowledge as I can soak up. I'm building resin figure and mech kits of various styles from Japan.
Gear so far:
CAT 2010A 1 HP 2 Gal. Compressor
TCP spray booth (w/ lighting, turntable, 5.5 ft. exhaust hose)
5 ft folding table
Pin vise
Magnifying glass w/ clamps

Buying this month:
Iwata HP-C+
Moisture trap for compressor
Cleaning station/ab holder, cleaning brushes, cleaning liquid (Iwata)
Paints (likely Tamiya, Mr. Color, and Vallejo Model Color paints...still have to learn more about which paints will give the best results with the least trouble.
Various other tools and accessories.
AND.........(this is the part I need immediate help with) a cheaper, serviceable airbrush I can practice breaking down and cleaning with, to prepare me for properly caring for my Iwata. Is there a brush like that? I figure it may also come in handy later if I want to paint with things I don't want messing up the HP-C+.
To clarify, I'm asking if there's a brush that's typically under $100, which is somewhat similar to the other brush I'm buying, and isn't complete trash. Something I can still use later as a support brush, and will teach me what I need to know so I won't kill the more expensive brush. (I've been wanting the Iwata for years.) Thanks for any advice anyone can provide.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Crabcar, if you are buying the iwata HP-C+ you won't actually need to bother buying a cheap brush to practice maintenance in, for one thing there will be slight differences between them, and you'll find that your iwata is relatively easy to maintain, certainly easier than a cheapy, if you are still waiting for your iwata to arrive, go to Google images and search for a schematic for the model you are buying, that way you can familiarise with all the parts and terminology and such, when your brush dies arrive just hit us up here with anything you are not sure of, your choice if brush is a goid one especially for what you intend to do with it, so don't bother with any other brush unless later you need something for other disciplines, for example if you need super fine detail or want to blast large areas, but the HP-C+ is a tried and tested good all rounder.

Malky, I think I'll take that advice. Setting up a first hobby studio area in my small apartment is expensive enough already...I'll just go straight for the brush I really want. Thank you!

Last edited:
Malky has hit you with great advice as usual. Many of us had cheap brushes to start with and in hindsight it proved that they're more miss than hit. Mine was a miss, I spent more time cleaning it than painting with it because I thought it was dirty. Once I upgraded it was full steam ahead. The Eclipses are great workhorses and you won't regret it.
When you do tear it down, and you will, just make sure that you put something like a towel on the table so things don't roll away into some black hole. Have the schematic in front of you and lay the bits out as per the picture, it will make reassembly that much easier. You won't need to remove the needle packing screw so don't be tempted (the diagram will explain where that is)

Good luck and happy airbrushing

Malky, I think I'll take that advice. Setting up a first hobby studio area in my small apartment is expensive enough already...I'll just go straight for the brush I really want. Thank you!

No problem C. You've come to the right place for all the advice, tips and tricks you'll ever need, we won't have throwing away cash in stuff you just don't need, save it for the more important items, even a $20 cheapy amounts to a couple of bottles if paint, the iwata HP-C is the brush most recommended for beginners because of its ease if use and maintenance so you made the right choice.

I forgot to mention that while you are waiting for your gear and getting set-up in your work area don't be afraid to keep your questions coming, learn as much as you can so that you'll be prepared and ready to go when your gear does come.

Bear in mind when you get started you will spend some time getting to know your brush so practice will be the key and obviously you won't dive in head first into important and possibly valuable projects :)

Exactly what others have said. For paint, any of those lines are great. Go with what's easiest to get. If you do go with Gunze, try and get the Mr. Color Leveling Thinner. It's really good and has some additives that fight tip dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I forgot to mention that while you are waiting for your gear and getting set-up in your work area don't be afraid to keep your questions coming, learn as much as you can so that you'll be prepared and ready to go when your gear does come.

Noted! I can see already that this will prove to be an excellent, helpful place for me.

Back