For Every Airbrush Artist!

Ready to get involved? Register for free and you won't see any google advertising!

Register

resin-load?

Discussion in 'Paints' started by huskystafford, Nov 16, 2019.

1. huskystafford

huskystafford Needle chucking Ninja Staff Member Admin Very Likeable!

What exactly is resin load?

Generally, Wicked Colors may be reduced in much greater amounts (up to 100% per volume) compared with Createx Airbrush Colors which are not recommended for reduction past 25% per volume to maintain an adequate resin-load.If reducing Createx Airbrush Colors past 25% per volume, adding 5601 Createx Transparent Base into the mix maintains a proper resin lo

resin
    noun
    To save this word, you'll need to log in.
    res·in | \ ˈre-zᵊn
    \
    Definition of resin
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1a : any of various solid or semisolid amorphous fusible flammable natural organic substances that are usually transparent or translucent and yellowish to brown, are formed especially in plant secretions, are soluble in organic solvents (such as ether) but not in water, are electrical nonconductors, and are used chiefly in varnishes, printing inks, plastics, and sizes and in medicine
    b : rosin
    2a : any of a large class of synthetic products that have some of the physical properties of natural resins but are different chemically and are used chiefly in plastics
    b : any of various products made from a natural resin or a natural polymer

What I am interested is what exactly happens if you go over 25% and you have less resin load then recommended? Paints sticks less?
    jord001 likes this.
  2. markjthomson

markjthomson AKA QuickDraw and very happy #nobrushleftbehind Staff Member Admin

So this is getting to "what paint is made from". My understanding it the paint is made from 3 things. A carrier (resin), a pigment and a thinner. When we use it, we can then adjust the viscosity with reducers. The transparent base is (as I understand) the resin and thinner paint without the pigment. Part of the job of the resin is to hold the pigment in the correct suspension. Over reduced paint would likely separate when applied. I suspect you will find it becomes "splotchy"
    jord001 and huskystafford like this.
  3. huskystafford

what is suspension? :D

suspension
    something that is suspended or hung; temporary withholding of a privilege: I got a suspension for yelling at the teacher.; decision, etc.; interruption, discontinuance, abeyance
    Not to be confused with:
    suspicion – the act of suspecting; doubt, mistrust, misgiving: I have a suspicion that she isn’t being truthful.
    Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
    pause.
    b. A temporary prohibition or exclusion, as from attending school or enjoying a privilege, especially as a punishment.
    c. A postponement, as of a judgment, opinion, or decision.
    2. Music
    a. The prolongation of one or more tones of a chord into a following chord to create a temporary dissonance.
    b. The tone or tones so prolonged.
    3. A device from which a mechanical part is suspended.
    4. The system of springs and other devices that insulates the chassis of a vehicle from shocks transmitted through the wheels.
    5. Chemistry A system in which minute particles are dispersed throughout a fluid from which they are easily filtered but not easily settled because of system viscosity or molecular interactions.
    American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
    suspension
    (səˈspɛnʃən)
    n
    1. an interruption or temporary revocation: the suspension of a law.
    2. a temporary debarment, as from position, privilege, etc
    3. a deferment, esp of a decision, judgment, etc
    4. (Law) law
    a. a postponement of execution of a sentence or the deferring of a judgment, etc
    b. a temporary extinguishment of a right or title
    5. (Banking & Finance) cessation of payment of business debts, esp as a result of insolvency
    6. the act of suspending or the state of being suspended
    7. (Automotive Engineering) a system of springs, shock absorbers, etc, that supports the body of a wheeled or tracked vehicle and insulates it and its occupants from shocks transmitted by the wheels. See also hydraulic suspension
    8. (General Physics) a device or structure, usually a wire or spring, that serves to suspend or support something, such as the pendulum of a clock
    9. (Chemistry) chem a dispersion of fine solid or liquid particles in a fluid, the particles being supported by buoyancy. See also colloid
    10. (Physical Geography) the process by which eroded particles of rock are transported in a river
    11. (Music, other) music one or more notes of a chord that are prolonged until a subsequent chord is sounded, usually to form a dissonance
    Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
    sus•pen•sion
    (səˈspɛn ʃən)

n.
    1. the act of suspending.
    2. the state of being suspended.
    3. temporary abrogation, as of a law or rule.
    4. temporary withholding, as of a decision or belief.
    5. temporary debarring, as from an office, school, or privilege.
    6. stoppage of payment of debts or claims because of financial inability or insolvency.
    a.
    a state in which the particles of a chemical substance are mixed with a fluid but are undissolved.
    b. a substance in such a state.
    c. a system consisting of small particles kept dispersed by agitation or by the molecular motion of the medium.
    8. something on or by which something else is suspended or hung.
    9. something that is suspended or hung.
    10. Also called suspen′sion sys`tem. the arrangement of springs, shock absorbers, etc., in a vehicle, connecting the wheel-suspension units or axles to the chassis frame.
    a.
    the prolongation of a musical tone in one chord into the following chord, usu. producing a temporary dissonance.
    b. the tone so prolonged.
    [1520–30; < Latin suspēnsiō=suspend(ere) (see suspend) + -tiō -tion]
    Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
    sus·pen·sion
    (sə-spĕn′shən)
    A mixture in which small particles of a substance are dispersed throughout a gas or liquid. If left undisturbed, the particles are likely to settle to the bottom. The particles in a suspension are larger than those in either a colloid or a solution. Muddy water is an example of a suspension. Compare colloid, solution.
    The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
    suspension
    A type of dispersion in which small solid particles are dispersed in a liquid or gas.
    Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
    jord001 likes this.
  4. huskystafford

What is Splotchy? :)

splotch
    (splŏch)
    n.
    An irregularly shaped spot, stain, or colored area.
    tr.v. splotched, splotch·ing, splotch·es
    To mark with splotches or a splotch.
    [Perhaps blend of spot, blot and botch.]
    splotch′i·ness n.
    splotch′y adj.
    American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
    splotch•y
    (ˈsplɒtʃ i)

adj. splotch•i•er, splotch•i•est.
    marked or covered with splotches.

Sorry Mark but sometimes you use words which have like 20 different meanings. -.-

Is this what you meant? : An irregularly shaped spot, stain, or colored area.
    jord001 and markjthomson like this.
  5. markjthomson

This one... a. a state in which the particles of a chemical substance are mixed with a fluid but are undissolved.

or

(Chemistry) chem a dispersion of fine solid or liquid particles in a fluid, the particles being supported by buoyancy. See also colloid

or

A type of dispersion in which small solid particles are dispersed in a liquid or gas.
  6. markjthomson

This one... An irregularly shaped spot, stain, or colored area.
  7. huskystafford

Thank you Mark, you helped with my confusion.
    jord001, SiRoxx and markjthomson like this.
  8. markjthomson

jord001, SiRoxx and huskystafford like this.
  9. huskystafford

Omg I hate chemistry...

Gonna read true this in the evening. I don't have guts to start with this right now. I need to prepare my self :laugh:
  10. markjthomson

lol... this stuff gets together with that stuff... magic happens...
  11. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Resin makes it sticky to iITSELF as well as other things. So, when you thin a paint too far not only do you limit the ability to stick to surfaces, you also inhibit it’s ability to stick together. IE the paint breaks apart.
    huskystafford, HellBird and jord001 like this.
  12. jord001

jord001 Air-Valve Autobot!

Exactly..

When you thin paint too much it stops sticking to the surface and the colour (pigment) also loses it stickyness and breaks apart.
    And that's when you need to add transparent base (paint without colour pigment) (for wicked I think its 4004) to keep the pigment stuck together and to enable the paint to stick to what your painting on.

Lee
    huskystafford and HellBird like this.
  13. LadyCharlie

LadyCharlie Love this place! Forum Supporter Very Likeable!

I'm assuming if you over reduce your paint you are compromising the integrity of the archivalness (is that a word??) of the painting........yes? no?
    jord001 likes this.
  14. huskystafford

That is the info I was looking for. And then we have Mark, trying to torture me with chemistry. Mark if I would be next to you, I would put salt in your cup of coffee when you wouldn't pay attention :laugh:
  15. huskystafford

Quote from other site for forum members. I learned a new word.

To be archival or not?

The issue of archivalness comes up frequently when creating art, and I’m a HUGE proponent of using only the best archival (a term that suggests that the material or product is permanent, durable, chemically stable, and will last the test of time) materials that you can afford.

Archivalness is a complicated topic and has become a hot topic in today’s art world. The term is vague at best (a material of suitable quality to be used in the archives), but generally used to imply quality. To be archival the material should be acid-free, but not all professional art materials are acid-free. So, what gives?
    jord001 likes this.
  16. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

Possibly, ultimately the pigments have a lightfast rating, and the pigments are dispersed in whatever method they will retain their ability to resist fading.
    Now it could be the paint pulls from the surface over time, or begins cracking. But in all honesty I would not expect it if it is not evident early on. There is no doubt the ability of the paint to adhere will be compromised with too much thinning, but this may depend somewhat on the surface used.
    Paint applied to absorbent surfaces like papers, likely will never lift off or detach, but they may fade faster if the amount of pigment is much thinner.
    But archival quality is a topic rarely talked about by airbrush artists. And it seems few know or care enough to consider the complications that may arise.

Despite the fact I use a lot of createx products, I still maintain it is bullstoole they do not do lightfast ratings. Terms like “finest lightfast pigments” are absolutely marketing meaningless words. They know what a blue wool scale or astm rating is... and should do the testing to provide such. With that said, Aside from Holbein and Golden I can’t think of an airbrush paint manufacturer that does it.
  17. Nada

Nada Air-Valve Autobot!

as above I touched on this, IF you are chosen to display in some galleries, you may be asked to provide proof of archival quality materials, As well as documentation as to such. This is to protect the galleries reputation to not get a phone call asking why the red rose is now pink 3 5 or 10 years later. But that’s really only likely to ever come up in very pricey galleries. And they do in fact make exceptions... I mean they sell Banksy art, and pretty much anyone could tell you it’s kind of crap. It has a value as street art, it has a value even on a wall, but it definitely is not high quality work.
  18. markjthomson

Nothing wrong with salt in coffee... you should see the amount I put in my water alone... :)
  19. huskystafford

lol
    jord001 likes this.