Restoring paint jars

tatocorvette

Mac-Valve Maestro!
Hello,

As explained elsewhere, I've never claimed to be normal :)
Paint jars are cheap. So why bother with old rusty ones? Refer to the opening statement.

These 2 jars have seen better days. But glass jars are great. Why not refresh them?
2v2eciQiqxJ21ND.jpg

2v2eciSG5xJ21ND.jpg

The bigger jar still has the siphon tube and a worn cork washer. This must be a few decades old.
2v2eciQDFxJ21ND.jpg

The smaller jar, well...
2v2eciQmyxJ21ND.jpg

First order of business, make 2 new cork washers. These hand made washers may not necessarily win any cork washer pageant but work well.
2v2eciQSDxJ21ND.jpg

This is the lid of the smaller jar. The center wire wheel started just like the one on the left. It was worn down fighting the top of the cap.
2v2eciQhmxJ21ND.jpg

Airbrushed some good old gloss black enamel.
2v2ecW2LhxJ21ND.jpg

As expected, the glass jar cleaned out beautifully! The inside of the cap was "wire wheeled" as well and clearcoated with automotive lacquer. I made a siphon tube from aluminum and carefully calculated the exact bend angles with a technique called "eyeball engineering" i.e. keep bending until it works! :)
2v2ewfR2GxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ewfRvSxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ewfRUVxJ21ND.jpg

For the big jar I went "patina" or "rat rod" style. It was cleaned and a very lightly wire wheeled, then clearcoated to preserve the old look. Debating whether or not add a dullcoat over it. Maybe not. What do you think?
2v2ewfRJLxJ21ND.jpg

On both, the paint paths were cleaned and cleaned and then cleaned some more.
And there you have it. Two refreshed paint jars ready to rock and roll.
2v2ewfREgxJ21ND.jpg

2v2ewfRHWxJ21ND.jpg

Hope you approve.

Thanks,
Ismael

Back