Review: Com-Art Medium

AndreZA

Air-Valve Autobot!
I have a big Com-art range. I think it's actually the biggest in South Africa. I think it's because I ask the agents to import a few bottle for me every few weeks. The last time I asked for a 4oz. (128ml) bottle of Medium even though I had no idea what it does. They did not even have it on their price list but ordered it anyway. Two weeks later I had it in my hands. I started using it at a ratio of about 1:1 with the paint and then about 25% water. The stuff just makes the paint so much smoother. Last night I managed to go for about 25 minutes before have to pick my needle tip clean. And then it was not even too bad. And cleaning up was also faster. It is as if it makes the paint not stick to metal. I must add that I use very low air pressure but I did before I started using the medium aswell. So I like the stuff and will continue using it untill I find something even better.

That's good to know Andre, I have a few Com-art colours and I really like them, you don't hear much about them because every body talks about createx paints and they are usually a bit cheaper than Createx.

So what's the Meduim for really?
Is it for textiles?

Okay, this stuff is impressing me more every minute I'm using it. Today I worked for a couple of hours and I did not have to pick the needle clean once. Awesome.

Okay, this stuff is impressing me more every minute I'm using it. Today I worked for a couple of hours and I did not have to pick the needle clean once. Awesome.

Do you think this "wonder elixir" could work with other brands of paint? could be handy stuff if it did.

It does work with other brands. I tried it with a local brand and Daler Rowney's FW inks.

I know I'm a pest but I would love to know all the details off of the bottle/container of this stuff so I can look it up, it might just help with my H&S Evolution problem.

Could it be that this amazing stuff is a "*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!er" by that I mean does it also hold back drying?.

Thanks for the info, sounds like good stuff.

@Cordyk, where did you get your com-art paints from?, possibly a link please.

My local art shop has a few in stock so I just bought a couple, I like the fact that the bottles have a small ball bearing in like an aerosol rattle can for when you do the 'shaky shaky shaky':) plus the twist top lid that for easy drop control. I have seen them on eBay or from
http://www.everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/Com-Art.html

Thanks for that Kev, I want to try and find that medium to see if it helps my Evolution any, I bought 10 of those twist bottles empty at my supplier in Rotterdam, I paid €5 for the ten, there handy for mixing the colours I use most or I know I'll use again, they don't have the ball bearings in but I put those my self, as you say there real handy for filling your gun without mess, I have 250ml Schminke bottles and I get more on the floor than anything.

I know I'm a pest but I would love to know all the details off of the bottle/container of this stuff so I can look it up, it might just help with my H&S Evolution problem.

Could it be that this amazing stuff is a "*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!er" by that I mean does it also hold back drying?.

Thanks for the info, sounds like good stuff.

@Cordyk, where did you get your com-art paints from?, possibly a link please.

No pest at all.

I would also like to know what is in it but their labels are generic laser printed labels with only colour, size and number on. It does feel like it is a bit of a *$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!er. It only takes a few seconds longer to dry but doing thin coats you don't even notice it. I don't know how this will affect working on nonporous surfaces though.

Edit: Why does the forum convert r e t a r d e r into gobelygook?

No pest at all.

I would also like to know what is in it but their labels are generic laser printed labels with only colour, size and number on. It does feel like it is a bit of a *$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!*$#^%!er. It only takes a few seconds longer to dry but doing thin coats you don't even notice it. I don't know how this will affect working on nonporous surfaces though.

Edit: Why does the forum convert r e t a r d e r into gobelygook?

A good question, but I know that the forum automatically controls words which could described as offensive swear words, politically incorrect words, and that sort of thing, I happen to know that a standard list is used which the moderators and add and subtract from.

I think that the word R-e-t-a-r-d is in the list because it could be construed as a means of referring to persons of a diminished nature, the list is designed to protect the forum from abusive or offensive text, and since we have lady members that's not such a bad thing, you will notice the er on the end was allowed so that only the word r e t a r d was cancelled, I've heard some people call other people that, and it aint nice.

P.S. Thanks again for your help, with your info and Cordyk's also I can look into it and maybe solve my problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have nearly used poor language on here, would of been a waste lol. I would love something to end tip dry.

Back